Go Back   oOple.com Forums > Events & Venues > CLUB TALK > Bury Metro

Old 22-11-2012
Mad Member

Default Building a table top/whip table tops at outdoor venue...?

Now this is just a thought and I don't know the logistics of it but I was thinking the outdoor track would be so much better and a lot more character (like the old track or southport) with some more permanant features. My proposal is we build a table top/ whip jumps like Robin Hood raceway in front of the rostrum. I would gladly give up my time to build that as I think the track is a bit bare with very little permant features. What do we think about doing it over winter while the track is not in use? Again I dot know the logistics but want to see if there's a demand which I reckon there is and more importantly who would be up for it?
I think this would boost the club and attract more racers to club meetings

Gavin
Old 22-11-2012
Mad Member

I have been noseying round on line at 1/8th nitro clubs and I have noticed how good the tracks look with many features jumps table tops woops rytham (spelling) sections. Have a look at Stoke and Frankley track Gav to see what they are like.
Old 22-11-2012
Mad Member

I think the section of whip/whoops whatever they're called at RHR dirt if front of the rostrum are brilliant think the track would benefit hugely if it had something like that.
i know it's a lot of work but if we all mucked in could we do it?
Old 22-11-2012
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

The thing is the old track had a big jump that:

1: Many complained was a car breaker
2: Used to get massive puddles around it
3: Attracted a lot of unwanted attention

Its point 3 that matters here.
It was quite normal to turn up at the old track and have to turf a bunch of bashers with nitros off to set up the track. Then when we started to pack away there would be a crowd of kids waiting to ride it on their BMXes.
The nitros used to attract complaints from the neighbours about noise, and even though we are an electric club they are still technically 'our fault'. The kids used to damage the lips on the jump with their wheels, drop litter (broken glass especially) and generally vandalise the track. Furthermore if any of them got seriously hurt messing up to jump, legally we are responsible even though they are trespassing!
The new track was intentionally designed to be dull without track markings on it. It doesn't get so many nitros and bikes, hasn't had too much vandalism and isn't a PR/Legal liability.

In other words - by all means make a jump, but please make it removable. That setup was chosen for a good reason and the reason remains.
What we need is a removable jump that is neither the size of the massive tabletop monster, nor as violent as the ski jump. Something more like typical indoor jumps, but painted in a suitable coating that it will still grip when wet.

Yz4 - Yz2
DEX210 - Cobra 4210- DEX410
RC10 Team - Manta Ray -
RC10T
Mini Trophy - Blizzard - Wheely King
Tz4 - GT24B

BMRCC
Emergency back-up race controller
(but only if nobody better is available)
Old 22-11-2012
Gypsy Member

do it
bury needs jumps
but it also needs storage space
i think rogs jump could be modified to be a bit more user friendly
weve been going on about features for ages what about the lifting astro and reshaping of some features
or adding some differant surfaces i no it would be a bit costly both in manpower and funds
but it would add a bit of spice to track , an it does need something ..........
Old 22-11-2012
Mad Member

It seems the club since I've returned to racing and to the new track are cutting their noses to spite their face, it sounds so PC gone mad!? Same thing with the roof from the rostrum... We all get wet coz of a few kids.
All we're talking about is moderate sized table tops/whip jumps. Surely we can handle a few kids?
Temporary jumps are just not the same as shaped jumps under the astro. I'm just putting this out there from a racers point of view, other local clubs are attracting far greater numbers than we are and there must be one main reason and I'm sure it's the track. our track and the size of it is great and it's got huge potential. But at the moment it's basically touring cars with the double jump the only standout feature. I just think some new features (preferably a jump/table top) but something new would be an improvement to make over the winter?...
Old 22-11-2012
Gypsy Member

+1......
Old 22-11-2012
Mad Member

I get the feeling it'll be left falling on deaf ears but we'll see on Sunday what roger reckons
Old 22-11-2012
Mad Member

Also if jumps are a concern from kids then Why not put a bumpy section in like the back section at southport? Jumps would be nice but it just needs some more permanent features whether its a table top, jumps, bumpy section, level changes. Like I said I'd happily give loads of time to make this happen. But obviously need the go ahead from the club and other members and other people to help (preferably with experience from building the track in the first place
Old 22-11-2012
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

I'm not sure I get how the track is supposed to effect our standing in terms of local clubs.
Southport is always the busiest, but their track actually has less jumps and features than ours has!
Ribble run indoors on a Friday night, and get a somewhat different crowd as a result. Their track is completely flat bar one or two tiny hops, but they are busy every week.

Its not a case of cutting our noses - its the harsh reality of 2012. Our problems are not unique (lots of tracks get vandalised) but unfortunately our circumstances make it exceptionally bad. Our track is on public land in a built up area (Unlike say RHR which is on private land in the middle of nowhere, but still got smashed up!) and very visible (Southport is in a public park, but tucked away to one side) so it is an obvious target.
We also don't (or didn't when the new track was being built) have a large team of willing helpers to repair damage.
We do intend to have a roof on the rostrum - but a secure one.
Removable jumps might not have the same feel, but fixed jumps have one major disadvantage - they are fixed! Our track may look featureless, but it offers limitless layout options, and with movable jumps we need never race the same layout twice. Other clubs pretty much run the same track every week......

