Go Back   oOple.com Forums > Events & Venues > CLUB TALK > Surrey & Hants RCCC

Old 04-06-2013

Question 20 years out and thinking of coming back

Hi All,

Firstly a big thanks to Apex Models who took me through everything that was new and what I would need to come racing. I will be going back to them to order all my gear if I take that step (pretty much a given).

I raced at a national level in the Tamiya F1 and Salon classes when it first came out (I raced off road before this). I used to race CAT and then the Pro CAT and I have seen that a new version is now out called the K1.

I'm very interested in competitive racing and noticed from your boards that the 4WD section is rather lacking numbers but this what I used to do and 2WD back in the day really did not do it for me.

I plan on coming down this Thursday to see what is what and have a look at both classes. I would be interested in knowing the kind of kit being used and with Apex just around the corner spares should not be an issue.

I have been looking online and after going to Apex I think I have steered away from the K1 and looking at least for 4WD at the Xray XB4 but open to 2WD if it looks like fun.

Any information greatly appreciated on motors that people run as well as tyres etc.

I look forward to the replies and seeing people on Thursday night.

Again thanks Apex Models (I came in last night shaved head.. ginger beard)
Old 04-06-2013
SHRCCC Legend

Good morning!

Yes, 4wd is down on 2wd from years ago. IMHO 2wd has got better and the mid engines drive more like the old style 4wd.

Many have the X-ray XB4 and run it in 2wd by removing the front drive shafts. It performs great. Then you can run it in 4wd when you need.

Pop down, say hi, have a look, have a chat, see where you go.

I would say 2wd though and maybe a 4wd as a second class.

Neil
Old 04-06-2013
Awesome Admin

Send a message via AIM to Col

Hey Woody
Great guys at SHRCCC with a large presence here on oOple, so they'll see you right.
Don't rule out the K1 - many at my club (YORCC York) rate it highly.
Good luck with whatever you decide upon

edit: beaten to it by one of the great guys at SHRCC!
Old 04-06-2013

Well I have been looking at 2WD today and the B4.2 looks good with either the RTR from Apex Models (I really would rather build mine) or the Factory version.

I have read that you can get a centro conversion for this but not been able to find it (I work in IT... but rather busy lol). This would be something I might loo at doing during the build or have it so that I can change later.

I would also really appreciate feedback on what motor, servo, rec and ESC to use along with rubber for the track. I plan on getting different weight oils for shocks etc.

It would be really handy if anything suggested Apex can get as said before they are just around the corner from me.
Old 04-06-2013
Mad Member

The B4 and Centro (C4) are good, but a little expensive for swapping from rear motor to mid motor...... (170 quid for the centro kit, on top of buying the car in the first place! http://www.cmldistribution.co.uk/cml...tId=0000006341 )

Some of the other cars on the market have all (or almost all) the parts you need to swap between mid and rear (Losi 22, DEX210 off the top of my head, probably some others).
If you are an ex 4wd man (i was) you might find the mid motor 2wd cars a bit more forgiving/fun, i hated my B4.1, but was mostly driving it on surfaces it really wasn't suited to (Astro and high grip carpet). Going to a Mid motor was an eye opener!

Looking at one that can be run Mid only (Cougar SV?) or mid AND rear might be a better idea.
Old 04-06-2013

Mattr cheers for the info. I have had a look at the Losi 22 and like the idea of mid mounted but need to check if Apex stock the parts etc. I'm guessing from the photos on the Losi site that it runs lipo saddles in teh mid mount view or is that incorrect?

What sort of servo, receiver and throttle control would you suggest. I would want to be very competitive.

Cheers
Old 04-06-2013
SHRCCC Legend

Honestly, would go for a B4.2 and a Centro Conversion. There's a new one coming out anyway:

Options:

Xray: can run 2 or 4wd and plenty have them and have gone quicker due to having one. About 8 per meeting.
Losi 22: Hard as nails and a great car to start with and run. About 8 or 9 per meeting have them.
RB6: Great car and product but some find it hard to set up.
Yokomo: Lots of people changing to these and they seem a great car.

My personal choice would be XRay or Yokomo, you'll see plenty of both this week. Losi 22 would be next on the list only as it's an older model now (but still a great car and it's bullet proof!!!)

If you are a 'racer' and have 'raced' I'd steer clear of the RTR as you'll soon be changing it all and upgrading.

As for Electrics, most are pretty good now, Friends run ESC @ £50 Chinese imports, I run a £160 Orion R10 and we're matching each other on the track. Depends how deep your pockets are and how long your arms are!!!.
Old 04-06-2013
Mad Member

Yup, Losi 22 takes saddles in various formats depending on rear/mid motor. Apex have a pretty comprehensive selection of spares as well.

As for radio/servo/motor/ESC, its more down to your preference (sticks/wheels) and what classes you drive/the club runs (not up on UK race classes, not raced there since the 80s), you'd be better off waiting for a response from a member!

(And you will get a bit of a shock when it comes to lipos and brushless!)
Old 04-06-2013
SHRCCC Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodbine View Post
Mattr cheers for the info. I have had a look at the Losi 22 and like the idea of mid mounted but need to check if Apex stock the parts etc. I'm guessing from the photos on the Losi site that it runs lipo saddles in teh mid mount view or is that incorrect?

