Go Back   oOple.com Forums > Car Talk > KYOSHO

Old 27-04-2013

I won't be selling mine, I love it. First time outdoors on astro/grass mix this week at oswestry and the car felt awesome! I used Kev Lees last setup from stotfold, apart from the small bore shocks and rb5 wishbones, the car was on rails!
Old 27-04-2013
Lion-O - King of the Thundercats

Send a message via MSN to bigred5765 Send a message via Skype™ to bigred5765

Quote:
Originally Posted by danmurphy View Post
I won't be selling mine, I love it. First time outdoors on astro/grass mix this week at oswestry and the car felt awesome! I used Kev Lees last setup from stotfold, apart from the small bore shocks and rb5 wishbones, the car was on rails!
we wont be selling ours ether its a awesome car,
Old 27-04-2013
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

Me neither, I love mine 👍

See My Feedback

Old 28-04-2013

As above! Awesome car, the best 2wd car I've ever had anyway, & there's not many i havnt tried! Lol
Old 28-04-2013

To the above: Thanks for your replies

but it doesn't really help much to convince somebody to switch cars by saying 'this car is awesome!!! I'll never sell it!'

Why is it, in your opinion, the car is so good? What does it do different to other cars you've owned? How does it compare to your previous car - oh and what were you driving previously? Sorry for all the questions but the car is quite an investment compared to others out there so it would be helpful to give a bit more detail...please?
Old 28-04-2013

Matty was driving a Schumacher cougar sv1 and sv2, and in his opinion it does everything better
it rides the bumps better, it holds on longer in the corner when it lets go its catchable quicker,less maintenance needs less setup changes from track to track to make it work,its just faster in his hands
he says its the best 2wd car he has driven since he drove the x6
Old 30-04-2013

Are there any setup sheets floating around from the Kidderminster national? None on petitrc yet
Old 30-04-2013

we just ran mattys southport set up with green front springs and bb green on the rear shuy greens up front managed a 7th in round
Old 06-05-2013
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

Quote:
Originally Posted by danmurphy View Post
Are there any setup sheets floating around from the Kidderminster national? None on petitrc yet
Kidderminster is an unusual surface, fairly low grip with lots of surface changes.
If you want a set up from a local driver which is easy to drive & quick let me know. It's quite different to how I run the car on higher grip surfaces though (totally different shocks, springs, roll centres & weight distribution)
Old 07-05-2013

How is the RB6 on low-medium grip?

Currently have a DEX210 and a XXXCR which I just sold.
DEX210 feels alright on the track, easy to drive but un-inspiring and just not a fan of the quality and a real PITA to work on at times I find.
XXX CR I liked, probably should have spent more time with it.

Looking at trying to get an RB5 or an RB6 (leaning towards the 6).
Our track is an outdoor clay and carpet (mainly over jumps and the last corner to stop them breaking down).
It's not smooth all around, some bumps/ruts.
Grip levels tend to change from time to time (sometimes ridiculously low and the rare occasion, awesomely good).

I'm not the greatest driver by any means but appreciate quality and a nice, consistent feeling.

If tyre choices help to get an idea of what our track is like, we currently run SS Rebars, M3 Holeshots, X2000 V2 Pink and a couple of other random tyres people use.
Fronts are usually a soft rib I believe, more consistent on our track, hard compounds seem to grab the surface irregularities and throw the car around a bit.
Old 07-05-2013
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

RB6 can generate huge amounts of grip but always retains sublime balance. On high grip surfaces it's easy enough to tune the grip out too.
Really is a difficult car to fault
Old 03-06-2013

How is the RB6 compared to a Durango Dex210 overall and on low surface tracks?
Do you think it makes sense to switch?
Old 03-06-2013
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

Hmm well I'm an rb5 vega driver, Ive had a drive of an rb6 and TBH at this time I'd not bother spending the money to change to one, the chap who's car I had a go on was also a vega driver, in fact it was one go on his car that made me go out and buy a vega the following day ££££, since he changed to the rb6 he is really struggling to get close to the results he was getting with the vega. we race on just about all surfaces in our region from old school dirt and grass with mega bumps,very lose norfolk dirt, and a couple of top quality astro tracks.

ok to be fair this could just be setup trouble, he's only had it a couple of months,but his a very good club\regional level driver, and has been doing the hobby for many years but so far his vega was a far better car.

the best out of the box club level car I've seen a few people drive so far is the new yokomo.

Ive not seen any normal driver enjoy a dex210 so far,just always looks a handful,so in answear I'd put the RB6 as a better choice even with all I have said above

www.norfolkbuggyclub.moonfruit.com

kyosho optima,Bosscat,Boomerang,,RB5 Vega,RB7,,RC12 5.2, TLR22-4,MP9,HB807T
Flask of tea & a rollup
Anglia model centre & CT Models
http://www.oople.com/forums/showthread.php?t=28117
Old 03-06-2013
SHRCCC Legend

We've notice the same at Surrey and Hants too. RB6's in most hands don't work. Only fast guys can get them to work (2xF1 drivers) and a lot of the club guys have gone to Yokomo and are very happy.