Yz4 - Yz2
RC10 Team - Manta Ray -
RC10T
Tz4 - GT24B

BMRCC
Old 22-11-2012
Mad Member

Yes that's exactly my point southport has no jumps yet it has character and load of feature. The best bit being the bumpy back section, why couldn't we build a bumpy section? Kids wouldn't be bothered to rides their bike on that? Just something else if not jumps. A good well designed bumpy section would be brilliant. Surely there's no case against that?
Old 22-11-2012
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gavin Collingwood View Post
Yes that's exactly my point southport has no jumps yet it has character and load of feature. The best bit being the bumpy back section, why couldn't we build a bumpy section? Kids wouldn't be bothered to rides their bike on that? Just something else if not jumps. A good well designed bumpy section would be brilliant. Surely there's no case against that?
Southports members complain about the bumpy section. It wears down tyres fast and scratches chassis.

Now before you say it yes, I know - Offroad racing!
All I'm saying is that you can't please everyone, and all track 'improvements' also have a downside.
I was in favor of concreting over the big central dome, with a Bury logo painted on as a change of surface - but then I did the Woodvale Rally meeting at Southport and killed a set of tyres. In an entire outdoor season with my 210 I've used up just 2 sets of Minispikes, and both were fine till I went to Southport. Our current track just doesn't wear tyres much which means the real cost of racing is a lot less. Might not sound much but if you add a bumpy section and tyres suddenly last meetings instead of months that won't help numbers either.

Yz4 - Yz2
RC10 Team - Manta Ray -
RC10T
Tz4 - GT24B

BMRCC
Old 22-11-2012
Mad Member

And southport has miles more feature than bury. It has concrete, cobbles, bumpy sections ect. Now I'm not saying do all that but surely we could build something new?
Old 22-11-2012
Mad Member

Southport wears tyres because of the concrete asphalt and cobbles not because of the bumpy bits. If we made a bumpy section under the astro, bingo tyre wear the same.
Old 23-11-2012
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

Quote:
And southport has miles more feature than bury. It has concrete, cobbles, bumpy sections ect. Now I'm not saying do all that but surely we could build something new?
Absolutely. We certainly need to do some restructuring and reshaping of the existing features, and there is a case of adding some features at the same time. Some bumps under the astro makes sense - it wasn't considered at the time as the old track was very bumpy indeed and we were glad to get somewhere smooth!
But actually we have more features than you'd think already - they just aren't always used or used in the right way. The big dome is actually best employed as an off camber bend, the cross works especially well if approached at an angle, we rarely even use the banked bend. The problem is as they are under the astro you can't see them so people forget they are there!

Yz4 - Yz2
RC10 Team - Manta Ray -
RC10T
Tz4 - GT24B

BMRCC
Old 23-11-2012
Gypsy Member

just cos your to tight to buy tyres si, doesnt mean we cant have a bit of tarmac or cobbles . the old brick corners were ace . and didnt damage chassis... much . but like you said OFF ROAD
get some materials and let me loose with the rest of the boys who want a bit of mixed surface and airtime .
also a metal bar that bolts across the front of the jump take off would stop any pit bike nitro action
they do it at bmx trails to stop idiots
we could easilly fit it .... in front of the amazing new features that bmrcc need on track

also got an idea for making a wall ride outside with rogs table top . well easy no need to butcher it just a couple of screws
Old 23-11-2012

All sounds interesting, I suppose we'd need to see what Roger says first.

Chris
Old 23-11-2012
Mad Member

Yeah the removable metal bar in front of a whoop jumps is a good idea that would stop idiots, I like the sound of it. I've always wanted a couple of big jumps that have not only a take off but a down ramp to aim for. If we could build something like the whoops at RHR in front of the rostrum it would be awesome. And as for people not seeing features maybe we could spray white lines next to them in a similar way that they do in the US on clay on the take offs and landings of every jump?
Old 23-11-2012
Mad Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Si Coe View Post
Absolutely. We certainly need to do some restructuring and reshaping of the existing features, and there is a case of adding some features at the same time. Some bumps under the astro makes sense - it wasn't considered at the time as the old track was very bumpy indeed and we were glad to get somewhere smooth!
But actually we have more features than you'd think already - they just aren't always used or used in the right way. The big dome is actually best employed as an off camber bend, the cross works especially well if approached at an angle, we rarely even use the banked bend. The problem is as they are under the astro you can't see them so people forget they are there!
Also about the banked bend, the problem is that it's too far into the corner and too sudden a banking so it's hard to implement it into a track
Old 23-11-2012
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

Quote:
Also about the banked bend, the problem is that it's too far into the corner and too sudden a banking so it's hard to implement it into a track
That why we need to restructure. Remember this track wasn't built by us, just for us. It was meant to be a lot higher but the builders won't take it above the fence - being taller it would have started earlier and had a more gentle curve. Of course there is nothing stopping us making it how it was planned.......

Yz4 - Yz2
RC10 Team - Manta Ray -
RC10T
Tz4 - GT24B

BMRCC