Go Back   oOple.com Forums > General > 1/10th OFF ROAD

Old 28-05-2015

Default How to help new people starting out in the hobby

Hi all,

I get a few questions a month via the club website about taking up the hobby with little or no knowledge. When I lay out the details of what the club does and more importantly what the cars are like they often waiver at the start up cost.

Now I appreciate that people don't want to necessarily dive straight in at the deep end with top flight race buggies, expensive speed controllers, radio gear that is peerless etc etc. So I therefore have wondered about the idea of an introductory class - something with a low cost buggy, basic handset, etc but the main focus being low cost to start.

Then if they want to progress they can go into the full flight as it were once hooked rather than stumping up £500+ to just get going for something they may not like after a few sessions.

I appreciate there is eBay for re-sale but I was hoping I could get some ideas for a set up which is:

Low cost
Reliable
Strong as they likely will crash into everything
Still give them enough of a flavour of racing to get them hooked

What are your thoughts?

Thanks
Every Thursday evening from 6:30pm and alternate Sundays.

Check out http://shrccc.co.uk
Follow us on:

Facebook - Surrey and Hants Radio Control Car Club
Twitter - @surreyhantsrc
Old 28-05-2015

FTX Vantage RTR for £99 brushed or £185 brushless. Easy to drive, good support, robust and competitive enough to learn to drive.
Old 28-05-2015
Mad Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cutting42 View Post
FTX Vantage RTR for £99 brushed or £185 brushless. Easy to drive, good support, robust and competitive enough to learn to drive.
Good idea, but how about FTX Edge? As per above, but 2wd so easier to work on?

Yokomo YZ-2

No 4WD because nothing lives up to my original Optima. Until now maybe?...
Old 28-05-2015

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashlandchris View Post
Good idea, but how about FTX Edge? As per above, but 2wd so easier to work on?
Forgot that one ;-) Also I was thinking was that a 4WD is easier to drive and even a beginner can have a laugh ragging it around. I know that my son much preferred 4WD until he got better.
Old 28-05-2015

Back in the day, we used to have a 380 class, mainly Hornets, or Frogs with a 380 motor.. It was ideal for new people and youngsters, fairly robust cars, cheap, standard, slower than 540. It produced some of the best, and closest racing. Even very experienced drivers joined in. It was only spoiled when somebody found a quick 380 motor ( helicopter wind I think) which was almost as fast as the 540.. end of class..!
So, it is probably more about the motor than car.. The stock, brushed, 540, class run at some clubs could be the answer, but maybe restricted to 27 turn.
Old 29-05-2015

Default clubs

clubs and the brca need to be involved more stock classes say set motor limits or club days that are specifically designed to get new members into the sport a specific class for new members to run over the winter or summer series of races. I just returning after 20 years out of sport and I finding that there is very few clubs or even the brca that are involved in getting people back or new people interested few clubs run a starter series that has limits to help the new or returning people
york run a 540 sealed can series for 2wd and 17.5t blinky class for 4wd and reading many club websites no other club has this type of series the 540 sealed can is cheap and fun for returning and new members.

so from my point of view clubs and the brca need to be involved more at promoting the sport to encourage new members
we all have to remember not everyone can afford to spend hundreds of pounds on a top car top electronics and be able to jump straight into top racing and not have some one who has raced for a long while shouting at them because they are in race that in reality they shouldnt be in because they have no options to race in a learner class due to

A) clubs not promoting standard/stock class racing
B) no brca sanctioned standard/stock class racing

there are ways to encourage new members but clubs, brca and the members of the clubs need to be more involved to promote the sport by organising club days brca sanctioned events in standard/stock events to get new members into the sport.

on the club front maybe reduce the entrance fees for new people for a week or two or on that type of series for say the first x amount of races those new people race in

on the brca front maybe a series aimed at new racers
Old 29-05-2015

Default FTX

http://www.jerryibbotson.co.uk/wp-co...e_review_1.pdf

Cant argue with what you get for under £100
Old 29-05-2015

the big problems you have with a stock class would be that most ready to run cars would not come with a motor that would fit into the class meaning extra cost to begin with, and the biggie that made stock racing expensive in the past, there will always be someone who buys 20 motors, picks the best ones, using several motors for one meeting and flying around the track at half the speed again than the other cars meaning if they want to be competitive they need to spend more too.
Old 29-05-2015

Default stock class

540 20t brushed motor £8 round about that so add that to the cost of any kit or rtr it not a big expense so stocked classes could be run but would mean some form of scrutineering and it would not be too hard to catch those people out who want to substitute say a sticker as you would soon see by the speed if they out pacing every other new person or existing members who running stock. Then there something a miss Id rather spend an extra £8 on a stock sealed can motor to run in a rookie class and learn than spending a fortune the thread is about making the sport appealing to new members and growing the sport a rookie racing series within a club or brca endorsed is an option. A thought its ok going out and buying a rtr kit but without a series those people will soon lose interest and its back to the drawing board.
maybe the brca or clubs could list a set of stock motors that could be used in a rookie series again options to make it a cheap introductory to racing
Old 29-05-2015
Spends too long on oOple ...