What sort of servo, receiver and throttle control would you suggest. I would want to be very competitive.

Cheers
Mid motor is essential I'm affraid, see my other post re cars. Losi 22 you wont go wrong with. Apex keep lots of spares and MORE IMPORTANTLY other racers will have them on them come race day and will help out where they can. You will need saddles for any car nowadays.

Can beat a metal gears Savox Servo, plenty in the range, if you choose a certain car you might need a low profile one (shorter!) so it will fit in. Handset with come with reciever and that's done to feel and budget, plenty to hold Thursday night.

Two sets of lipo's will do you fine for racing.
Old 04-06-2013

Xray gets my vote build quality is second to none the kit oozes excellence there are also several team drives including myself at shrccc regularly so assistance with parts and setup will always be available

James
Old 04-06-2013

As James says, the Xray goes extremely well in 2wd, despite it is a 4wd buggy. Several locals at SHRCCC have the XB4/2 so plenty of advise and you can easily switch between the two.

I'm currently switching to a Yokomo, but Dudders advise is good. Come down on Thursday (sorry lads not there again as off to Spain with work) and get a feel for what car would suit you.
Old 04-06-2013

Quote:
Hi All,

Firstly a big thanks to Apex Models who took me through everything that was new and what I would need to come racing. I will be going back to them to order all my gear if I take that step (pretty much a given).

I raced at a national level in the Tamiya F1 and Salon classes when it first came out (I raced off road before this). I used to race CAT and then the Pro CAT and I have seen that a new version is now out called the K1.

I'm very interested in competitive racing and noticed from your boards that the 4WD section is rather lacking numbers but this what I used to do and 2WD back in the day really did not do it for me.

I plan on coming down this Thursday to see what is what and have a look at both classes. I would be interested in knowing the kind of kit being used and with Apex just around the corner spares should not be an issue.

I have been looking online and after going to Apex I think I have steered away from the K1 and looking at least for 4WD at the Xray XB4 but open to 2WD if it looks like fun.

Any information greatly appreciated on motors that people run as well as tyres etc.

I look forward to the replies and seeing people on Thursday night.

Again thanks Apex Models (I came in last night shaved head.. ginger beard)
Only been out for 20 years..... You should fit right in with the rest of us.
Old 04-06-2013
Mad Member

Default yep

I am not about much at the moment, But I am an Xray driver and as Jlucas said there are plenty of us about.
best quality car I have had since returning after a 23 year break. been back 2 years nearly, had almost every 4wd and 2wd the modern RC world has to offer.

I would say the XB4 is best value for SO many reasons, its 2 cars in one.
Its fast, build quality is amazing, Very tough and easy to set up. Will run in 2wd and 4wd equally as well and only a 5 min job to swap between the 2. Parts not the cheapest, but again, does not break much so not really an issue.

The losi 22 as mentioned, is a great car, very capable even thou been out a while. plenty of guys race them, I did for many months and its as tough as they come. very tight on space so suitable electrics must be purchased. A great choice if wanting to do it on a smaller budget. Very cheap spares but you wont need much they hardly ever break.

I had all the schumachers inc the sv2 and K1, there great cars, a little harder to set up but the back up from the British company is 2nd to none. Spares reasonable prices and very easy to get.

I am not an associated fan so cant really say much about the B44/B4 etc, I tried them didn't like them.

All buggies that have a conversion kit available, like the Vega, DB1, Centro etc, are gona cost LOADS. as you buy the car, then almost the same again for the conversion, Unless buying 2nd hand already fitted. I would avoid these as a "1st buggy" back, easy to change later on once you have been racing again and then decide what you really want.

Apex wont steer you wrong, Pop down the club Thursday as mentioned there all great guys and I am sure there will be TONS of advice and help and you can see pretty much all the cars mentioned on the nite.

Welcome back to the RC world....

Darren, aka, Tartman.....................
2013 & 2014 OOPLE INVERNATIONAL
BEER RACE RUNNER UP!

FEEDBACK LINK =
Old 05-06-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattr View Post
Yup, Losi 22 takes saddles in various formats depending on rear/mid motor. Apex have a pretty comprehensive selection of spares as well.

As for radio/servo/motor/ESC, its more down to your preference (sticks/wheels) and what classes you drive/the club runs (not up on UK race classes, not raced there since the 80s), you'd be better off waiting for a response from a member!

(And you will get a bit of a shock when it comes to lipos and brushless!)
One of the club racers has his losi 22 for sale as he has up graded to a x-ray. Ask for Olly on Thursday.
Old 05-06-2013

Cheers but I would rather build, configure and understand the car.
Old 05-06-2013

Quote:
Cheers but I would rather build, configure and understand the car.
Nothing wrong with buying second hand can strip the car down and rebuild configure and understand that way
Old 05-06-2013

Very true but after being out for this long I want to do the entire process... Just something I feel will help me better understand everything again.

Looking forward to Thursday and I have one question ... Do you have mains power on site or would I need another way of charging... Back in the day it used to be generators etc...
Old 05-06-2013

We have mains, bring a small extension lead just in case and you'll be fine.
Old 05-06-2013
SHRCCC Legend

I wouldn't buy a car off Olly anyway
Old 05-06-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dudders View Post
I wouldn't buy a car off Olly anyway
That's not nice is it Neil !!