Go Back   oOple.com Forums > Car Talk > X-Factory

Old 03-08-2010
Mad Member

Default X6 EC - V2 AE shocks?

Any idea if/when the X6 EC kits will have the new V2 shocks in? Or will Losi shocks be included instead, as these seem the most popular choices...?

Thanks
Old 03-08-2010
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

Send a message via MSN to Big G Send a message via Skype™ to Big G

Quote:
AE FT threaded shocks front and rear with gold coated shafts
AFAIK I know they don't come with the V2 shocks and it's extremely unlikely they would come with losi shocks
Old 03-08-2010
Mad Member

I know they don't come with them now but in the future....???
Old 03-08-2010
oOple Advertiser

This is somthing we are looking at and evaluating at present for the next batch (V2 shocks that is), just waitng for AE to have them commercially available OEM for us and of course a price on them too

No chance of Losi shocks though sadly at present.....
X-PARTZ - PHAT BODIES - RACERS EDGE - RM2 - DIRT RACING PRODUCTS - DMS INSERTZ
TKR GRAPHICS - BF MATERIALS - BATAN - DMS PARTZ - TEAM AJ
Tel : (01923) 816636
Old 03-08-2010
Mad Member

Darren when you have a price for the V2 shocks (just the stuff to convert original shocks) can you post it on here somewhere cheers.

I have gone back to the X6 hehe.
Old 03-08-2010
Mad Member

The new V2 shocks have cartridges in the bottom so no converting to be done.

youll need the new bodies, cartridges, seals and the bleed caps.
Old 03-08-2010
Mad Member

In fact we have quite the problem going on at present. AE had given us a date for shipping the V2s, so we placed our order and made sure we would be out of the FT shocks when they shipped.

But they didn't ship, and now there's no real timetable for it, and we've got no shocks.

So, OK, send us some more FTs. "Can't. We're out."

It has been a major scramble. We are putting FT shocks together by buying separate parts and putting them together in bags so we've got K 021 Kits to sell. A number of dealers are waiting for them.

And that's a problem. This supplier has so many rear bodies and a different number of fronts and still different numbers of the two shafts. Another supplier has some of the rears, lots of front shafts, but no rear shafts. Etc Etc Etc.

We think we have it together now, and I will be bagging FT shocks and shipping Kits tomorrow. Our understanding now is that the V2s will be a while. They have encountered a problem and are re-doing some part of it. If and when the V2s are available we'll see what the cost is -- we think we know, but it could change -- and make a decision.

Engineering Without Fear
www.XFactoryRC.com
www.facebook.com/XFactoryRC
Old 03-08-2010
Mad Member

is it the cost the stops you bundling the Losi shocks with the EC kits? an issue like you describe could be a catalyst for change..?
Old 03-08-2010
oOple Advertiser

Since Losi shocks are £90 a set and the AE ones are nearly half it is not even close on the pricing sadly, which is why it is AE, however "if" the V2's become an option this could be the way forward....
Old 03-08-2010
Spends too long on oOple ...

Why not Tamiya shocks?
Old 04-08-2010
Mad Member

I fully understand the economic reasons for choosing the AE shocks, given the price difference. It just seems a bit weird that the "no-compromise" and "function over form" approach of X-Factory is being somewhat contradicted by the inclusion of the AE shocks...

I'm not saying that there is anything especially wrong with the AE shocks (and have no experience of the V2 units, which I understand address most of the common complaints of the V1's) but why include them in the EC kit if none of the Team drivers run them? If not Losi, then why not Kyosho (I believe Kinwald runs these?), Yokomo (seen on most AE team cars, pre-V2 shock) or even Tamiya (as suggested by DCM). I guess it's a question of cost again?
Old 04-08-2010

kyosho shocks dont cost much more than AE, and are 1 billion times better
Old 04-08-2010
Mad Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikePimlott View Post
The new V2 shocks have cartridges in the bottom so no converting to be done.

youll need the new bodies, cartridges, seals and the bleed caps.
Thats what I ment Mike dont need the whole lot.
Old 05-08-2010
Mad Member

I forgot to say. The newest K 021s are FT shocks but they have the bleeder caps and that's surely an improvement..

Yes, we pride ourselves on being a no holds barred, speed before all else company. But you have to buy the Kits. If you don't we're not a company of any type for long. As Darren says, how much are you willing to pay?

We could build the K 021 with Losi shocks and a retail price of about $399 (a bit less than 300 pounds with taxes, etc.) for a two-wheel buggy. We think $349 is all the traffic will bear, and in the U.S. we get considerable resistance to $349. We worked very hard to hold the price at $299, but it just could not happen.

So, yes, there is an element of cost/price that every manufacturer of anything must realize. Most of us are not Saudi princes, so price is, indeed, a concern to all, even for a no holds barred race car.

