Go Back   oOple.com Forums > Car Talk > General Car Talk

Old 24-07-2007
Woop Woop Member

blimey sosidge what one of canterbury burners tracks did ya race at as i was there from the very early days when it was behind perrys of canterbury :S. started there in the mid 80's with a mardave apache progressed upto a hornet and then on through a list of samuri's rear engined optimas, mini mustangs, maxima's, xl, yokomo yz87,xls,procat,zxr,yokomo yz10, and that hasn't included the 2wd's of an ultima,topcat, cougar, rc10 stealth, b2,xx, lol
Quote:
Originally Posted by sosidge View Post
First car was a Tamiya Super Sabre.

Raced it at the local club "Canterbury Burners". Remember I had the spectacular option parts of Tamiya Pin Spike Tyres and a Parma Cyclone Stock motor in it.

woop woop racing officialy keeping team toe out inline
Old 01-09-2007

My first was a Tamiya Super Champ, about 1982, I would have been about 11. Took me about 3 nights to build, I wouldn't let anyone give me a hand to build her.

I saved every RC kit I had until I gave up at about 18,The last kit I bought was the first Losi that came out. then when I moved to Aussie I stored them in my old boys shed.

He told me if I filled up his shed with junk he would throw it out.

Seven years later I return to New Zealand, and bugger me, The old boy had thrown them all out, at least 12 cars and all the gear that goes with them. (not to mention my extensive record collection)

Picked up a TA04 a few years ago, Didn't really excite me, Then on a whim I purchased a Desert Gator,Going off-road again bought back all the fun, Then got a little carried away, have been through about 30 RC's in the last couple of years, Even bought some to build,run once and then sell. Bought others 2nd hand and sold them without running them.
Old 01-09-2007

Send a message via Skype™ to Miggers

The first for me was a good old Tamiya Boomerang in '87.#
Raced it for two years,sold it for £15 at a car boot sale to some kid who was thrilled to bits when I told him it was an ex-racer that had some wins to it's credit.
He went away pestering his folks silly to buy it for him and they came back about half an hour later and stumped up the cash.

I'd already bought and built it's replacement,the fabulous Optima Mid Custom.All the locals at the club I raced at back in '89 were green when it whistled around the track during pre-season testing.

I remember one lad,he'd be around 14,who'd beaten me in most races,had a fully hopped-up Hotshot,Technigold motor and all the trimmings.
The Optima whipped his Hotshot's ass good style and I'd still not fully got the hang of it.
He threw a right hissy fit to his old man and virtually threw and booted the poor old Hotshot against every wall he could find .

First race of the new season,what's he turn up with?,yep a brand new shiny Optima Mid Custom SE with all the Option House bits as standard.
He really was a spoilt little sh!t.

I sold the Optima in 2001.I'd retired it(and myself) from racing in 1990 and just drove it for fun for 5 years and then put it away up the loft for 6 years.

A couple of months ago,the son(he's now 24!!)buys hisself a Yoko drifter to play with.He gave me a couple of goes with it and before you know it I'm hooked again.

A few weeks ago he comes home from work with a very,very thrashed,bashed 97% complete ancient Mardave Meteor and gives it to me.
I've still got my period Futaba radio gear,a couple of Parma Cyclone 27T motors and my old Novak speedo.

The rest as they say,is history.

Miggers
Old 01-09-2007

Mine was a Tamiya QD thundershot while my older brother had a boomarang(lucky git). Then when we started racing i had a 2nd hand cougar 2 then a cougar 2000 then a cougar 2000 95 team that got replaced by a losi xx and then we stoped. When we started up a few years ago i got a xxx bk of ebay then a xxx bk2 and then a b4.
Old 01-09-2007
Banned

mine was a nitro rusty! haha i love nitro
Old 01-09-2007
Mad Member

First car for me was the Tamiya Lamborghini Cheetah, in 1982 I think, then in 85 got a Hornet, then the Hotshot which was the first car I raced, (just had to buy myself 2 of the new ones), then a Mardave Meteor, gold tub RC10, Pb Mini Mustang, then gave up for 5 years, till I got a Tamiya Egress, Cougar 2, BossCat Works, Cougar 2000, Cat 2000, XX, Pred '95, & 96, XXcr, XX4, Cat 3000 (worse car ever!), XX4 Worlds, XXX, then gave up again for 5 years, Yok BX, and 2 Hotshots

During all that had a few snorers, Tamyia TA02, Pred, Street Weapon, XXXS, now got a Cyclone Hara, and a XXXS E racer for when its wet.
Old 02-09-2007
Mad Member

Send a message via MSN to danDanEFC

My first car was a Tamiya Grasshopper. I got it for xmas and built it on boxing day.

I used the wrong screws to mount the motor and within 2 mins i had smoke coming out the back.

Not much has changed in the last 15-20 years
Old 19-09-2007

Hi mates!
I am new here from the states.

My first RC Car was Tamiya Super Champ. It is a slow heavy poke and easily broke parts when the rear parts touched solid materials (aka walls, sidewalks etc lol). My second car was a Blackfoot which I regret having (I really wanted a Supershot) but proud being one of the first owner of history in the making (the first true Monster Truck). My first proper race car was Kyosho Turbo Optima which I still have complete with the steel reinforced white fiber belt conversion. However, the first buggy I raced with was a very stock Tamiya Boomerang. It was supposed to be the TO but I was really nervous that I ended up disassembled my TO the night before the race

I was so nervous that I had forgotten that I could have pulled the Technigold motor from my Porsche 959 so I could at least compete instead of being the slowest car at the race

My last proper race car was Lazer ZX-R which I had to sell to a friend in college and when I was going to buy it back from him, he lost it during a farewell move