Go Back   oOple.com Forums > Car Talk > Team Associated

Old 02-11-2010

Default B4 Rear end grip

HELP!!

I'm new to 2 wheel drive and raced my B4 @ Chadderton this weekend i need some help with setting it up, i've tried the set up sheets i found on here but still have the same problem, this being my car turns inn then the rear end just breaks away. I probably spent the whole day racing at half throttle :-( Any advice would be greatly received.

Thanks Adam
Old 02-11-2010
Banned

what surface where you on? selection of tyres would be 1st thing to look at, then the selection on the shock towers. I run a pretty good b4 setup but its taken a few meets to get to this buggy.
Old 02-11-2010

Its an indoor athletics track, i ran mini pins all round, Bloody annoying as people use allsorts of tyres. I ran well worn mini spikes on my B44 and they worked well just no good on my B4, just think there must be something im missing.
Old 02-11-2010
Banned

carpet? or plain sports hall? play around with the holes on your shock towers. b4 is great when dialed in
Old 02-11-2010

Send a message via Skype™ to AndyG

post up your setup, and people will maybe spot where something is missing?

ie, shock oils, pistons, springs, ride height, shock mount holes (top n bottom), anti-squat, camber, toe in, caster, axles, tyres, wing etc etc
Old 02-11-2010
Banned

Ooooh i dont know ;o)

Its different for everyone, just have a play see what works for you
Old 03-11-2010
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

I'll get a setup sheet done soon for the setup I ran on the B4 at Chadderton last Sunday - it was dialled

It might be a bit tail happy for most people as I like to drift around a bit indoors, but if anyone has any trouble at the next meeting don't hesitate to bring your car over if you need any help

Pins all round are the tyre at Chadderton in 2wd, I just about got one set to last all day at round 1
Old 03-11-2010

I am quite new to this so if this is complete rubbish , Sorry.

I got a B4 about 2 months ago and was having a similar problem but once i removed some of the clips from the suspension to make the arms sit level it seemed to help alot.

Must admit i still dont have the confidence to get all the throttle on i though but I put this down to me being new to R/C cars. The guys in the shop did tell me that 2wd is loads harder to drive too compared to 4wd but I wanted a RTR kit so got it anyway in the hope of I can learn the ropes then build a 4wd later.

Cya
Old 03-11-2010
Banned

Im sticking to 2wd it much more fun to drive and competative!

One word - weight add weight and your sorted
Old 03-11-2010

Send a message via Skype™ to AndyG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Lowe View Post
I'll get a setup sheet done soon for the setup I ran on the B4 at Chadderton last Sunday - it was dialled

It might be a bit tail happy for most people as I like to drift around a bit indoors, but if anyone has any trouble at the next meeting don't hesitate to bring your car over if you need any help

Pins all round are the tyre at Chadderton in 2wd, I just about got one set to last all day at round 1
Nice on Rich - might take you up on that.

Only done 2 x York and 1 x Chadderton since returning back. Setup heading in the right direction, but always welcome any advice I can get.

Andy
Old 03-11-2010
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam31 View Post
HELP!!

I'm new to 2 wheel drive and raced my B4 @ Chadderton this weekend i need some help with setting it up, i've tried the set up sheets i found on here but still have the same problem, this being my car turns inn then the rear end just breaks away. I probably spent the whole day racing at half throttle :-( Any advice would be greatly received.

Thanks Adam
Other than the obvious, harder and/or less aggressive tyres on the front compared to the rear, a lot comes down to messing around a finding a set-up that works for you (your driving style, surface you're running).
If you're new to 2wd, and saying you came from 4wd, I'm just going to suggest it takes a bit of a different technique - anybody can throw around a 4wd car, while it takes a bit more technique to get a 2wd around the track. You just can't be as aggressive.
Old 03-11-2010
Mad Member

Send a message via MSN to markwilliamson2001

What motor are you running? Its very easy to over motor a 2wd car inside, since you cant use the brakes as aggresively in 2wd either, as the back end comes loose.

I find an 8.5 or 7.5 MAX inside is fine. If its slippery, try gearing up a pinion tooth or two, and adjusting the throttle profile to be less aggresive, it can all help to start with.

I would give rich lowe your car for a once over, his setups normally suite me very well :-)
Old 03-11-2010

I think there may be a queue forming for that help Richard.

I only started back at Chadderton after 20yrs away. Great fun and after tweaking I think I improved. Bought some Blue front springs and been told to get some Silver front ones!

see you on the 21st
Old 04-11-2010

Thanks for all the advice guys, going to try a few things before the next round and looking forward to Rich lowes set up! Whats the veiw on anti-squat? More or less required? With my B44 i went one sofer with the springs all round and it seamed to work. Most people say that the Blue front and silver rear is the way to go on the B4 does that sound right?
Old 04-11-2010
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

Blue front and silver rear is a good starting point, I've since gone for a silver front too, which I felt gave me more consistent steering.

I'm looking forward to seeing Rich's setup too, I need all the help I can get!
Old 04-11-2010
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

I'm surprised nobody has mentioned it yet, but have you checked your Diff?? Sounds like it could be locking up, certainly not nice and smooth like it should be....

This is the sort of behaviour you'd get with a badly built diff, or one that requires a rebuild.

The only other thought i have is maybe you've got the Drag brake set-up so the car's braking too hard automatically for you?
Old 04-11-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick Goodall View Post
I'm surprised nobody has mentioned it yet, but have you checked your Diff?? Sounds like it could be locking up, certainly not nice and smooth like it should be....

This is the sort of behaviour you'd get with a badly built diff, or one that requires a rebuild.

The only other thought i have is maybe you've got the Drag brake set-up so the car's braking too hard automatically for you?

That could be it Nick there is some drag brake set i will turn that down and check the diff thanks Adam
Old 04-11-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick Goodall View Post

If it happens whenever you lift off the throttle then drag brake is the most likely cause. Remember you only have rear wheel braking, so drag-brake is like yanking the handbrake on in your car.
Old 04-11-2010
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam31 View Post
That could be it Nick there is some drag brake set i will turn that down and check the diff thanks Adam
I've still got it..... after all these years
Old 04-11-2010

Send a message via MSN to metalmickey0

My B4 used to be `Tail Happy ` too, but fixed it. Put top rear arms on hubs in middle hole. Fitted trailing axles and 30degree caster blocks on the front. Blue springs up front and silver at rear. Schumacher yelloows mini pins all round. outside and inside row of pins on front cut off on slim rims.