Go Back   oOple.com Forums > General > 12th & 10th On Road

Old 26-05-2015

Default GT12 BRCA Kit Price limit?

Hi All,

I apologise if this has been asked before or a number of times but I am looking at my first GT12 kit and like the look of the kits from Mardave (assassin), Zen Racing and Schumacher but the kits are all £160+++. BRCA rules state the kit should not exceed £99.95

Whats the deal here, are these cars not BRCA legal?

Sorry if this is a silly question with an obvious answer I have missed
Old 26-05-2015

Hey Buddy...
This is a great question...
If you are new to GT12.. Which I was about three/four months ago.. Do yourself a favour, and get the Zen racing kit... Very few hop ups.. and run fantastic straight out the box... The kit are hard to come by however!!

I have run a thread on oople, under GT12... Help!!

Loads of info on there and you'll get some great advice people have given me over the months...

Good luck! Its a class thats immensely addictive.

Best Wishes
Stu
Old 26-05-2015
Mad Member

No, not a silly question at all as it is IMHO a slightly odd situation.

All three of the manufacturers you mention sell kits below £100 to comply with the rules. Mardave and Zen will then sell you a better kit with a number of upgrades already in the box to save you the effort of buying them separately and some money as the additional price of the kit is lower than buying all the better parts if you bought them separately. With the Schumacher you buy the kit at £100 and buy any extras you think you need on top.

Some might say that it makes the £100 limit slightly pointless and yes it has been discussed a few times!! Guess until someone goes to the effort of proposing a change to the rules it will stay there.

As Stu says, just buy one, anyone of the three you mention regularly makes national A finals so they are all competitive.

Rob
Yokomo YZ4 SF2

Last edited by RobW; 26-05-2015 at 11:19 AM.
Old 26-05-2015

Thanks Guys,

Stu I have seen your thread and already some great advice has been soaked up !

Rob, cheers. Its always difficult to decide on a kit but I have learnt from my current Durango that I should stick to the main brands that know the discipline and so I am swaying towards the Schumacher.

On a side note, why doesn't anyone race the Mardave V12 minis? All clubs seem to only allow the Tamiya models
Old 26-05-2015
Spends too long on oOple ...

Send a message via MSN to mark christopher

Personally look what popular at your local club, there is not a best car, nor is one better than the other, if your on Facebook search for gt12 circuit UK.
Rob has explained the reason of price limit perfectly.
I run Schumacher and with all the options if needed if no more than the others, help and spares are widely available too. If you ever need spares for the Schumacher.

Oh and you do need parts not in the box with the top spec Zen and mardave.

Last edited by mark christopher; 26-05-2015 at 12:18 PM.
Old 27-05-2015

Default Which GT12?

Well let me tell you a short story, before Christmas I decided to have a go at GT12 having been away from club 1/12 LMP racing for a couple or so years.
The car I selected was the Schumacher SupaStox which I built and was about to race when they released the SSGT, so I sold the SS and bought the SSGT.
I have raced this quite a few times and had some issues with the setup, some with diff drive ring slip and a some split chassis due to my sometimes erratic driving.
Then Schumacher released the lowered pivot pod, this duly added and a significant handling improvement was to be had but I was still unable to fully cure the drive ring slippage, so still some erratic handling.
In the meantime I had become aware of the Zen SSGT Race, liked it's simplicity so bought one, it does have some design flaws too but handles like a dream out of the box.
I have a few racing mates who have built and race the new Mardave, it goes very well once all of the build issues are sorted!
So the choice is yours, all of this is a very personal preference thing, cost, spares availability, ease of use, robustness are factors in the choice, so enjoy whatever your choice is, it is great competitive racing on a reasonable budget!
Old 27-05-2015

Cheers Mark, I like the Schumacher and also like their spares availability. The Zen is tempting me but I cant find stock anywhere and I have to admit the Mardave looks awesome. How do I decide !
Old 27-05-2015

Thanks Xracer, I don't my decision is made on the kit yet. I like all 3. Supastox GT, Mardave Assassin Pro and Zen Racing GT. All are around the same price (Shuey once relevant upgrades added!) So I don't know how to make a decision
Old 27-05-2015

