Go Back   oOple.com Forums > General > 1/10th OFF ROAD

Old 18-05-2015

Default 2WD vs 4WD Opinions

After a return to the 1/10 scene after a 20 year or so break I am considering the merits of 2wd vs 4wd.

I purchased a Durango DEX 210v2 at Xmas and have been running it at Mendip and also a large grass track more local to me.

I have found the 210 difficult to control around the small track at Mendip and I wondered if 4wd would be easier to drive???

I find the MM configuration is already behind the times as the KF2's and YZ-2's just fly past me anyway. Of course my driving is a little rusty too which does not help

More practice is needed before I make a decision but is 4wd a popular class? Should I stick to 2wd and put some hours in and maybe consider a front motor 2wd when my skills improve?

I have really enjoyed coming back to the hobby and want to be a little more competitive

I would appreciate peoples experience and opinions on this ?
Old 18-05-2015

Quote:
Originally Posted by G2510 View Post
After a return to the 1/10 scene after a 20 year or so break I am considering the merits of 2wd vs 4wd.

I purchased a Durango DEX 210v2 at Xmas and have been running it at Mendip and also a large grass track more local to me.

I have found the 210 difficult to control around the small track at Mendip and I wondered if 4wd would be easier to drive???

I find the MM configuration is already behind the times as the KF2's and YZ-2's just fly past me anyway. Of course my driving is a little rusty too which does not help

More practice is needed before I make a decision but is 4wd a popular class? Should I stick to 2wd and put some hours in and maybe consider a front motor 2wd when my skills improve?

I have really enjoyed coming back to the hobby and want to be a little more competitive

I would appreciate peoples experience and opinions on this ?
Hi
I think you've answered yourself on that one,4wd seems to come and go with popularity,2wd seems to always be popular
~Schumacher KF2~
~Schumacher Atom~
~BSR Basher-RallyX~
~Ascociated RC8.2e RallyX~
~TeamC T8EV3 RallyX~
phat bodies
worm-racing
http://www.mendiprcraceway.co.uk
Old 18-05-2015

I just love the look of some of the 4wd buggies though. Like everyone I seem to have an addiction to collecting as many as possible !
Old 18-05-2015

4WD is easier to drive as braking and traction are so much better. However they are more complex and therefore more expensive, the forces are higher on them when driven hard so they break more.

2WD is more challenging but ultimately more rewarding to me. I started with 4WD but switched after a year or so to 2WD and it took a while to get used to it. The advantage of the front motor cars is that they drive more like a 4WD with excellent steering and high cornering speeds. They are a handful on low grip but not undrivable by any means.

I would get a second hand KF or similar and stay with 2WD.
Old 18-05-2015

I've only just returned to the hobby again after a 15 year break and been in around 6 months this time around. When I started up again this time I bought a B5m and a Bmax4 lll.

I found 4wd hard work, the car's are more complex to work on and I found them too fast as basically a new beginner again, I also found it heavy on wear and tear parts compared to my 2wd. I've recently just sold my Bmax4 for the above reasons but wouldn't rule one out in the future once the standard of my driving increases.

I also sold my B5m and run a KF2 now and only having one car to maintain and buy parts for suits me fine. HTH.

Schumacher KF2

Last edited by Nick.W; 18-05-2015 at 09:28 PM.
Old 18-05-2015
Mad Member

Similar to others. I came back last year after 25yrs away from RC and immediately wanted 4wd (as that was what I had last time I raced) so after looking at a 2nd hand b44.1 I switched to yokomo as most common make at my club and preferred metric screws. I bought a bmax2 as well as a bmax4iii (both 2nd hand) and then found I much preferred the fun of the 2wd. I recently bought a yz2 but haven't yet found the need to run my bmax4iii.

I'd stick with 2wd. Easier to work on, maintain and more fun to drive

Yokomo YZ-2

No 4WD because nothing lives up to my original Optima. Until now maybe?...
Old 18-05-2015

Thanks guys.

Sanity checked ������

I do think I need to change to a FM car so will see what's about and try one second hand

Thanks for all the honest input. Much appreciated