I'll tell you what: If you want a K 021 with Losi shocks, see Darren. Darren and I will get together (We talk on the phone twice a week.) and figure out a price. Give him a non-refundable deposit, and we'll make you one. You'll be able to buy several different 4WD for less, but we're happy to do it for you.

Engineering Without Fear
www.XFactoryRC.com
Old 05-08-2010
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

Quote:
Originally Posted by YoungChazz View Post
I'll tell you what: If you want a K 021 with Losi shocks, see Darren. Darren and I will get together (We talk on the phone twice a week.) and figure out a price. Give him a non-refundable deposit, and we'll make you one. You'll be able to buy several different 4WD for less, but we're happy to do it for you.
Chazz, if it was possible for you do a K021 without shocks then those who prefer AE, Losi, Tamiya, Kyosho or even the Yokomo big bores can source their own. Just a thought.
(although people would probably still complain!)
Old 05-08-2010
Mad Member

@YoungChazz - Thanks for taking the time to post again on this topic. I understand that it is a question of cost and I think that you guys (the "family") have done a great job with bringing this buggy to market. It seems as though most of the UK racers run the Losi shocks so peetbee's idea of selling without shocks would make a lot of sense for some people - the cost if the kit is reduced slightly as the "unwanted" AE shocks are not included, which then helps to offset the cost of the Losi shocks. However, this then defeats the object of the EC kit, coz it aint no longer an Entire Car! Darren has hinted at the costing issues in his earlier post and you kindly shared the difficulties you had trying to source the V2 AE shocks for your latest batch of kits. So I think the OP has been answered.

@peetbee - not a complaint from me mate! Just some comments and an opinion
Old 05-08-2010
oOple Advertiser

Toby is spot on, as soon as the shocks go it is no longer an EC indeed and we already have 2 great coversion kits available for those who dont want a "whole car" (The standard K019 X6 SQ converison and the K020 Ellis Stafford X6 SQ all singing and dancing version), for now the EC has to remain as a whole car, but as Chazz has very genourously said (thanks for that mate ) we (Chazz I should say) would put one-off kits together with Losi shocks instead if you wanted them at a higher price (anyone interested should either get in contact with us or your local X-factory UK dealer and we can work you out a price).........
Old 05-08-2010
Spends too long on oOple ...

Send a message via MSN to mark christopher

the other option is and i wont be liked for this is

for Xfactory to insist that thier team drivers use the shocks provided with the kit, yup i know its personal choice

but to me if a sponsor has a product that they sell then the sponsored driver/team should use them
how many sponsored drivers use other manufactures products?
ie lrp sponsor say chris doughty, but he slips a novak in his car cuz he thinks it makes a difference lrp wont be too pleased, now as Xfactory sell a full kit in my opinion the team drivers should use what the company sell to jo public.
Old 05-08-2010
#1 ZX5 fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark christopher View Post
how many sponsored drivers use other manufactures products?
Just for devilment I'm going to point out most of the AE team for the last 2 years (Yokomo) and some/most of the HB off road team(losi).

Nortech is ACE!
Old 05-08-2010
Mad Member

Here's the deal with us and the X Team. If you want to be on the X Team you must, 1) Be great at representing our products, 2) Be great at testing and developing new products, 3) Win races. In that order. # 1 and # 2 are close to equal, while winning is less important.

So let's look at #2: Mark, please look carefully at all our drivers' cars. You'll find that just about every part has been touched by a Dremel. Further, there are several parts on every car that are home-made. We encourage it, and we encourage our drivers all over the world to communicate their ideas with each other. E-mails, IMs, texts, phone calls fly all over the world every day.

Who are the top drivers on our Team? Brian Kinwald and Ellis Stafford. BK is known world-wide as the most innovative person in the entire industry. After knowing him almost four years, I'm sure Ellis will argue about that ranking.

Our drivers can use just about anything they want if we don't manufacture it. For instance, they all use our chassis, our tranny, rear arms, rear tower, etc. We make those things, and all drivers use them.

Shocks? Couldn't care less. We urge every Family member to use whatever parts make him fastest. Nobody notices the shocks when you are posing for pix with the trophy girls and an X - 6 Squared in your hand.

We supply AE shocks with the EC because they are proven, work well, many customers are familiar with them, parts are easily available, and the price is right.

When our 4WD comes out we will make every part on the car, including shocks, and input from the Team will, as always, be crucial. "I like this about the Kyosho." "I like that about the AE." Etc. So having the Team running different shocks is a good thing.

99.5% of all drivers in the world will go equally fast on just about any good shock. After all this time, when this shock thing comes up, we run screaming for the exits waving our arms and needing a pint fast.

Engineering Without Fear
www.XFactoryRC.com