Go Back   oOple.com Forums > Car Talk > Mardave

Old 22-09-2013

Default G2 4.8V rollout

Sorry for all the questions as of late

I'm running a VRX CE with the stock G2 and 4.8v nimh.

Medium size track.

What rollout should I aim for? Heard people mention anywhere between 50 and 70!
Old 22-09-2013

Keep the questions rolling in, we are here to help :-)

50-70mm/rev seems about usual for most brushless systems. At my local clubs (where everyone uses 1s/12.5t or 2s/21.5t) we run on tracks that vary in size from 10x15m to 12x22m. Track layouts vary from week to week but we usually manage 28-32 laps in the standard five mins. The lowest roll out I have seen reputable drivers using on a regular basis has been around 58mm/rev and the highest is around 66mm/rev but it depends on their motor and speedo, as well as track size and layout. Personally, I run around 62mm/rev with my Dynamite motor and HW 1s speedo and a pinion lower if I use 2s/21.5t.

It has been several years since I saw anyone running a competitive 4cell and silver can motor. From what I remember they geared a couple of teeth lower than the brushless runners did - the higher 4cell voltages still give less rpm than modern 13.5t brushless motors and silver can motors have much less torque too.

Depending on your exact track size and layout I would suggest starting somewhere in the mid 50s mm/rev and be able to go up and down around that.

James
Old 23-09-2013

Many thanks for all your advice, it's very much appreciated. I'll start by getting a larger spur, a 73t seems to give me the most rollout options.
Old 23-09-2013

200SX, Jimbo is talking about brushless though rather than brushed.

So dont cook your motor!
Old 23-09-2013

No worries Dale. Fitted a heatsink with thermal paste. It was getting to 60c with the old 65/28 gearing and no heatsink so hoping it will be better. If it all goes wrong I have a speed passion ultra sportsman v3 13.5, some old saddle pack lipos, just need a 1s esc. I'll probably be back with some more gearing questions . The ultra sportsman isnt the quickest of motors. I was 2 laps off the pace of the top drivers, managed 4th place put of 8. Everyone else running brushless