Go Back   oOple.com Forums > Car Talk > General Car Talk

Old 12-07-2007
Spends too long on oOple ...

I like the design, doesnt mean im going to buy one but its a nice design. Yes they may be fragile but I like it, even tho its a shaft, but it looks refreshing and the car comes with a lot more so as far as im concerned its in my list of nowaday top five cars.

Masami would chuck it without opening the box but who cares as he could drive it into a worlds A with ease if he wanted to. He could do it with his toes if he wanted to.

I also know about the prototype tamiyas using other parts from other manufacturers, but the drive train is a belt design and I prefer that to shafts.
Answer UK team driver
Designer of the Lazer ZX/ZXR carbon fibre tub chassis
Designer of the Lazer ZXRS
Old 12-07-2007
Mad Member

Do you still wear platform shoes and flares? Just to complete the retro look.
Old 12-07-2007

Nope, but can still disco hehehe.

A lot of people seem to be missing the point,

The thread is for the what we think are the best 4wd cars and what we think are the top five. End of!!

Mine are listed and I dont recall having ago at everyone on this site just due to what they chose, so if you dont like it isnt any fault of mine.
Answer UK team driver
Designer of the Lazer ZX/ZXR carbon fibre tub chassis
Designer of the Lazer ZXRS
Old 12-07-2007
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Welshy40 View Post
Masami would chuck it without opening the box but who cares as he could drive it into a worlds A with ease if he wanted to.
Hahahahahahahaha

No
Old 12-07-2007
Mad Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Welshy40 View Post
Nope, but can still disco hehehe.

A lot of people seem to be missing the point,

The thread is for the what we think are the best 4wd cars and what we think are the top five. End of!!

Mine are listed and I dont recall having ago at everyone on this site just due to what they chose, so if you dont like it isnt any fault of mine.
It's a public forum where comments/views are discussed.
Old 12-07-2007

The SB Pro was shit..the materials used were horrible, but the SB V2 was a lot better...chassis still flexed like crazy though... One of my mate's just got himself the SB V2 Pro...for the price he paid i would have to say it's a great buy. The arms and shock towers are moulded with a new stronger material and the metal parts like the outdrives, cvds...etc are tougher too...Even the carbon fibre used are of better quality...for the price..it's really a bargain..but i still do not like the shocks...As for the Lazer ZXS...it's really a great designed buggy...the Japanese Kyosho team ran the prototypes as early as 1994..the first production model was released in 1996 followed by the ZXS EVO in 2002...ZXS were used by Japanese team Kyosho drivers all the way up till late 2004...and in every Japanese national..there are always ZXS making into the A main...Overall the ZXS is a great buggy. Most of the current stable of pro spec 4wd buggies in the market are great buggies...i like all of them. Some have condemned the ZX5...i had one before...it's a pretty good buggy, the only let down were the materials used...but for that price..there's nothing much to complain about. Personally there is no such thing as the best 4wd buggy, the best buggy is the one that works best for you....
Old 13-07-2007
Lee-Mag

Sorry welshy when you said ZXS i thought you meant the sport version of the zxr from the 90`s. Im not a kyosho guru like yourself.

But i still find it very hard to take you seriously
Old 13-07-2007

Well I'll chime in with my opinion, excuse me if my choices are not quite as random as some

Best 5 of all time (listed chronologically). I consider them the best simply because they were the dominant 4wd's of their time. They all had/have features that stood out from the rest.

1. Kyosho Optima
2. Schumacher Cat XL/S
3. Yokomo YZ10
4. Losi XX4
5. BJ4

As for the top 5 currently, I would say all of the BJ4 WE style buggies would have to be pretty even - the BJ4 WE, 501X, HB D4, Yokomo etc

I think there's a possibility that the "slim" versions of the BJ4 (Durango, Aero, Atomic) may be even a little better, but until they are actual production cars available to the public, then I think it's not right to include them.
Old 13-07-2007
Lee-Mag

I think everyone agree`s that the pro cat and the xls have a legendary status along with the optimas.

The YZ10 looked so cool at the time, it was super flat. I remember always thinking that was the car to have back then. ( i was only 11)

I have heard people talking about the old PB cars, i dont know much about them but some rate them very highly
Old 13-07-2007

I'll have a go then.