Awaiting the new gear box on the gen 3 and it'll be. Vega RB6 for me (love Kyosho great quality)

Quote:
Originally Posted by racingdwarf View Post
Hmm well I'm an rb5 vega driver, Ive had a drive of an rb6 and TBH at this time I'd not bother spending the money to change to one, the chap who's car I had a go on was also a vega driver, in fact it was one go on his car that made me go out and buy a vega the following day ££££, since he changed to the rb6 he is really struggling to get close to the results he was getting with the vega. we race on just about all surfaces in our region from old school dirt and grass with mega bumps,very lose norfolk dirt, and a couple of top quality astro tracks.

ok to be fair this could just be setup trouble, he's only had it a couple of months,but his a very good club\regional level driver, and has been doing the hobby for many years but so far his vega was a far better car.

the best out of the box club level car I've seen a few people drive so far is the new yokomo.

Ive not seen any normal driver enjoy a dex210 so far,just always looks a handful,so in unswear I'd put the RB6 as a better choice even with all I have said above
Old 03-06-2013
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dudders View Post
We've notice the same at Surrey and Hants too. RB6's in most hands don't work. Only fast guys can get them to work (2xF1 drivers) and a lot of the club guys have gone to Yokomo and are very happy.

Awaiting the new gear box on the gen 3 and it'll be. Vega RB6 for me (love Kyosho great quality)
Yep I love kyosho to, the quality is second to none, they just dont wear out,

Flask of tea & a rollup
Old 04-06-2013

So i am still thinking about switching from my Dex to the RB6

Could you please tell a Kyosho noob what the advantage of this RB6 vega is? Is it also better for low traction tracks?

Thanks
Old 04-06-2013

why not get a rb6 first then ask someone that's running it well to send you over some setups, if and only if you cant seem to make it go then give the vega conversion a try
Old 04-06-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dudders View Post
RB6's in most hands don't work.
Explain?

Setup is key to make a car go right, you need to address the problems when they arise. Jumping to another brand of car just because driver X is going well is daft, you don't see it in full size car racing! You need to understand why the car isn't performing as it should and make the necessary changes to the setup or even change your driving style!
Old 04-06-2013
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

This confuses me as the RB6 is without the single best all round 2wd car that I’ve EVER run. I’ve seen a few people who have struggled and it is down to them trying to use a setup which is in no way suited to them and their driving style.

It’s all very well trying to drive the super aggressive, massively pointy setups that the superstars run but there is a reason they are the superstars … they can hold on to such a beast and get the best out of it to make the couple of 10ths each and every lap which makes the difference. Mere mortals who have yet to make the pact with the devil can’t do that. Like a single swallow not making a summer a single super lap doesn’t make a fast qualification time.

For most people they need a car that is dependable, predictable and importantly will tolerate the odd mistake without biting them like a rabid dog with sun stroke. The car that they can keep moving for the full five and half minutes will be the fastest car for them. Once they get to the point where they can do clean runs then they can start looking for the extra sparkle to bring the individual lap times down, if that costs them consistency then a little step back is needed.

This is the strongest part of the RB6’s character, like the Lazer FS2 it can be setup to be hugely forgiving without being slow over a lap and they can also be setup to be ultra fast for those that can hang on. Both cars can be whatever you want them to be as they are so neutral in their baseline handling.

I’ve tried to drive both Kev & Tony’s setups and whilst they are super quick over a lap I can not hang on to them for a full run and loose many times what I gain on a single whilst waiting for marshals several times in each run. Seems to me that Kev likes a lot of steering.

I’ve also tried Matty’s setup and I find that a little too pointy for me but still fairly predictable and I can get it round with car. A change to the front shock position was needed for me though. Seems Matty is a point and squirt driver.

So the above setups aren’t any good then? NO WAY!!!! They are fantastic and very fast as is regularly proven by those guys so if you drive similarly to those guys give them a try for sure!

Everybody who has driven my RB6 has come off the rostrum enthusing about how stable and easy to drive it is, common comments are “a very forgiving car”, “goes exactly where you point it, no surprises” , “so stable over the bumps and yet great direction change” … the list goes on. The proof is also in how little change is needed from track to track. I’ve basically run the same car on high grip astro, low-medium grip multi-surface and indoors on carpet. Only changes are small roll centre adjustments both ends to change the overall grip level / breakaway point and wheelbase, Kyosho cars seem very sensitive to wheelbase. VERY occasionally I’ll change springs to suit a big change in grip but again this tends to be both ends of the car together as the balance is brilliant!

Do I think mine is the ultimate setup? For the superstars probably not, they will want a car that rotates a little freer and is maybe a little more ‘on its nose’. For the absolute beginner also maybe not as it will probably have a bit too much mid corner & exit steering for them. I’m happy to advise how to tweak it to suit though. For the “typical” driver, F4-F2 level it will be a really good starting point and easy to dial in more or less natural rotation, entry steering etc. to suit an individual.

I think this is an example of what we see every time a new car comes out, people get it, throw on a setup from a superstar team driver and fail to gain the 3s/lap they were expecting and sell up rather than trying to get the car to suit them.

As for the other points of the RB6 it’s strong, reliable, responsive to setup changes and needs no hop-ups to perform (yes I have a few on mine but I like shiny things). You won’t be disappointed.

I’ll throw my “base setup” at Arno later so hopefully it will be on Petit soon.
Old 04-06-2013
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

a post from possibly the most unbiased racer on oople

yer I'm just poking some fun before any one jumps on me

at the end of the day different cars sometimes suite different people,one persons chalk is anthers cheese! if not we would all drive the same car as it was just so good, I have just posted my opinion of the car as have others, not said its crap (only ever save that for the cougar) the only way to truly know is to buy one and give it 6months then you will have a sure answer,

Flask of tea & a rollup