Send a message via MSN to mark christopher

Quote:
Originally Posted by claymoreman View Post
540 20t brushed motor £8 round about that so add that to the cost of any kit or rtr it not a big expense so stocked classes could be run but would mean some form of scrutineering and it would not be too hard to catch those people out who want to substitute say a sticker as you would soon see by the speed if they out pacing every other new person or existing members who running stock. Then there something a miss Id rather spend an extra £8 on a stock sealed can motor to run in a rookie class and learn than spending a fortune the thread is about making the sport appealing to new members and growing the sport a rookie racing series within a club or brca endorsed is an option. A thought its ok going out and buying a rtr kit but without a series those people will soon lose interest and its back to the drawing board.
maybe the brca or clubs could list a set of stock motors that could be used in a rookie series again options to make it a cheap introductory to racing
Maybe the brca is you,its members?
Maybe the brca has a list of approved spec motors, try looking in the EB motor list at least 10.5/13.5/17.5, maybe even 21.5
Maybe the brca has a list of speedos that can be set to blinkey so all perform the same

No maybemaybe!, its there ready for you to set up a club/entry series, see you in October at the agm!!

Last edited by Col; 02-06-2015 at 10:17 AM.
Old 30-05-2015

I personally think this is a important topic that is often overlooked. I really like the idea of a class for beginners with limits or I even liked the idea of having 'club' buggies that could be loaned out to new starters to the sport. I have thought about the later more in 'donating' parts to build one for local clubs. I have wasted so much money before now in selling perfectly good parts at half the price I paid and I seriously wonder if donating things (like I should do to oople- I will send one today now thinking about it) would be a more fufilling way then 'giving' away parts. Really good topic and well raised. Kudos

Trader Feedback Link
http://www.oople.com/forums/showthread.php?t=88156
Old 30-05-2015
Mad Member

Generally r/c racing happens away from the mainstream of sports/hobbies
getting local newspapers to do a feature gets publicity putting on displays at local fetes and events
our local club whilst still still mainly touring cars offers loan cars for "taster" sessions which is a good way to encourage new starters
its the clubs own efforts which wilĺ reap rewards
regards dave
Old 31-05-2015

At 1066 Racing we've got 2 club buggies, which we hire out for £10 including entry, so basically £3 to hire. They're Durango RTR's; really cheap and have everything except a lipo/charger in the box...they've hit everything and so far survived almost unscathed! We use old lipos in them and they do most of the evening on one battery.

Been a great tool for the club, people who are interested can come and have a go for next to nothing. We have two handout transponders which we use in these cars, so they get the full experience. The best part is they're at the club all evening, in which time we can usually direct them to here or eBay for second hand stuff; Ben from our club is brilliant and answers any questions they have on Facebook or via email so they don't waste their money not knowing what to get.

We've also done the school fete thing, which works well too. Some events will allow a profit share; so we run the club car as hire cars, £2 a go or similar, they're in use all day! Split profit with school/charity etc, helps club awareness and puts money in the kitty.
Old 31-05-2015

I have a really lovely story on this topic that happened a few hours ago...

I myself am a newbie to the sport, I raced 1/10th buggies 25 years ago.. I have returned not more than three months ago and have loved every minute of this steep leaning curve. I primarily wanted to get back into a class that was a little restricted in the variables, being all about the driving and not about the wallet.. For many reasons, none other than the ease of use, lack of maintenance and some good honest competition.

Since researching, I have found the GT12 class as much as its restricted, there are very many ways to hop up your car and spend money on extras, on one thing or another.. I digress slightly, but this will be relevant come the end of the story.

I took a buddy of mine along to West Kent this morning, who has never even raced an RC car let alone every thought of purchasing one. I emailed the club last night, and Brian along with Ian who run the club, (by the way, these guys are absolutely brilliant at what they do!!) gave me the all clear that the club buggy they have was free and my pal got the shock of being able to race instead of just coming along for two pals hanging out on a sunday morning.

He raced and absolutely loved it; this afternoon he purchased the kit from Schumacher, the race kit, that includes charger, battery and all the kit needed to get running... He will be joining me at Maritime on Thursday and to say he is excited is an understatement.

He has potentially three to four months of learning to drive to a decent standard, whilst seeing all the many hop ups available to him that will make his car handle better and indeed run faster etc etc.. I believe this problem is simple..

