Go Back   oOple.com Forums > General > Electrics

Old 06-07-2009

Default Can of worms time - which radio brand for a new racer?

Knowing full well that this one could run and run, i'm thinking of upgrading my radio set for racing.

Currently using the acoms 2.4 that i bought for bashing, stick with this set for the mo or change, is my first query?

looking at the spektrum sets, as they seem to offer a good balance of being cost effective and have good features.

appreciate your thoughts.

mat
Old 06-07-2009
Lee-Mag

Well, i have used KO for 10 years + and it has always been faultless for me, im sure futaba is the same for others, its more down to feel but as a very well known racer said when he changed brands "they are just 2 sticks" so the important thing is to feel comfortable and you will do better because of it.

SUPER SEED

I am getting my own oOple blog !!!

Paint by www.Mikovic.com
Old 08-07-2009

solid advice dude, thanks.

i'll give a few sets a try at some point in the future, seems to be that there are very few stick sets around though, which is interesting.
Old 08-07-2009

Send a message via Yahoo to rcmadd

it would depend on what racing you are planning to do

if its just club then your acoms will do just fine
Old 08-07-2009
Mad Member

So sticks or wheel?

I use wheel, and recently changed from Futaba's cheapest 2.4ghz set, the 3PM, which I had from new and liked at the time, up to a second hand Futaba 3PK running on Futaba's 2.4ghz module, and I have to say there is no contest. The 3PK just feels better to drive with. Not sure how it does it but the car just seems to respond much better and smoother with the 3pk than it ever did on the 3PM.

I guess you get what you pay for, and it depends on how seriously your taking it!
Racing in South West: http://www.mendiprcraceway.co.uk/
Racing in Wales: www.caldicotrcracers.co.uk
Kept running by: Yokomo via MB Models & www.tracksidespares.co.uk
Shells by Square Crabs
Old 08-07-2009
Mad Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matisse View Post
i'll give a few sets a try at some point in the future, seems to be that there are very few stick sets around though, which is interesting.
What kind of set are you looking for? You mentioned the Acoms and Spektrum in your first post which suggests you are using wheel. Really for the vast majority of people, sticking with the kind of radio you are used to is best. There is no benefit to running a stick if you are used to a wheel.

Reason for so few sticks on the market is that us Brits are about the only people in the world that still buys significant numbers of them - everywhere else is more or less exclusively wheel. And sticks are becoming less common as more and more RTR newbies are learning with wheels. It's only us ageing electric racers that use two thumbs. For that reason there are a lot of reasonably priced quality wheel sets, but very few sticks.

My view, as ever, is that you can't go wrong with Futaba.
Old 08-07-2009

true i've used futaba in the past, was good then.

i'll probably stick with the steerwheel as its what i'm using now, i guess what it is is that i dont find the acoms comfortable whilst racing (micro at the mo), its just seems a bit binary (if you follow what i mean, no middle ground just on or off) when steering.

ta for the thoughts guys. i'm gonna try the spektrum of a friend soon and see how it feels.
Old 08-07-2009

Default radio

hi, used the ko type r for some time and then switched to futaba 3vc with spektrum, both great sets but prefer the futaba as the exponential tabs 2 for throttle on left side, two for steering on right side (one to go up, one to go down can be used while driving depending on circuit, cant go wrong with either, was a nice type r set on yesterday for £95 in for sale forum. good luck
Old 08-07-2009
Spends too long on oOple ...

to be honest, the Acoms 2.4 will cover you for a good while, as you start racing, 10 model memory, adjutable steering end points (EPA) and Dual rate (turn the amount of steering thow up or down) and thats mostly what you will need for now.
Old 08-07-2009
Mad Member

Spektrum DX3R is excellent. If you wait a bit there's gonna be a review of it soon on here
Old 08-07-2009
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

I'm running the Acoms myself, and I have sat on my desk here a perfect working order KO Espirt 2. I bought the Acoms as a 'trial steerwheel, trial 2.4gHz' thing, expecting to use the KO or Sanwa sets most of the time, but I love it and have totally converted.

If the steering seems wrong to you I'd suggest you look at your servo, not the radio for that.
Old 09-07-2009
Mad Member

The switch from Futaba 3pm to 3pk felt a little like going from binary to High def, but as Si Coe mentions, wouldn't hurt thiniking about the servo as well.
Racing in South West: http://www.mendiprcraceway.co.uk/
Racing in Wales: www.caldicotrcracers.co.uk
Kept running by: Yokomo via MB Models & www.tracksidespares.co.uk
Shells by Square Crabs
Old 09-07-2009

running a scanner MG servo, so i'll try changing that out see what it feels like.

I'm only club racing so don't need anything more than the Acoms provides feature wise, but one thing all of the responses seem to point out is that it's abut being comfortable with your kit.

ta for all the help guys, i think i've got a lot of experimenting to do before i make up my mind on this one.
Old 11-07-2009

i have always used steerwheel and over last 20 yrs i nhave had most makes.
quality wise top makes have to be
sanwa and futaba. sanwa most popular tranny by far with most international pro racers, but you either love or hate the fact that the wheel and trigger are in line. took me agaes to get used to
new futaba 4pk is awesome piece of kit really well make.
ko helios works really well but feels cheap compared to the above. the plastic actually creaks in your hands!!!!
spectrum they are about same qual as ko personally i am not a fan but i can see the attraction.

personally i would not swap my sanwa m11 2,4 ghz for anything its got everything i could ever want and has one thing i really like.............you can adust the tension of the trigger really tight it gives you much finer control of throttle!!

hope this helps
Reedy
DJ KIRKY
Old 11-07-2009

i really should not post at 2am my typin and spellin well poor i have serious brain fade!!!!!!
Reedy
DJ KIRKY
Old 11-07-2009

It's all personal, but I love the DX3R from Spektrum. I have used their DX2.0 and 3.0 before, but this one is the best. Dropped to 4 AA batteries instead of 8 which lightens it in the hand. Adjustable tension, 30 model memory, easy to use functions and adjustments. You can even save different settings for the same car and switch between them with ease.

Also, the new DSM2.0 it uses offers much better value for money on the receivers. At a retail of over £200 it's quite a punt if you haven't had a test with one.

I recently had a go with a KO 2.4 - couldn't tell you the model, but it's full lock on the wheel was much further round than the Spektrum. This I personally didn't like, but others do. Depends whether your steering is in the digits or in the wrist I suppose.

Hope the waffle helps.
Old 09-10-2009

Sanwa gemini 2 is good for a budget
but its 40mhz fm tho
Old 09-10-2009
Mad Member

If you don't want to drop massive amounts of cash a Sanwa M8 is great and cheap secondhand over ebay.com or ebay germany. It will fit either the Sanwa or Spektrum DSM modules and offers plenty of adjustment possibilities.

I still can't decide which I like better, the M8 or the M11...
Old 11-10-2009

futaba 3pk mate all you will ever need trust me
Old 11-10-2009
Mad Member

I recently bought the KO PROPO EX-5 UR and its a little belter
comes with 2 receivers too
http://www.kopropo.com/america/index...=35&Itemid=138