Not really rated on success, design or near-religious fanaticism, just a personal list in no particular order:

1. Cat XLS - looked great, went great, end of.
2. MIP 4WD RC10 conversion - great adaptation/engineering, got to admire the patriotic Yank determination to make their RC10 a 'one-size-fits-all' application.
3. Tomy Intruder - bit of a Lazer copy, but I like the way it arrived straight out of left-field and took a few people by surprise.
4. Losi XX-4 - competitive longevity of the design speaks for itself.
5. PB Mini-Mustang - innovative single-belt, well-sealed box chassis and uniform length front/rear suspension have all since been taken and improved upon, showing the fundamental design ideas were all good.

4WD is a interesting now as it has ever been and there are lots of great recent designs kicking around. Based on success the BJ4WE deserves a mention and for sheer good looks the 501X. Perhaps they'll make it onto my slightly sepia-tinted list in due course?
Old 13-07-2007

How about the PB maxima, that drove so much better than my mini mustang, loved that backbone layout as well. But not a patch on these
Cat XLS(oooh i loved these)
Optima Mid
Yok Dogfighter
XX4
Can't pick a fifth as there are soo many to choose from, all good cars!
D4,501x,BJ4,Pred and the list goes on!!
I remember that MIP RC10(chain drive), didn't jamin jay have one at the 87worlds?

Last edited by GRIFF55; 13-07-2007 at 10:45 AM. Reason: extra bit
Old 13-07-2007
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

Purely based on the cars i raced over the years (not today's cars):

Predator - Cornered so fast and so rewarding to drive

Cat 2000 EC - Just a great all rounder, especially in the mid 90's when nearly everyone was racing it, great car.

Cat 2000 - Again as above although only raced it for a while until the EC Conversion came out

Bosscat - I had Andy Shaw's Ex-Factory car with the shocks mounted on the rear of the rear shock tower and it was fantastic and got me into racing properly doing the RRCi Series (standard class) when i was about 12.

Lazer ZXR - Although always had problems with dumping back in the early 90's
Old 13-07-2007
Mad Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick Goodall View Post

Lazer ZXR - Although always had problems with dumping back in the early 90's
you can get pills for that you know... or prune juice does the trick...
Old 17-07-2010
Mad Member

Default Wasp high-torque conversion

Quote:
Originally Posted by terry.sc View Post
Depends what you have in the gearbox Wasp high torque conversion in mine Sorry it's not spotless but mine are runners not posers
Hey, whatever happened to this gearbox? Were these good to race with?
Old 01-10-2010

Hiya,
The XXX4 is almost eight years old, and yes I know everyone thinks its a joke, but this car still goes strong with all of the Losi drivers here in Perth (Australia).
It still offers that competitive edge amongst the B44 and Kyosho.
I still race with two of these buggers and will not change until something new comes out of Losi`s door.
Old 26-12-2010

Send a message via Skype™ to Miggers

Quote:
Originally Posted by bender View Post
Well I'll chime in with my opinion, excuse me if my choices are not quite as random as some

Best 5 of all time (listed chronologically). I consider them the best simply because they were the dominant 4wd's of their time. They all had/have features that stood out from the rest.

1. Kyosho Optima
2. Schumacher Cat XL/S
3. Yokomo YZ10
4. Losi XX4
5. BJ4

As for the top 5 currently, I would say all of the BJ4 WE style buggies would have to be pretty even - the BJ4 WE, 501X, HB D4, Yokomo etc

I think there's a possibility that the "slim" versions of the BJ4 (Durango, Aero, Atomic) may be even a little better, but until they are actual production cars available to the public, then I think it's not right to include them.

I'd go with that too,though I raced the fabulous Optima Mid Customand loved it.
Mine had two years of hard racing and never broke down once,they were/are superb machines.
The Schumachers were also fantastic,it always seemd to be us Kyosho pilots dicing with the Schumacher pilots.I always wanted a CAT,but never managed to get one.

Now,I know folks are going to laugh,but can I just slip in one Tamiya?.
Nope not the much vaunted Hotshot,but the Boomerang.
It got me into rc cars and 4WD racing.
At beginner level it was a good solid design that performed regularly
and consistantly every week.

Hithankyou.