Go Back   oOple.com Forums > Car Talk > Tamiya

Old 09-09-2013

Send a message via Skype™ to Aussie Top Force

And the Paint Job. Decided to try some new colours. Looks pretty bright in sun light!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg TRF 201-11.jpg (312.6 KB, 65 views)

David
Secretary/Treasurer
Southern Highlands Off Road R/C Car Club Inc.
(NSW Australia)
http://shorrcccinfo.wix.com/shorrccc
www.facebook.com/SHORRCCC
Old 11-09-2013

Default What's Different?

https://www.dropbox.com/s/6x95595eli...2018.19.10.jpg
Old 13-09-2013

First post!

Here is my TRF 201 before the XR conversion:

And part way through:

I'll post up finished pics once it's done. :-)
Old 13-09-2013
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevenich View Post
Shocks in front of rear tower,cant see anything else different,whats the reason for fitting them in front of rear tower
Old 14-09-2013

Yes, Shocks on the front side. With the arms swapped the shock are at a terrible angle if mounted to the rear of the shock tower. To fix it requires 6-8mm spacer between lower shock eyelet and rear arm. That extra leverage looked fragile. I'll test and provide feedback.
Old 14-09-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevenich View Post
Yes, Shocks on the front side. With the arms swapped the shock are at a terrible angle if mounted to the rear of the shock tower. To fix it requires 6-8mm spacer between lower shock eyelet and rear arm. That extra leverage looked fragile. I'll test and provide feedback.
Why swap the arms? This would only shorten the wheel base. Is it recommended by the instructions? I'm waiting for my XM from Stella.

David
Secretary/Treasurer
(NSW Australia)
Old 15-09-2013
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

Ok, i had the same problem with the tamiya vega, rear wishbones are reversed L goes on R,R goes on left with the sweep going towards the front of the car,what we do aswell is take 2mm off the wishbone (rear side) when fitted and put a 2mm washer to the (front side) of the wishbone this is for extra clearance off the corner of the chassis. Then i have fitted a 3mm washer at the bottom of the shock so as to give a better angle of the shock where it screws into the wishbone.

This maybe the same for the XM, but not sure as not got the XM as yet but try the above it may help.
Old 16-09-2013

The XM Conversion turned up today. The instructions suggest reversing the rear arms (left to right and visa versa) for tracks with lower traction.

Now I have a dilema. Run the car in rear motor configuration as built, or convert to XM before running

A good dilemma to have I guess! I've never run a mid motor 2wd so I think I'll covert for maiden run, plus the XM TRF Blue parts look the goods!

David
Secretary/Treasurer
(NSW Australia)
Old 23-09-2013

Delete
Old 05-10-2013

Default Dilema Answered! TRF 201 XM

Some pictures of my TRF 201 XM. Completed it today. Felt very neutral on the practice run (driveway/street). Can't wait to get it to the track
Attached Images
File Type: jpg TRF 201 XM (1 of 11).jpg (309.8 KB, 74 views)
File Type: jpg TRF 201 XM (6 of 11).jpg (346.6 KB, 80 views)
File Type: jpg TRF 201 XM (7 of 11).jpg (373.2 KB, 69 views)
File Type: jpg TRF 201 XM (8 of 11).jpg (262.8 KB, 77 views)
File Type: jpg TRF 201 XM (10 of 11).jpg (423.2 KB, 114 views)
File Type: jpg TRF 201 XM (9 of 11).jpg (359.7 KB, 80 views)

David
Secretary/Treasurer
(NSW Australia)
Old 21-12-2013

Hi, this is my TRF 201 XM/XR. I bought this package from Kentech. (Thx for the clean and fast sale btw)
I ve got a new Proline Phantom body coming in next week also.
Probably going to build a lil' diff from what it is now as ESC needs a new spot.
I drove a TLR22 before this one and struggled with it. Not finding good balance driving it. Too tiny to build all elecs into. This TRF is much ez'er to find good setup and much better handling imo.

Old 02-01-2014

Hello Everybody

In 2012 I raced the TRF 201 and replaced it with TLR22 to keep up with competition.

Unfortunately the 22 is a diva on low grip tracks or I am just not able to get a good setup...

As I love Tamiya, and due to the updates (BB shocks and XR Chassis), I decided to go for XR in 2014.
I still have all spares and ordered a new kit as well as all upgrades except the Aluminum steering.

For sure I will post a pic as soon as everything arrives.

There is only one question that is still in my mind.

Are there any rumors on a successor?

Gerrit
TRF201 XR, DN01 Zahhak, DB01 Durga, F104 PRO Ferrari F60, F102 Benetton B192, DT-03 Neo Fighter Buggy, DF03 Avante MKII, Bear Hawk, Dyna Storm, Hot Shot 2007, Avante 2011, Top-Force 2005, TT-02B Neo Scorcher, Mignight Pumpkin Metallic Special, TLR 22, Lazer ZX5
Old 02-01-2014
Mad Member

Gerrit, I'm sure the 201XR will be a lovely car, but little setups are available so it may be hard to find a truly good setup for that...

Re- your TLR22, have you tried to replicate the setups from Wesley van Helmond? I drove his 22 and his 22 2.0 and it is amazing on low grip using mid-motor! I'm just saying: it may be worth a shot

3D Printing Upgrade Parts - FF210 Buggy
Old 03-01-2014

My first run of the 201 XM was a day of chasing rear end grip on very dusty track! I had some success, but the track kept going away as well. I the end I swapped to my rear drive 201 LE with +8 Exotec conversion. It was more consistent.

