Go Back   oOple.com Forums > Events & Venues > CLUB TALK > Surrey & Hants RCCC

Old 13-06-2013

Exclamation Orion Charger qi 605 - Power cable Warning!

The power cable on my Team Orion battery charger failed yesterday evening while I was charging a pack of Nihm's. It seems to be a generic make that is also sold under other names, but this is the one I've got.

It had probably failed slightly before, as it took two attempts of plugging it into the mains before it would turn on. Then as it began charging I noticed a rather unpleasant aroma. About six inches from the plug, the insulation around the cable had melted and one of the wires was severed.

Glad I was keeping an eye on the charger. Going to contact the shop where I purchased it and also the manufacturer. It is around two years old but has not been used much.

I thought it best to let you guys know in case anyone else uses the same charger or power cable.

The only thing I can think of is that I have wrapped the cable around the charger when storing it on occasion. The sharp edges of the metal cased charger may have damaged the cable.
Old 13-06-2013

Just shit cable mine lasted less than a year before it perished and snapped couldn't send it back as mk ain't around anymore plenty on fleabay though cloverleaf kettle lead
Liars run for cover the truth is taking over!!!
Old 13-06-2013

Thanks for the info bigt, very much appreciated. I purchased mine from Modelsport. Will still contact them about it as they really shouldn't be selling unsafe equipment such as this. I'm really surprised by the lack of quality, especially as a charger is something many youngsters will be using unsupervised.

I'll buy a better quality cable as you suggest.
Old 13-06-2013
Mad Member

Default yep

I have 2 and both cables are crap and split in many places, just got a cheap kettle style cable and replaced them.

its a poor quality cable but a great charger.

sadly, there are many niggles in the RC world, we just have to fight through the bad parts lol............

2013 & 2014 OOPLE INVERNATIONAL
BEER RACE RUNNER UP!

FEEDBACK LINK =
Old 14-06-2013

Cheers Tartman, will grab a kettle cable. Beats lugging around the old 12V car battery!