GT2510

I feel your pain my friend...
I was in the exact same boat as you and went with the SSGT...
I love it and really have enjoyed the process of getting it slowly, and I mean slowly, set up to the right spec with all the hop ups... I am very happy to give you a blow by blow account of all the hop ups I have purchased and done, but a lot of that is spoken about on the thread you have seen.
The advice of Mark is useful, but I would say this; at all clubs there is a mix of SSGT's and Zens, certainly at the five club I have been to, so I don't think you need to choose a car relative to the club you are sign to.
Go with your gut and get stuck in... You have to learn the nuances of all the cars and they all have a certainly fettling that needs applying..
Its great, you'll love it..
I am even getting into the micro buggy scene, 1/16th so i can get some more race time.. These GT12 are for carpet tracks only and this gives us guys coming back tot he sport after a considerable lay off, a slow road back to driving.

Hope that helps!!

Best Wishes
Stu
Old 27-05-2015

Default Carpet away and off to the tarmac!

Yeah summer is here, balmy warm days (we wish) and the sound of 26cc engines draws my attention now, just bought an FG 1/5th BRCA spec Mini to play with!
Old 27-05-2015

then your in the wrong thread
Old 27-05-2015

Cheers Stu. A great help! Looking to enjoy the racing with like minded people����
Old 28-05-2015

Xracer...
That sounds a blast!!
I just looked to see how much they go for, crikey, for only £500 quid you can get an ATR one!! That's a bargain!
Not exactly something the misses would like me starting up in the lounge tho haha - transporting it must take some
Doing too!!

Good luck with that... So much to choose from
In the RC world... Something for everyone. Top stuff.
Old 28-05-2015

Default Loose threads!

Da !

OK Mark I was absolutely aware of that one but having just died the death reading about Facebook on this thread I thought a temporary change of direction ! of which, no more!
Old 29-05-2015
Mad Member

On your original question...

When we set the rules we wanted to keep costs down. The £99.95 price limit was agreed with the manufacturers and it was accompanied by a Production Class (kit only) and a SuperCup class (list of modifications allowed) with both classes catered for at Nationals.

Drivers voted with their feet - we had less than handful of Production Class entries throughout the first National season. SuperCup drivers fitted a diff and a few other small items and we all went racing the SuperCup class.

Manufacturers were offering the kits at £99.95 and the diffs and other hop-ups separately. All that has happened now is that the manufacturers have bundled the most common hop-ups in with the standard kit for an all-in price that is lower than buying all the bits separately.

Things move on - now there is a kit with a diff that is race-ready (SS GT S2 kit) and there are Mardave and Zen kits that include diffs and other hop-ups. As more and more people take up GT12 and the volumes go up, expect prices to cone down further and for race-ready cars to be higher specced. HTH
Old 29-05-2015

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlowOne View Post
On your original question...

When we set the rules we wanted to keep costs down. The £99.95 price limit was agreed with the manufacturers and it was accompanied by a Production Class (kit only) and a SuperCup class (list of modifications allowed) with both classes catered for at Nationals.

Drivers voted with their feet - we had less than handful of Production Class entries throughout the first National season. SuperCup drivers fitted a diff and a few other small items and we all went racing the SuperCup class.

Manufacturers were offering the kits at £99.95 and the diffs and other hop-ups separately. All that has happened now is that the manufacturers have bundled the most common hop-ups in with the standard kit for an all-in price that is lower than buying all the bits separately.

Things move on - now there is a kit with a diff that is race-ready (SS GT S2 kit) and there are Mardave and Zen kits that include diffs and other hop-ups. As more and more people take up GT12 and the volumes go up, expect prices to cone down further and for race-ready cars to be higher specced. HTH
The material is s1 not s2
Their is now a 4th car on the market that has carbon parts and a diff for £99,http://www.oreracing.co.uk/ore-chassis-kits

Last edited by mark christopher; 29-05-2015 at 10:12 PM.
Old 30-05-2015
Mad Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlowOne View Post
As more and more people take up GT12 and the volumes go up, expect prices to cone down further and for race-ready cars to be higher specced. HTH
Seems it is happening faster than I realised! Plenty of choice of cars with a diff, so the price limit seems to be having the desired effect.
Old 30-05-2015

I guess slowone is apt.... It was run at least the last two national and has been on the Facebook page months