Go Back   oOple.com Forums > General > Vintage RC

Old 06-02-2016

Default Diary of a car buying addict!

Ok I admit I've got a problem, I know I'm in good company here but a massive collection of Mardaves, a couple of RC10 Reres, a growing Tamiya collection, some Thunder Tiger Phoenix TA B3 remakes, and far too many modern Schumachers have been joined by a new addition.

I used to have a sweet Schumacher Cougar 2, I had to sell it about 8 years ago, regretted it ever since!

So last night I picked this up, it's a strange collection of Cougar bits, my intention is to build a runner I can race again from what is basically a pile of crap!

I was really hoping there was 2 cars in here, but in reality the second cars worth of bits just aren't much cop, so will just be used for parts.

I will be after a few bits, namely some decent shocks, I'm unsure whether to use or sell the purple chassis, the trouble is the silver chassis is pretty rough.

Old 06-02-2016
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

Default Cougar

That looks to me to be a Cougar mk1 with a modded cougar 2 works chassis. You can see from the pictures that the previous owner has re-drilled the chassis to take the cougar gear box.

Front is cougar mk1 with the rear tower to look also like cougar mk1.

One of the rear bulkheads in the spares parts is a cougar 2 works. This has the additional lower hole under the 2 rows of holes.
Old 06-02-2016

Thanks Mark,

So my thoughts are to use the purple chassis seeing as it's been bastardised, are there any disadvantages to using the cougar 1 front end? I'll use the works bulkhead.

The gearbox on the car has black plastic eccentrics, the spare box has white, what are the differences? Is there any real benefit to hunting out a works gearbox? Bearing in mind I'm after a runner not a shelf queen.
Old 06-02-2016
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

The black eccentrics are from the early top cats/mk1 cougars I believe. White was on the cougar 2 and works models. I dont think there is any advantage just different colour. Although the white came on the pro-diff so there could be a difference is size but not 100%

The front of the MK1 makes it a longer wheel base over the swept back cougar 2 wishbones. Nothing else is any different just the wishbones. Bulkheads, top brackets etc.... all the same for all cougars.

The works gear box was moved back on the chassis to try and gain extra grip in the wet or dirt tracks. This is were the cougar lost out to the rc10......

On the works gear box the motor slots are vertical not horizontal like the standard cougar box. So to adjust the gear mesh you move the motor up and down. I dont think you would notice a real difference in the works box other than a pro-diff. But that is if you can find one plus the cost of one as well.

It also depends on how much you will be running it. Just at Iconic meets or your every meet......

Last edited by xfactor; 06-02-2016 at 04:06 PM.
Old 06-02-2016
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

Olly,

Does it have a slipper clutch fitted ? I cant tell from pictures.
Old 06-02-2016

No slipper! The spur is held on with an O ring, I'm sure from memory my old Cougars spur was screwed on..... The O ring surely isn't right it doesn't locate the spur very positively!

I will stick with the cougar one front end, LWB will be a bonus for me with my horrible driving! As the track (I want to but never get round to) I race at is high grip carpet the standard gearbox will be fine, at least the ebay hunt can begin now!
Old 06-02-2016

Given the extra holes is there any value to the purple chassis, I'm just thinking as well as being driven on track I will run it outdoors as well, the chassis will end up scratched and it's in nice condition it almost seems a shame!
Old 07-02-2016

Default chassis

i may have a spare newly polished chassis for sale or trade
12674263_1728706700696605_1472427837_n.jpg

12695883_1728706694029939_403302618_n.jpg