Go Back   oOple.com Forums > General > General Race Chat

Old 25-11-2010
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

Default Marshalling duties

I had an incident during my final at Taplow last Sunday that made me want to ask this question and see what sort of debate would follow.
As a marshall what is expected of you.
The situation that happened to me.
I had made my way up to 3rd after starting 6th in the A final, second place crashed, I saw it out of the corner of my eye, I decided to go round the outside of the crashed car which would have put me in 2nd, as I went wide the marshall ran out to marshall the crashed car, whilst doing this managed to kick my car into the wall, as he was marshalling the crashed car a few more ran into the marshall, he put the 2nd place car on his wheels, then put the cars that had run into him on their wheels, then saw my car up against the wall. I was then marshalled, I lost some 6 seconds and 4 places, well race over, no chance after this.
So what takes priority when marshalling, the crashed car or the cars coming?
If the marshall would have left the crashed car I would have been in 2nd, if he would have marshalled without getting the way I may have been secong, for sure I would have remained in third.
Should the marshall be 100% sure he does not affect any other cars race, or marshall the car that had earned the better position as fast as possible.
Let the debat begin.
I have seen a wide and varied level of marshalls at many different races. I think this is an interesting topic.
I was a bit disappointed with what happened to me in my final, but after that's racing,or is it???
Old 25-11-2010
Mad Member

This is an excellent debate DC and one im sure a situation many racers have found themselves in.

Personally i think the marshal should have waited untill all the cars including yours had gone through, and then recovered the rolled car when it was clear. I dont think its acceptable for the marshal to kick your car whether it be accidental or not, but he should have certainly recovered your car before any of the other cars behind you.
Old 25-11-2010

What a can of worms !!!

But if you were the car 2 that had crashed, and the marshal let all the cars past and then got to you, and losing 6 places because the Marshal waited.... Would you be asking the same question ??
Old 25-11-2010
Mad Member

Marshalling is, in my opinion, somewhat of a grey area. It shouldn't be I know. Some people say the first priority is the marshalls safety. Well, If you're in 8th off road or large scale it most defo is, but as for 1/10th off road, it's the first car that crashed, then the next one and so on.

I've been in races where the marshall is too busy watching the race to notice which one crashed first, which is frustrating to say the least.

Your dude should have been paying attention. Simple as that, nothing can be done, so I'm afraid it goes down to a racing incident
SWorkz S12-2

Instagram: crazylthirteen
Blogger: http://the-croucher.blogspot.co.uk/
Old 25-11-2010
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

I agree, but to be fair the the marshal, he didn't even know he had kicked it, haha. And to make it even worse, he apologised to the guys he marshalled first, after the race, and didnt even look at me hahahaha
Old 25-11-2010

As a marshal its easy to get over excited... I used to!! My new approach( after being abused numerous times!!) is..you crash.. your fault! I wont get in anyones way or for that matter, put your car down in front of someone elses car! Thats my opinion, however i always move as quick as i can ( unlike some people who really cant be arsed and who usually shout the loudest when they are racing!) As for your experience DC, i really sympathise and feel your dissapointment.
Old 25-11-2010

Second place shouldn't have crashed

~Tiverton Radio Control Car Club-
Old 25-11-2010
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarlowS View Post
What a can of worms !!!

But if you were the car 2 that had crashed, and the marshal let all the cars past and then got to you, and losing 6 places because the Marshal waited.... Would you be asking the same question ??
Most likely not be asking the same question, but I have seen this sort of thing happen before, and it happening tome has given me the platform to post the question on here, and hopefully raise the awareness to the impact marshalling has on our racing lives. I hope this debate will improve all of our marshalling!!!
Old 25-11-2010
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pops View Post
As a marshal its easy to get over excited... I used to!! My new approach( after being abused numerous times!!) is..you crash.. your fault! I wont get in anyones way or for that matter, put your car down in front of someone elses car! Thats my opinion, however i always move as quick as i can ( unlike some people who really cant be arsed and who usually shout the loudest when they are racing!) As for your experience DC, i really sympathise and feel your dissapointment.
Cheers dood!!!
I had a great day racing at Taplow and 2nd would have been wonderful, but this little incident did not dampen my days racing at all!!! Sh1t happens eh!!!
Old 25-11-2010

Marshalling can be difficult at times depending on the marshalling positions etc but in my opinion you never run out in front of another car.
If you can safely get to the 1st car in time ( without interfering with any other car ) then ok-but generally a clue'd in marshall should be sensible about it.
After all-as a racer they would be pretty annoyed like you DC if it happened to them.
Old 25-11-2010
oOple Advertiser

No argument or debate in my mind Dave - the priority of a marshall must be with the cars still racing just like popping on ball joints etc.