That particular track is usually very grippy, but a think the lack of rain and high tempteratures was causing it to dry out and break up.

But thats why having a rear motor and mid motor 2wd is a good option! No need to rebuild the rear of the car to suit the track!

In time, when the track is in better condition I'll be able to tune the XM. One thing a I did do which helped was to move the top shock mounts front and rear inboard. Next time I'll play more with spring rates and role centre and rear toe. I've just purchased the XA mount for 3.5 degree to in. I may also try reversing the rear arms from side to side as per the instructions "for low grip tracks".

Most of all I need to work on my driving!

David
Secretary/Treasurer
(NSW Australia)
Old 03-01-2014

The 22 will be used as MM car for carpet tracks with a high amount of grip.
I will use it for this weekends Winterchamps 2014:

http://www.efac-hohenems.at/events/w...erchamps-2014/

It is in German, sorry.
At this event Swiss Champion Patrick Hofer and former European Champion Hupo Hönigl will take part.
Under normal conditions (outdoor) I loose 7 seconds on Patrick

This might be the evidence that, no matter which car I drive, I need more practice.
But as a father, mountainbiker and with a job that wont release me for 10 hours a day, I just do not have enogh time.

Therefore I choose to drive XR just because it is a Tamiya and I like the look of it.
Sometimes it is just nice to build and tune a chassis and use it on the track

The XR for an outdoor clay track.
We have carpet jumps, but all in all it is low low low grip. We had blue grooves just one evening before a big race, after some rain all grip gone.
One of the more ambitious tracks around :-)
TRF201 XR, DN01 Zahhak, DB01 Durga, F104 PRO Ferrari F60, F102 Benetton B192, DT-03 Neo Fighter Buggy, DF03 Avante MKII, Bear Hawk, Dyna Storm, Hot Shot 2007, Avante 2011, Top-Force 2005, TT-02B Neo Scorcher, Mignight Pumpkin Metallic Special, TLR 22, Lazer ZX5
Old 04-01-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by fastfred View Post
The 22 will be used as MM car for carpet tracks with a high amount of grip.
I will use it for this weekends Winterchamps 2014:

http://www.efac-hohenems.at/events/w...erchamps-2014/

It is in German, sorry.
At this event Swiss Champion Patrick Hofer and former European Champion Hupo Hönigl will take part.
Under normal conditions (outdoor) I loose 7 seconds on Patrick

This might be the evidence that, no matter which car I drive, I need more practice.
But as a father, mountainbiker and with a job that wont release me for 10 hours a day, I just do not have enogh time.

Therefore I choose to drive XR just because it is a Tamiya and I like the look of it.
Sometimes it is just nice to build and tune a chassis and use it on the track

The XR for an outdoor clay track.
We have carpet jumps, but all in all it is low low low grip. We had blue grooves just one evening before a big race, after some rain all grip gone.
One of the more ambitious tracks around :-)
I'm pretty much in the same league. Father of 4 kids ranging from 4 to 11. The oldest has just started racing. With all the family commitments, work and no local track - the nearest is 1.5hours away I don't practice. Club racing is practice!

I race Tamiya for the same reason, love the quality and the fact that it looks great and is something different.

I'm glad the kids are interested, just more work in the pits though for me!

David
Secretary/Treasurer
(NSW Australia)
Old 27-01-2014

Firstly I'm loving the various 201's posted in this thread. I'm a die-hard Tamiya TRF fan so it's a shame the car isn't better supported by Tamiya.

I'm tempted to buy a new TRF201 to race at my local club as they are heavily discounted on the Tamiya-USA website at the moment.

However I also want to buy the XR chassis conversion (#42253) but they are still very expensive from Tamiya-USA. Does anyone know of alternative suppliers that still have stock of the XR conversion? All the obvious places seem to be out of stock.

Thanks
Old 27-01-2014

As for the XR and XM kits, i have been told by a farily reliable source that once the kits are sold there are no plans to make a new batch and the worlds verson will not be produced now.

Shame as iam impressed with the quality of the kits and the big bore shocks too

jK
Old 10-03-2014

Default XM Experiment is over....for now!

I gave the XM another run for its money against some stiff competition yesterday, at the first "Sweep Cup", held at Castlehill, Sydney Australia.

Whilst, my driving still needs some work, the XM platform is not suitable for off road where traction is not consistently "high". I can see that it would be great on astro turf or manicured "sugared" track. It jumps well and cornered well at high speed (were grip was up) but, it had too much over steer where the track had low traction and it cost too much time. If you could stick to the "blue" line you could get a decent lap time, but trying to avoid other cars or make a move sent it sideways. They did sweep the track, which made things a lot better for Q3, but it was all too late by then.

So I'm going to covert it back to XR spec and see if I can drive it more consistently on a future visit to Castlehill. BTW TQ was a rear motor TLR 22.2.

I haven't given up on mid motor though. I keenly await the TRF 201 Mid Motor worlds kit, which moves the motor and batteries further back and sweeps the rear arms forward. Rear motor cars that were having success yesterday had more wait to the rear than the XM.

David
Secretary/Treasurer
(NSW Australia)
Old 22-03-2014

There it is:

What a beauty!!!

Hopped up with everything available except Titanium screws.

Look and feel is simply great.

Cheers
Gerrit