Go Back   oOple.com Forums > Car Talk > General Car Talk

Old 10-05-2010
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

I disagree. With the watches people are buying a brand, badge or label at prices that are inflated to maintain that image of exclusivity.

That's not the same situation that we are discussing with regards to why the clones are cheaper than the 'real deal'
Old 10-05-2010
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

Really?

How many people want a TRF201x because its a Tamiya? Rather a lot I can assure you. They love the brand and will buy the car because of who its made by. Losi and Associated have a similar following in the US (less so here though) and the hype surrounding the release of the Durango demonstrated that image and exclusivity have a value in 1/10th too.

I see the situation as no different to high end bicycles. You can buy cheaper bikes made to look (and sometimes pretty much work) like a Specialized or a Kona, but thats not why you spend the money. You buy a £1k+ bike to own a £1K+ bike, and feel self-satisfied because of it.

Some people buy 3 or more new chassis per year. They started last year with a Cat SX, then got a B-Maxx, then a Durango. They aren't doing that to help keep the RC industry afloat - they do it because they love racing and have the money to spend on their hobby. And what better to spend it on than the newest, most hyped up car on the track?

Yz4 - Yz2
DEX210 - Cobra 4210- DEX410
RC10 Team - Manta Ray -
RC10T
Mini Trophy - Blizzard - Wheely King
Tz4 - GT24B

BMRCC
Emergency back-up race controller
(but only if nobody better is available)
Old 10-05-2010
Mad Member

Have to agree Simon

Your market analogy an hr earlier is spot on

A copy over the real deal? the real Durango DEX410 straight from Durango UK (or uk shop as i did) in that loely black box - or some chinese copy - come on !! ??
Old 10-05-2010
Gypsy Member

Default money talks

fair enough i would always rather buy from a shop in england. even better nw england.and stuff like motors/servos/radio gear ect i think its essential to buy original brand uk sourced for the warrenty back up if something does break.
not the case for any car unless its manufactured improperly ( durango drive shafts any one) and for the lovely black box your paying an extra 300 quid

still fancy one though real or copied i will still smash it up wi my driving might as well buy the cheapo one
Old 11-05-2010
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Si Coe View Post
Really?
You make several good points in respect to brands, especially Tamiya.
But I still don't believe that they are all overpriced in comparison to the clones just because of the brand name, which is how those comparisons started.
Old 11-05-2010

Well if it's all about brand and image, then we have to live with the 'high' price tag, as building and maintaining a desirable brand and image doesn't come cheap.
Old 11-05-2010
Mad Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnygibbon View Post
fair enough i would always rather buy from a shop in england. even better nw england.and stuff like motors/servos/radio gear ect i think its essential to buy original brand uk sourced for the warrenty back up if something does break.
not the case for any car unless its manufactured improperly ( durango drive shafts any one) and for the lovely black box your paying an extra 300 quid

still fancy one though real or copied i will still smash it up wi my driving might as well buy the cheapo one

get your point - however i am asumming that any copies will not be exactly the same, materials, tolerences etc

I am basing this on things like motorbikes - plenty of direct honda, suzuki engine copies - which i know for a fact are just not the same thing

of course if a copy was exactly the same with no difference at all...
Old 11-05-2010

If someone buys a knock off durango, who's company will be supported with buying spares??

Durango makes more per piece on spares and replacement parts than they do on full car kits.