Use the GT12 race as the leader to get into GT12, nothing other than the race kit provided by Schumacher is allowed, only replacement parts such as lipos etc and make this a six month journey for those new to the hobby to find their feet and then use the same platform to build on, when they come into the GT12 class that we all run today..

It is without doubt, much easier to drive these GT12 cars with all the various upgrades, which is so necessary to be competitive, I don't care what you say. Maybe yes, if you have been driving for many years it does not matter to you so much.. for us newbies, a bit speed, a bit of stability and it makes the world of difference, I have the figures to back it up...

Cut out the options of a class, cut out the wallet syndrome and at £199 all in GT12 platform gives a person a good resale value if its not for them, a good platform to custom up when the time comes, and a great taste of a class that could be all like minded people, wanting to be the best they can be with what they are allowed to use..

Simple.

My pal loved today, with a small investment of any club getting a tamiya mini with a couple of cheap batteries and a charger who knows the far reaches this sport could get to; fetes, school playgrounds, the options to grow this sport is endless... Just depends how far people wish to push their imaginations. Nobody is to blame, the BRCA are merely the gate keepers, its our job, lovers of RC to get out there and tell people about it and how easy it is to get going....

Its been a fab day.. Thank you RC madness!!
Old 02-06-2015

Your story sounds interesting .good luck to you!
Quote:
Originally Posted by stucartwright View Post
I have a really lovely story on this topic that happened a few hours ago...

I myself am a newbie to the sport, I raced 1/10th buggies 25 years ago.. I have returned not more than three months ago and have loved every minute of this steep leaning curve. I primarily wanted to get back into a class that was a little restricted in the variables, being all about the driving and not about the wallet.. For many reasons, none other than the ease of use, lack of maintenance and some good honest competition.

Since researching, I have found the GT12 class as much as its restricted, there are very many ways to hop up your car and spend money on extras, on one thing or another.. I digress slightly, but this will be relevant come the end of the story.

I took a buddy of mine along to West Kent this morning, who has never even raced an RC car let alone every thought of purchasing one. I emailed the club last night, and Brian along with Ian who run the club, (by the way, these guys are absolutely brilliant at what they do!!) gave me the all clear that the club buggy they have was free and my pal got the shock of being able to race instead of just coming along for two pals hanging out on a sunday morning.

He raced and absolutely loved it; this afternoon he purchased the kit from Schumacher, the race kit, that includes charger, battery and all the kit needed to get running... He will be joining me at Maritime on Thursday and to say he is excited is an understatement.

He has potentially three to four months of learning to drive to a decent standard, whilst seeing all the many hop ups available to him that will make his car handle better and indeed run faster etc etc.. I believe this problem is simple..

Use the GT12 race as the leader to get into GT12, nothing other than the race kit provided by Schumacher is allowed, only replacement parts such as lipos etc and make this a six month journey for those new to the hobby to find their feet and then use the same platform to build on, when they come into the GT12 class that we all run today..

It is without doubt, much easier to drive these GT12 cars with all the various upgrades, which is so necessary to be competitive, I don't care what you say. Maybe yes, if you have been driving for many years it does not matter to you so much.. for us newbies, a bit speed, a bit of stability and it makes the world of difference, I have the figures to back it up...

Cut out the options of a class, cut out the wallet syndrome and at £199 all in GT12 platform gives a person a good resale value if its not for them, a good platform to custom up when the time comes, and a great taste of a class that could be all like minded people, wanting to be the best they can be with what they are allowed to use..

Simple.

My pal loved today, with a small investment of any club getting a tamiya mini with a couple of cheap batteries and a charger who knows the far reaches this sport could get to; fetes, school playgrounds, the options to grow this sport is endless... Just depends how far people wish to push their imaginations. Nobody is to blame, the BRCA are merely the gate keepers, its our job, lovers of RC to get out there and tell people about it and how easy it is to get going....

Its been a fab day.. Thank you RC madness!!
Old 02-06-2015
Awesome Admin

Send a message via AIM to Col

We do this at York (http://www.yorcc.org.uk/about/ )

540 Sealed Can Brushed (2wd) / 17.5T Brushless (2wd & 4wd). These classes are aimed at newer / younger drivers and those who want a slower and simpler racing pace (though the lap times after often close to some Modified racers). The 540 motors should be sealed can 20 turn brushed (eg HPI Saturns) in 2WD cars. 17.5 brushless motors must have speedos running in “Blinky” mode i.e. no timing advance or power boosts.

2wd Modified. No turn limit. Many drivers opt to go no faster than 10.5t.

4wd Modified. No turn limit. Many drivers opt to go no faster than 10.5t.

Short Course Trucks. 4wd and 2wd currently in together. No turn limit.

Works really well, both new and seasoned racers choose the 540 classes.