Go Back   oOple.com Forums > Car Talk > Tamiya

Old 18-03-2014

I have old 511 body which fits it perfectly. I'm gonna try b44.2 phantom for it. The included sidepods are cut out from 511 undertray and they're attached on the topside. The old undertray holes align with new lower deck. Many bodies should fit dependending of the size of electronics.
Old 18-03-2014

Send a message via Skype™ to Aussie Top Force

RC Mart shows out of stock already!

David
Secretary/Treasurer
Southern Highlands Off Road R/C Car Club Inc.
(NSW Australia)
http://shorrcccinfo.wix.com/shorrccc
www.facebook.com/SHORRCCC
Old 18-03-2014

So here's a pic with my old 511 body.. It fits like a glove IMHO

Old 18-03-2014

Crazy nice!
Did you put some extra weight under the lipo?? Is it out of box or just your own?
Old 18-03-2014

The weights are included in the kit. Everything is "stock" as instructed in the manual. As an alternative, I suppose you could put some weight in the middle where you see 2 empty holes between the batteries.
Old 18-03-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by fastinfastout View Post
how many did they have in stock before you placed that order?

leave some for us
They were showing 4 in stock when I placed my order, which had gone down to 0 earlier today, but they are now showing 4 in stock again, but at the slightly higher price of $429.90 (still a great price though, the kit is $480 + shipping at Stellamodels).
Old 18-03-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by patez View Post
So here's a pic with my old 511 body.. It fits like a glove IMHO

nice to see a non cab forward body for a change

is that a normal pin axle setup on the rear, and hex b44 size on the front, as per previous trf 4wd's?
Old 18-03-2014

I dont recall the trf511 to being this cheap. This car is a bargain!
Old 18-03-2014

For the rear theres pin and 12mm hex parts included in the kit. front is smaller old style hex. I changed it to 12mm too.
Old 18-03-2014

Quote:
I have old 511 body which fits it perfectly. I'm gonna try b44.2 phantom for it. The included sidepods are cut out from 511 undertray and they're attached on the topside. The old undertray holes align with new lower deck. Many bodies should fit dependending of the size of electronics.
Nice I have one of the Proline phantom B44.2 bodies that I have fit tested one on my 501x/502x/511 and it's a little tight in the rear around the shocks and the chassis on the 501 & 511.. but on the 502x it fits rather well... which makes me think with the thinner chaissis of the 503 it should work fine... or be really close with the way the servo mounts on the 503.... I'll be able to double check next week for sure

Now with the 511 body that you have fitted to the 503... how much room does the body have around the bump for the motor now that motor has been moved forward 7mm on the 503.. Just wondeing since I would really like to use my 501x bodies
Old 18-03-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by SiR_Dave View Post
Now with the 511 body that you have fitted to the 503... how much room does the body have around the bump for the motor now that motor has been moved forward 7mm on the 503.. Just wondeing since I would really like to use my 501x bodies
Because the chassis is longer, i can actually move the body forward or backward ~7mm maybe. But still, there's a little room above the motor even if the bump is not at the exact spot. I had trouble fitting my wiring on 501 earlier. Now that there's more room in the back of the spur, its quite handy to put the motor wires under the antenna holder.

The motor is also moved inward. So there's more room about 8mm in that direction. The sensor wire doesn't rub against the body anymore.

If the servo arm rubs against the body, i can reverse the servo with a shorter arm. (in the manual a short servo was fitted other way around and standard was fitted like i did)

Btw, did you try b44 phantom with 511 undertray?
Old 18-03-2014

Quote:
Because the chassis is longer, i can actually move the body forward or backward ~7mm maybe. But still, there's a little room above the motor even if the bump is not at the exact spot. I had trouble fitting my wiring on 501 earlier. Now that there's more room in the back of the spur, its quite handy to put the motor wires under the antenna holder.

The motor is also moved inward. So there's more room about 8mm in that direction. The sensor wire doesn't rub against the body anymore.

