Go Back   oOple.com Forums > Events & Venues > CLUB TALK > Mansfield RC Club

Old 27-04-2014

Default Please help I'm new

Hi all

I popped into your club last week and was very impressed with it. I am hoping to get into some racing with my son but have no idea where to start.

I have purchased a second hand tc02 evo (US spec) that is in imaculate condition but a lot of the terminology is frankly baffling me. Is there anybody who races Team C cars at mansfield or who is familiar with them that wouldn't mind me tagging along at one of the Mansfield meeting so I can try to learn a bit more before I spend any more money on crap I don't need . I know you guys can be pretty busy in the pits sometimes but I wouldn't get in the way.
Old 27-04-2014

Hi matey.

There are a few Team C drivers in the club and also alot of them have raced the TM2 in the past.

Regarding info and advice just come to any of use in the club even if we look busy. My only advise is to avoid me if I have a lolly in my mouth or Tony if he has a dummy (Yes a dummy) lol.

What are you needing to know? is it about Electrics/parts or just general advise?

Hope all goes well and you get up and running soon

Tom.

Shells by Number5designs

My Local clubs Mansfield & RHR
Old 27-04-2014

I'm cool with the electrics it's more things like gearing and differentials, offsets on wheels, which tires to run, shock setup? etc.
Old 28-04-2014

Hi matey, you can tag along no probs, im an ex team c team driver, still race their cars, set up and stuff no problems, look for the pink and white cars, be glad too help fella.
Old 28-04-2014

Do i really need to have dummy now all the time? I only needed it once after all lol.........plus it is your dummy tom, i just needed to borrow it for a while as i was throwing my toys out of my pram

Anyways, feel free to ask all of us nexus as we do try to remain calm mostly and help each other out (with as much banter and weewee taking as possible)

Muzzies post on this mansfield thread?......is full of some of the best advice u will find so have a read of that to get you started.

Tony (no dummy, honestly lol)
Old 28-04-2014

Car set-up it difficult to explain and is dependent on your driving style LOL.

Try here http://www.petitrc.com/reglages/SetupSheetDataBase.htm this is a good place to start

I still struggle to know what to change and how this affects the car. I’ve download a setup guide on the ipad to help me understand but its still confusing. This is what us sad gits talk about on a Wednesday “what works and what didn’t”.

Take Sunday for example, 6 of us ran the same car at the same track, all with a different setup. We all changed things and some liked the tweaks and others didn’t. I'm still unsure about the length of my rear link LOL…

I’m going to run my TM2 completely different at the next few meetings to find out what does what.
Old 28-04-2014

are any of you guys selling any team c stuff, I'm after a few spares and another car maybe a tc02c or a tm2
Old 28-04-2014

I have plenty of bits almost ready for sale.
3x2wd buggies in various price bands.None team c though just yet.
Depends on what you want to spend to get started,but 2 of them run great at mansfield.

Steve E
Old 29-04-2014

Tm2 is a very good car, can be a little edgy on the limit and does have massive tyre wear, new tyres every 5 races, but that is a trait of all mid/forward shaft drive 2wd buggies.
Old 22-05-2014

Right on with my super low budget car build got myself a car (hobao h2 pro fitted with a few losi 22 bits) not the car I wanted but budget just doesn't allow me to be picky as I'm also funding getting Leon (my son) up and running. What I'm after now is some electrics for it can you guys advise me in the right direction I have been looking at the stuff on hobbyking as their stuff fits my budget I just need to make sure I don't waste any more money than I already have.

So let start with the servo I'm looking at a bluebird servo as recommended to me by Ian but could someone explain what torque in kg's I should be looking for and are all standard size servo's ok for car use or are some geared towards heli's etc?

Which motor and esc should I be looking at and which need to be avoided? also I thoroughly expect that I'm going to be a pile of sh1te at driving at first as I havn't picked a controller up for over 20 years so should I go for the highest turn motor I can get my hands on until my skill picks up?

Thanks again for all the help and advice you have given us.
Old 22-05-2014

Does this servo look any good:
http://www.hobbyking.co.uk/hobbyking...arehouse_.html

Also I've read about these servo's causing "browning out" could someone explain what this means?
Old 22-05-2014
Mad Member

I also use a H2/TLR 22 Hybrid and the whole car is powered by Hobbyking!.

I've used Bluebird servos in the past and never had a problem. If you want a good servo on a budget these are unbelievable:

http://www.hobbyking.co.uk/hobbyking...dProduct=45764

I have 3 of them now and they perform superbly in all of my cars.

For an esc, this one is hard to beat as it will pretty much run any motor, is reliable and cheap:

For motor, any of the Turnigy Trackstar sensored series are good. The only thing to watch is that they are not on the BRCA list - not a problem for club racing but might get disqualified if you are caught using it at a regional!
Old 22-05-2014

http://www.rcmart.com/speed-passion-...Path=1560_1301
Old 22-05-2014

Not looked at the links as i am on my mobile but i would recommend the turnigy 1256 servo.
Old 23-05-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by nexus.1 View Post

Also I've read about these servo's causing "browning out" could someone explain what this means?
Browning out is when the reciever doesnt get enough voltage to carry the signal, this is then lost and the car doesnt respond, i.e shuts off, to cure this you have to use a power cap that can be supplied by PBM in newthorpe. Hope this helps
Old 23-05-2014

Or use an external BEC like the one I loaned you the other week. They are far more capable than the BEC built into an ESC.

If you are on a budget Jon then I would wholly recommend the kit in the link a couple of posts back.

Sub £50 delivered! for a speed passion programmable ESC (Reventon S, my Dad uses this one), 3500kv motor (10.5 equivalent) with a decently quick metal geared low profile servo.

I use this servo in my tourer and it's good, quick and strong.

External BEC/Power cap not required and ignore the reference to 'drift', no such thing as a drift combo, a motor is a motor etc.

Delivery time is sub 5 days with regular airmail.
Old 23-05-2014

Actually, given the following motor and esc combo has free shipping

http://www.rcmart.com/speed-passion-...t-p-37495.html

And comes in at about £28 delivered, get the servo from elsewhere.
Old 25-05-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by 200sx View Post
Actually, given the following motor and esc combo has free shipping

http://www.rcmart.com/speed-passion-...t-p-37495.html

And comes in at about £28 delivered, get the servo from elsewhere.
Thanks for the link Ian I ordered the motor combo yesterday morning, I've opened the car up and there is a servo in it which I wasn't expecting as I bought it as a roller so that should be enough to get me going. Just need to find a transmitter for Leon now so I can have my futaba back
Old 28-05-2014

Default Servos

Quote:
Originally Posted by nexus.1 View Post

Hi
The best servos in IMHO are savox 1257 / 1258 you can pick a second hand one up fairly cheap on oople and they are almost bullet proof if they do go wrong you can pick up a gear set for about £15 so cheap to fix but you may need a pot for your reciever if it's a buget tx/rx set the best buys are a good servo and good tx/rx set like sanwa it make a huge difference to driving your car but If I was on a budget I would buy second hand and save a shed load of cash anyway just a thought
Old 01-06-2014

My son and I have a futaba 3gr and I'm waiting for a sanwa mx sport to arrive not the dearest transmitters out there but from reputable manufacturers so hopefully will be reliable