Go Back   oOple.com Forums > General > Vintage RC

Old 31-01-2014

Jen233233 , witig44 ,naushad and mid, 4 layshafts are available for you guys as requested. Next in line is eddscott.
Old 03-02-2014

Default B4 parts needed

http://www.rccarshop.eu/spares/team-associated-spare-parts/team-associated-b4/9604-associated-slipper-hub-outer.html x 2pc
http://www.rccarshop.eu/spares/team-associated-spare-parts/team-associated-b4/9605-associated-slipper-spring.html x 1pc
http://www.rccarshop.eu/spares/team-associated-spare-parts/team-associated-b4/associated-slipper-pad-rc10b4-2.html
This is a list of the B4 parts needed to complete the conversion.
don't forget the 79 - 82T B4 spur gear, I use the 81T myself
Old 03-02-2014

Payment sent, many thanks
Old 03-02-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by eddscott View Post
Payment sent, many thanks
Ok, naushad bought from another guy. so one is for you.
Old 05-02-2014

Default new instructions

To every one buying my layshafts. I have deliberately designed this new batch to be unable to slide the 5x10 bearings all the way through. If you want to slide the bearings all the way through, just sand the affected areas a little bit and they will slide through. I designed them this way to prevent the bearing on the spur gear side from falling out of the gearbox and causing the layshaft to not be supported properly. So its normal if you cant push the layshaft further inwards from the spur side. I have already taken into consideration the space that you will need to insert the e clip on the opposite side of the shaft. Conversely, you could always install plastic part TOPM-6, as listed in step 4 of the optima mid manual. You can place this spacer after the bearing and before the inner b4 slipper pad. Just make sure this spacer is trimmed down to 4mm in length.

Also the plastic slipper adjustment tube I included is quite long and once installed on your Mid could rub you rear tyres. The solution to prevent this is simple, either use old Kyosho Optima mid or Lazer ZX/ZXR rims or any rims with similar offset, or if you use modern kyosho rims, cut the tube a little shorter before you glue them to your gear cover. Also remember to flip your rear shocks to the back, like the Lazer so that the right shock will not get in the way of the lengthened layshaft.
Old 06-02-2014

will your ZX-R layshaft work with the VTS or B4 slipper setup?
Turbo Optima Mid SE
Turbo Optima Mid SP
Optima Mid Custom Special
Lazer ZX
Lazer ZX-R
Lazer ZX-S
Old 06-02-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by HKS_TRD View Post
will your ZX-R layshaft work with the VTS or B4 slipper setup?
That would be the VTS because welshy40 cant stop raving about how good the VTS is.
Old 06-02-2014

Have you made any for the B4? I have a spare B4 slipper I was planning on using
Turbo Optima Mid SE
Turbo Optima Mid SP
Lazer ZX
Lazer ZX-R
Lazer ZX-S
Old 06-02-2014

Quote:
Have you made any for the B4? I have a spare B4 slipper I was planning on using
yes I have made one with for the standard B4 slipper. But I think welshy did say that the layshaft can work with both versions, if I am not mistaken, the only difference is the VTS version will have a longer screw end for the spring. I will check with welshy40.
Old 11-02-2014
Mad Member

Hi Guys,

I have a problem with the tolerance between the Mid-B4 shaft and B4 slipper plates - I had a real problem getting the B4 slipper plates onto the keyed part of the shaft, it took real brute force to get the back slipper plate on and to remove it now will require a puller - is this normal? I'd have thought it should be a close fit but should slide on and off quite easily - this is the case with both plates - as if either the shaft is too big or the plates ID and key are slightly too small?

Anyone else had similar issues?

Thanks,

Dan
Old 12-02-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanB4 View Post
Hi Guys,

I have a problem with the tolerance between the Mid-B4 shaft and B4 slipper plates - I had a real problem getting the B4 slipper plates onto the keyed part of the shaft, it took real brute force to get the back slipper plate on and to remove it now will require a puller - is this normal? I'd have thought it should be a close fit but should slide on and off quite easily - this is the case with both plates - as if either the shaft is too big or the plates ID and key are slightly too small?

Anyone else had similar issues?