If the servo arm rubs against the body, i can reverse the servo with a shorter arm. (in the manual a short servo was fitted other way around and standard was fitted like i did)

Btw, did you try b44 phantom with 511 undertray?
Thanks.... I kind of figured the 511 body would work... and now that the chassis is longer it should not be that much of a difference at all now that there is a spacer for the rear body mount... now as far as the servo rubbing... I was talking about the outside mount vice the servo horn arm.. The TRF 501x worlds body has the nice bumps in there for that which is nice and the 511 body is not a issue..

Now as far as the 511 under tray.. it works... I'll post up some pic's later today
Old 19-03-2014

Thumbs up

Also if you get a chance to weight it.... might be nice to see if the car needs to go on a diet
Old 19-03-2014

Phantom Body ready to go off to the Painter

and a few others that are ready to go

Old 19-03-2014
Mad Member

Quote:
Also if you get a chance to weight it.... might be nice to see if the car needs to go on a diet
The alu plate is quite narrow, so that doesn't even add that much weight if you ask me. +/- 50g? The gear diffs may well prove lighter than the ball diffs (by about 5-10g a piece?) and the big bores will be heavier (about 20-30g in total?).

3D Printing Upgrade Parts - FF210 Buggy
Old 19-03-2014

Nice paint work! Who's talent is responsible?

David
Secretary/Treasurer
(NSW Australia)
Old 19-03-2014

Quote:
I think the idea of the aluminium bottom plate is to add weight low in the chassis, other wise carbon fibre is the better choice. Heavier cars are more stable and generate more traction, especially for high powered modified motors and the fact that battery technology is getting lighter.

Stock racing on the other hand, i.e. 17.5t as we do in Aus, being light can help acceleration with tall gearing. The 503 and the 201 are clearly designed for high powered motors considering the drive ratios that come standard.

Some one buy my FF01's so I can afford one of these beauties!

For sale: http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Tamiya-Ra...23cd153&_uhb=1

David
Secretary/Treasurer
(NSW Australia)
Old 19-03-2014

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aussie Top Force View Post
Nice paint work! Who's talent is responsible?
Thanks...
I gave up painting long ago

LUCK from Shop UFO does all of my painting and is really priced well for the quality
Old 19-03-2014

Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Origineelreclamebord View Post
The alu plate is quite narrow, so that doesn't even add that much weight if you ask me. +/- 50g? The gear diffs may well prove lighter than the ball diffs (by about 5-10g a piece?) and the big bores will be heavier (about 20-30g in total?).
I have the weight of the 39T ball diff... I would think the Gear diff will only be +~- a few grams.. so thats fine... and the Chassis has all of those nice cut outs in it.. And for the Shocks the Big bores 20grams more so you nailed that

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aussie Top Force View Post
I think the idea of the aluminium bottom plate is to add weight low in the chassis, other wise carbon fibre is the better choice. Heavier cars are more stable and generate more traction, especially for high powered modified motors and the fact that battery technology is getting lighter.
I'm sure we might see an option for a Carbon chassis here after the TRF503 has been out for a while....... When has Tamiya ever left one of the TRF Buggies alone LoL...
501x to 501x worlds kit
502x to 502x upgraded parts
511 to 511 gear diffs to 511 upgraded chassis kit
503 to...???

We all know it will happen

Last edited by SiR_Dave; 20-03-2014 at 03:24 AM. Reason: SP
Old 19-03-2014

My car weights 1732g with 511 body in driving condition and with the extra 50g weights. Batteries we're 260g.. other electronics i dont know (hobbywing 120A xerun and savox 1257 servo ko propo tiny receiver).. So under 1700 without the extra weight.. Gear diffs must weight more than ball diff, they're filled with fluid after all.. But around 1700g is quite typical these days or actually on the lighter side? Also i have a feeling, i'm gonna need those extra weights for low-medium traction.

The lower deck feels very light. Its only 2mm thick compared to 201xr which is 3mm.