Go Back   oOple.com Forums > Car Talk > General Car Talk

Closed Thread

Old 16-03-2007
Spends too long on oOple ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by daz View Post
Bit bloody expensive at £350!!!! To say all it is, is a XX4 clone
I think that is just a little unfair, the guy has done what lots of people think of doing with the XX4, ditching it's drivetrain, and with this, the weight distribution and layou has been kept the same, plus I think it is the best of both worlds.

Proof will be in the running though.
Old 16-03-2007

I think the design looks good...the parts looks pretty well made too...i wouldnt mind racing one....Markus Heini, the designer and maker of the MKI-4 is a really nice chap too, i've emailed him..he know's what he's doing and is very friendly with his replies...Cheers
Old 17-03-2007
Mad Member

Send a message via AIM to BenG Send a message via MSN to BenG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick Goodall View Post
That's quite difficult without running it to be honest......

They won't be running it for the full season I meant. I am 1/3rd of the way through building my MKI4, and I like it.
Old 21-03-2007

Send a message via ICQ to Sebastian Send a message via AIM to Sebastian Send a message via MSN to Sebastian

Hi guys. I got an MKI-4 a while ago for a review in Racer Germany. Here are some pics in my tamiyaclub.com showroom. http://tamiyaclub.com/showroom_model...7089&sid=14186 Feel free to ask questions about it.

I raced it last weekend at a smaller indoor race in Nothern Germany and I was able to pull the most constant laps with it. It wasn't the fastest but the most consistent. I stood on P2 for the finals but due to my conservative style of driving and a broken crash back arm I dropped to P5 in the final standing.

Cheers

Seb
Old 21-03-2007
Mad Member

wow Sabastien, I love your shell and yellow wheels.....

They are cool...

I have nearly finished mine, and will be makign a few adjustments to creating my own edition, a few CNC parts I guess

Thanks,

BEn
Old 21-03-2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by www.tyrc.co.uk View Post

They are cool...

I have nearly finished mine, and will be makign a few adjustments to creating my own edition, a few CNC parts I guess

Thanks,

BEn

Wow would love to see what adjustments you gonna make, cos as far as i see, the MKI4 is already as good as it is...
Old 21-03-2007
Spends too long on oOple ...

There are some areas that, structuraly needs sorting, and others, astheticaly plus using common threads, not imperial or metric. The idea is good, it needs finishing.
Old 22-03-2007

Send a message via ICQ to Sebastian Send a message via AIM to Sebastian Send a message via MSN to Sebastian

Quote:
Thanks, Ben.

I agree that it could need a few tewaks here and there. I'd like to get rid of the "woodscrews" or what ever you call it for some proper hex screws. And, most important, I would like to see the middle bulkhead (the part where the layshafts and the motor are attached) in "Hudy style" black alloy. Nicely milled to safe weight but strong enough to hold the hold and the keep the motor even cooler.

And Ben: you should do yourself a favour and create some cover for the rear diff! Grab a decal sheet and cut it to slide over the outdrives so that it fit onto the pulley. The "uncovered" diff is the only week point I discovered so far.

Cheers

Seb
Old 22-03-2007
Mad Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sebastian View Post
Thanks, Ben.

I agree that it could need a few tewaks here and there. I'd like to get rid of the "woodscrews" or what ever you call it for some proper hex screws. And, most important, I would like to see the middle bulkhead (the part where the layshafts and the motor are attached) in "Hudy style" black alloy. Nicely milled to safe weight but strong enough to hold the hold and the keep the motor even cooler.

And Ben: you should do yourself a favour and create some cover for the rear diff! Grab a decal sheet and cut it to slide over the outdrives so that it fit onto the pulley. The "uncovered" diff is the only week point I discovered so far.

Cheers

Seb
Thanks mate.

I had already those in mind, plus maybe new shock towers e.t.c
Old 22-03-2007
Mad Member

Send a message via MSN to xx4-nutter

i think the car looks cool, but i think the xx4 is still FAR supriour to this .....

the car looks very "90s" ? / yokomo yz10 ish ? .. maybe just me but i dunno not too keen on this, dont look too bad or good either..

