Go Back   oOple.com Forums > Car Talk > Schumacher

Old 07-01-2010

Red face SX Phil Booth edition differences?

Having raced various Schumachers about 20 years ago, curiousity got the better of me just before xmas and I got myself a Phil Booth SX off eBay! Having a RTR model seems odd to me, and not having a manual/exploded diagram to see how it all goes together is definitely alien!

Anyway, so what does the Phil Booth treatment actually involve? I notice that the idler gear is missing, and there's a degree or two of toe-out on the front. There's a large hole in the upper deck that appears to make it easier to fit one of the LiPo terminals, but that may have been the previous owner. What else? Diff settings? Slipper settings? Belt tensions? Shock pistons, springs, oils, etc? Are any components actually uprated or does it really only imply that it was assembled to Phil's spec?
Old 23-01-2010

150 views and nobody knows huh?
Old 23-01-2010
Mad Member

you should have had a manual and an idler gear the phill booth model comes with different top link plates and is pre built if i were you download the manual and give it a full rebuild.
Old 23-01-2010
Spends too long on oOple ...

Send a message via MSN to mark christopher

sounds to me like it was second hand and the seller did not give you all the bits!
Old 24-01-2010

Hmmm. It was sold used but "as new in box". It's in very good condition - can't have had more than a couple of runs out in the garden or a very clean track but as it's my first SX I don't have previous experience to draw upon.

I suspect he just forgot to give me the extra bits - if it's meant to have the idler cover I guess I'll just order myself a new one. I don't think there's a Phil Booth specific manual so the only one I've got is the one I downloaded off the Schumacher site with each page as individual pictures (haven't they heard of PDF?!) . Being the standard SX manual, it just has all the standard kit shown.

The top link plates are the small U-shaped CF parts that sit on top of each diff housing right? Looking at them the rear one definitely looks different from the manual - the ball links are closer to the centre line of the chassis. The front one looks like it *might* be different to stock, but the difference is less noticeable.

Being an RTR model, should it come with any tools? I don't have any but then I don't particularly mind not having the official Schumacher ones. What do I need? I still have all my Wiha hex and nut drivers from eons ago - hex down to about 2.5mm and M3/M4 nut drivers. Do I need any smaller? From eyeballing the car I can't see anything else I might need, unless there are other sizes tucked away inside the diffs/diff housings.
Old 25-01-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuackingPlums View Post
Hmmm. It was sold used but "as new in box". It's in very good condition - can't have had more than a couple of runs out in the garden or a very clean track but as it's my first SX I don't have previous experience to draw upon.

I suspect he just forgot to give me the extra bits - if it's meant to have the idler cover I guess I'll just order myself a new one. I don't think there's a Phil Booth specific manual so the only one I've got is the one I downloaded off the Schumacher site with each page as individual pictures (haven't they heard of PDF?!) . Being the standard SX manual, it just has all the standard kit shown.

The top link plates are the small U-shaped CF parts that sit on top of each diff housing right? Looking at them the rear one definitely looks different from the manual - the ball links are closer to the centre line of the chassis. The front one looks like it *might* be different to stock, but the difference is less noticeable.

Being an RTR model, should it come with any tools? I don't have any but then I don't particularly mind not having the official Schumacher ones. What do I need? I still have all my Wiha hex and nut drivers from eons ago - hex down to about 2.5mm and M3/M4 nut drivers. Do I need any smaller? From eyeballing the car I can't see anything else I might need, unless there are other sizes tucked away inside the diffs/diff housings.
It should have the cover and is included with the kit. The hole in the top brace is for better lipo fitment.

The differences I am aware of are: -

37.5mm rear link mount and longer links (53mm I think).
Grey front and red rear springs.
38.5mm front link mount and longer links (60mm I think)

There may be others.

Apparently, this is the setup the car comes with: -

http://www.oople.com/forums/showpost...&postcount=141

HTH.
Old 25-01-2010
oOple Advertiser

the Phil booth edition doesn't have a hole in the top deck for the connector to go through...(unless it's a running update since I got mine last year)

titanium turnbuckles
"old" red/grey springs
chassis with holes for lipo locators

the Kit part number is K091

if you've got the box, the sticker on the side should have the part number on it. From your description of the top deck, it sounds like you've got another version ?
Old 26-01-2010

Thanks for all the replies!

The sticker on the box says K091 Phil Booth Signature Edition. The springs are red/grey, and the turnbuckles are a shade of lilac - is this the fancy way of identifying them being titanium? ;-)

The hole in the top deck looks drilled or widened - maybe it was a stock upper deck and replaced/modded by the original owner. The lower deck has the two lipo locators, which I haven't CA'd onto my pack yet because it's too thick - I need to slice the sub-c humps off I think.
Old 26-01-2010

Quote:
Thanks for all the replies!

The sticker on the box says K091 Phil Booth Signature Edition. The springs are red/grey, and the turnbuckles are a shade of lilac - is this the fancy way of identifying them being titanium? ;-)

The hole in the top deck looks drilled or widened - maybe it was a stock upper deck and replaced/modded by the original owner. The lower deck has the two lipo locators, which I haven't CA'd onto my pack yet because it's too thick - I need to slice the sub-c humps off I think.
Have you got locators on you LIPO? What LIPOs are they?

Get the nortech retaining kit for the LIPOs..
Old 26-01-2010

I have the Nosram 5300 Xtreme 40C pack - it's got little nodules underneath that look like they should locate into a stick pack chassis.
Old 27-01-2010
oOple Advertiser

turn the nosram the other way round

as for the top deck, is it composite rather than carbon ?
Old 27-01-2010
Lion-O - King of the Thundercats

Send a message via MSN to bigred5765 Send a message via Skype™ to bigred5765

top deck just sounds like a lipo friendly one there just a upgrade or extra
Old 27-01-2010

If I turn the nosram over then the nodules foul the front pulley...

Top deck is cf, not composite. Lots of scratching around the lipo hole, which is why I thought it was a mod...
Old 28-01-2010

Quote:
If I turn the nosram over then the nodules foul the front pulley...

Top deck is cf, not composite. Lots of scratching around the lipo hole, which is why I thought it was a mod...
Change to the updated chassis or dremel the chassis. don't dremel the LIPO.
Old 28-01-2010

What's different about the updated chassis? Is it the upper deck, lower deck or both? The nodules on the lipo are just in the hard casing - they look like they'll come right off with a stanley knife...
Old 28-01-2010

Quote:
What's different about the updated chassis? Is it the upper deck, lower deck or both? The nodules on the lipo are just in the hard casing - they look like they'll come right off with a stanley knife...
At which pont they won't be BRCA legal and will be worth £0 if you wanted to sell them.

http://www.racing-cars.com/pp/New_Ca..._SX/U3480.html

http://www.racing-cars.com/pp/New_Ca..._SX/U3553.html

The S1 will give more flex.
Old 29-01-2010

Ah, thanks for that. I didn't even think there would be a second hand market for LiPos - I typically run my LiPos until they're shot and then dispose of them.