My pet hate is if a car crashes and you have no where to go but to go into it and the marshall picks up the crashed car and puts it in front of you - man oh man do I see red with that LOL !!
Old 25-11-2010
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

IMO the marshall should be 100% sure he does not affect any other cars race.

In the example you gave the marshall not paying attention to the other cars could have gotten himself an injury as a result of them hitting him.

As long as the marshall is poised to rescue the crashed car as soon as is safe then I don't think you can ask for any more.
Old 25-11-2010
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

I will be the advocate,

say the marshal thought he could get to the crashed car without affecting another's race?
What then?

And what's the best way to get a "marshalling standards" type of attitude across?
At drivers briefing??? A show and tell video??? Tell your mates???

This is a good debate!!!!
Old 25-11-2010
Spends too long on oOple ...

Marshal cars as you wished to marshal, but you must be aware of what is happening to be effective, if you are standing there with your finger up your nose, chatting to your mate etc, your not being effective.

As for the order they are marshalled, that's a difficult one, if you drive into a crashed car, are you any more deserving to be marshalled first? If you hit a marshal cause they haven't paid attention to what is happening and run in front of your car, yes you should be marshalled first.

In the end, nobody is a 'trained' marshal, so can't be treated as such, and in the end, safety first!
Old 25-11-2010
Spends too long on oOple ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freakypen View Post
Marshalling can be difficult at times depending on the marshalling positions etc but in my opinion you never run out in front of another car.
If you can safely get to the 1st car in time ( without interfering with any other car ) then ok-but generally a clue'd in marshall should be sensible about it.
After all-as a racer they would be pretty annoyed like you DC if it happened to them.
Pretty much my view and club standard marshalling can vary massively.

However the distinguishing aspect is lazy Vs accidental incidents. That's what pisses me off.
Old 25-11-2010
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

The marshall should get to the car if it is safe for him to do so, And not get hit (this is formost in your mind with rallyx) If you hit him or errm he ran into you, realy he should not have been there as he should have waited and was well within his right to do so untill all cars had passed.

Now how many times in a big final has a marshall be hailed a hero for some die hard marshelling to one of the front runners, yet if he had got it wrong, slipped over been hit be the cars in 2nd 3rd and 4th thus letting the other places through and costing a top boy some points, more than lightly he would have been informed he was an ahole by most of the racers and there followers.

So in the case at the start of the thred the car should have sat on it's lid untill you had passed, as he made the mistake in the first place and would have to wait.

but this said, if you are on the mashall point what would you have done? split second decision that we all get wrong now and again...you must do at your age Mr church

www.norfolkbuggyclub.moonfruit.com

kyosho optima,Bosscat,Boomerang,,RB5 Vega,RB7,,RC12 5.2, TLR22-4,MP9,HB807T
Flask of tea & a rollup
Anglia model centre & CT Models
http://www.oople.com/forums/showthread.php?t=28117
Old 25-11-2010
oOple Advertiser

mmmm!!!
I think if the marshall feels he is going to make it and with all good intentions fails to make it then we will have to kill him afterwards LOL

I think if the marshall is just stupid then, well, what can I say the first part would have to be true !!!!

It's common sence surely Dave - is it not???
Old 25-11-2010

Its a conspiracy Dave - they're all out to get you

I reckon good skills to the marshall - after all, he managed to accurately kick your car out of the ball park - and the way you drive matey, that's no mean feat -

In all serious now - it's impossible to say whether or not he was paying attention without actually being there. What is more feasible is that he made an initial misjudgement - which fortunately didn't end up in an injury - and then compounded it at your unfortunate cost.
In an ideal world, the marshal will make accurate split second judgements, not endanger themselves and not impede others but just as in racing (assuming the marshall was concentrating), he has to make a split second judgement call and in this instance, it went horribly wrong for you.

Obviously, the more feasible explanation is that he just didn't like your shell dude
Old 25-11-2010
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Church View Post
I will be the advocate,

say the marshal thought he could get to the crashed car without affecting another's race?
What then?

And what's the best way to get a "marshalling standards" type of attitude across?
At drivers briefing??? A show and tell video??? Tell your mates???

This is a good debate!!!!
You would hope that was the case, but some don't pay attention, I have no idea how you would enforce it or 'publicise' it....

At club we often have a hard job just getting people out to marshall, let alone getting them to be effective once they are there!
Once you find the answer please don't forget to share!!
Old 25-11-2010
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

Yes it's common sense Tony,But even I, the Dc, have got it wrong, thanks Dwarf for pointing this out!!!
But let's try and educate people to get it right more often!!!