Garry D.
Old 22-03-2007
Awesome Admin

Send a message via AIM to Col

So from what I can make out, this car runs XX4 shocks and geometry? Set-up should be exactly the same as a XX4 and X5 then. There you go ben - job done!!
Old 22-03-2007

Hi senior & junior racers!

Let me drop some lines from it's designer point of view It uses the SAME suspension as the XX-4 (except the rear damper rod is 1.0" and not 1.2" as the XX-4) - dampers, parts, same geometrie. So it handles & drives as a XX-4 WE - and I like that The MKI-4 has some goodies that the XX-4 has not: Roll-Center adjustable (can move all 4 blue suspension holders up & down), much better motor cooling and of course faster acceleration & higher top speed.
It's faster & more robust & takes less care time & has more setup-possibilies than the XX-4 WE. Shall we try Garry?

One very valuable setup possibility is that You can change the rear roll-center within 2 min. I often raise it by 1-2 mm and this quickens steering & gives more grip in turns. Sometimes I mount the BJ-4 front hub (as run @ the Euros 2006) -> drives as a BJ-4 Worlds.
By the way: The MKI-4 is as fast as the BJ-4 Worlds (current World Champ). In Switzerland (where I live) everyone sees that when looking at these cars. 2006 it was my driver error what let me loose the 2nd consecutive Swiss Champ title - 2005 1st, 2006 2nd place with the MKI-4.

Last but not least: I have fun & it makes fun!
Last week I run it on low grip asphalt outdoors with a similar setup (removed anti-roll bars, softer springs, a bit higher) as I used before on high grip carpet indoors - and it's cool again, it's fun & fast!

Markus
Old 05-04-2007
#1 ZX5 fan

Ben,

sooooooooooooo?

Nortech is ACE!
Old 05-04-2007
Mad Member

The car doesn't look "right" i can't explain but on initial impressions i don't like it. (Blinkered, maybe...)
Old 05-04-2007
Mad Member

I have built it, lets just say I won't be selling it.

I will run it and see what its like.

Thanks.
Old 05-04-2007

Send a message via MSN to tc2k

The shell looks rank but the chassis looks nice
Old 10-04-2007

i quite like the whole look...including the shell
Old 22-04-2007

Quote:
I have built it, lets just say I won't be selling it.

I will run it and see what its like.

Thanks.
Hi matey..so how's the buggy? You were saying that you wanna make some custom parts for it right? Not selling it anymore? Any reviews? This thread is kinda quiet...i see that you are posting more in the Aero thread...LOL
Old 22-04-2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by Funkymojo View Post
Hi matey..so how's the buggy? You were saying that you wanna make some custom parts for it right? Not selling it anymore? Any reviews? This thread is kinda quiet...i see that you are posting more in the Aero thread...LOL
i think it might be a bit of a sore point but come on ben...spill the beans
Old 23-04-2007
Mad Member

Yes this car is a whopping great sore point.

It cost me £376 (I could of got an Aero A-One , which has really peed me off).

Instead I got:

-A cardbox filled with a printed (as in normal computer printed), microsoft word made manual, several pounds worth of AE and losi bits, and these really cool woodscrews, with the worlds best cross heads

-The thinnest carbon money can buy, it flexes if you breathe on it.

- The transmission is soooooooo tight, its unbleivable.

- The shell sucks, and has a 2 holes wider than the atlantic ocean

- The 'structural' parts are, roughly(to say the least) cut from acrylic, and the kick-up plate is just bent aluminum.

And I was sooo happy that for my £376 worth, I got some blue bits

The best thing is, the battery mount, which I am using, temporarily on my prototype car, and the body mounts, which arent off the MKI4 anyway, I think they are Losi Items.

Add to this lot, my dad keeps telling me how stupid a buy was, and throwing more salt on my wound, then Aero racing release the A one, which I would have so bought and had money left over, which is the equivalent of 500 portions of mcdonalds fries been pored on the seething gash the MKI4 left on me.