Thanks,

Dan
Well it could be your slipper plates are damaged or have seized after some time. its best to put a little oil before assembly. It shouldnt happen to your layshaft as your was actually my personal shaft which I used for a few weeks.
Still, lets hear from those who have bought the shaft if they have problems with the sliding fit of the B4 plates.
Old 12-02-2014

I have only just recently assembled the layshaft as per my build thread. I found the inner plate was a bit tight though it does come off by hand. I thought it may have been due to the anodizing. I haven't run the car yet to see if that makes it harder to remove.
One thing I noticed was that I had to assemble the slipper a few times till the spur gear ran true rather than wobbling. Not sure what caused that but perhaps it was related to the inner plate binding
Turbo Optima Mid SE
Turbo Optima Mid SP
Lazer ZX
Lazer ZX-R
Lazer ZX-S
Old 12-02-2014
Mad Member

I'm now sorted thanks to my Dremel
Old 12-02-2014
Spends too long on oOple ...

Quote:
I have only just recently assembled the layshaft as per my build thread. I found the inner plate was a bit tight though it does come off by hand. I thought it may have been due to the anodizing. I haven't run the car yet to see if that makes it harder to remove.
One thing I noticed was that I had to assemble the slipper a few times till the spur gear ran true rather than wobbling. Not sure what caused that but perhaps it was related to the inner plate binding
The wobble is due to one of the associated slipper plates not being perfectly exact all around as ive had the same issue and bought another section and its perfect.
Answer UK team driver
Designer of the Lazer ZX/ZXR carbon fibre tub chassis
Designer of the Lazer ZXRS
Old 12-02-2014
Mad Member

Any reason I should invest in the v2 slipper plates? I assume the spur and slipper pads are the same between the v1 and v2 expect the v2 is vented and uses a bigger spring & nut?

I'll be running an 8.5 in my modified Turbo Optima Mid Special.

Cheers,

Dan
Old 12-02-2014

Quote:
Any reason I should invest in the v2 slipper plates?
The fact they look cool should be reason enough. I'm going to get a second pair of plates anodised for my ZXR Vintage Carbon Tub runner
Turbo Optima Mid SE
Turbo Optima Mid SP
Lazer ZX
Lazer ZX-R
Lazer ZX-S
Old 12-02-2014

Quote:
Any reason I should invest in the v2 slipper plates? I assume the spur and slipper pads are the same between the v1 and v2 expect the v2 is vented and uses a bigger spring & nut?

I'll be running an 8.5 in my modified Turbo Optima Mid Special.

Cheers,

Dan
I am running a hobbyking 8.5 too and the slipper and plates do get hot but never melts though. Slipper still holding up after 12 packs of 15 min runs with that 8.5
Old 20-02-2014

Jen23 your slipper shaft is on its way.

The optima mid front nylon arms is ready. 4 pieces available for sale.
Each is U$30 a pair includes shipping.
Old 20-02-2014
Spends too long on oOple ...

Ok guys, picture of the layshaft for the Lazer ZX / ZXR. Rear one is the very first proto type, second at the very front is the third version. You may not see but there are several differences, we have cut the central block to better position the spur and also changed the design slightly on the one way shaft. Also the end of the slipper side screw thread has also been changed.

Ok the position of the slipper clutch puts the outer section of the VTS just touching the spur cover however that doesn't do any wear to the cover or slipper but you will get some scratching to the cover but its ok. Ive also made a slight error on my dimensions so needs to be updated on the final version. The current latest version layshaft is fractionally lighter than the original which is great as it means less weight and less stress on the motor.

Im still testing and will have one more event in March. Once over Im taking it out of my car and putting into a normal gearbox and will post pictures for you all to see. Then when we have the dimensions exact on the final product Alcyon should be able to sell it.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Layshaft.jpg (162.5 KB, 27 views)
Answer UK team driver
Designer of the Lazer ZX/ZXR carbon fibre tub chassis
Designer of the Lazer ZXRS
Old 24-02-2014

Thanks welshy40. I drove my optima mid custom yesterday at a 1/8 track and it proved challenging. Flipped the car at a huge jump and first bent a mid top rear shock tower, re bent it and went again, a successful jump and then next another flip, broke a MPP right front arm. That was the end of my excursion yesterday. Damn. I am getting tired of this. On a little positive note however, the modern 1/10 buggies like the ZX-6 and Durango DEX 410 didn't do any better either compared to my ZX suspension mid. Now I use a ZX rear aluminium shock tower at the rear. Hope its good enough to resist bending.