Go Back   oOple.com Forums > General > Electrics

Old 31-12-2011

Default Orion lipo battery 90c 5500 saddle pack bulge

Hi some advice please got a saddle pack Orion 5500 90c lipo 7.4 only had it 6 months I've noticed that one of the packs has a bulge in it and case is coming away, the other one is fine, I don't race electric that much and I have only charged this battery no more than 10 times on an Orion lipo balanced charger,
I used it about 4 times in June or July then stored it until I used it again in oct and nov, I have an old lrp saddle pack soft case lipo battery 3 years old still going strong. Is there any warranty on battery's? Or anything I've done wrong?
Old 31-12-2011
Spends too long on oOple ...

Send a message via MSN to mark christopher

what state did you store it in?
Old 31-12-2011

Always leave them fully charged
Old 31-12-2011
Spends too long on oOple ...

Send a message via MSN to mark christopher

That could well be your problem, just about all manufactures recommend you put them in a storage charge, most good chargers do this, there is a recommended voltage. But it escapes me at the moment.
The newer higher capacity cells do seem more sensitive
Old 31-12-2011
Awesome Admin

Send a message via AIM to Col

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark christopher View Post
IB4200's anyone?
Old 31-12-2011

Default lipo bulge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Col View Post
IB4200's anyone?
Bang on ! Latest tech always seems a bit fragile to begin with.
I can remember when some guys were popping a cell a race when 5 cell racing was in.

Last edited by CrashBangWallop; 31-12-2011 at 10:36 PM. Reason: additional text
Old 31-12-2011
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

Quote:
That could well be your problem, just about all manufactures recommend you put them in a storage charge, most good chargers do this, there is a recommended voltage. But it escapes me at the moment.
My Hyperion charges to 7.8v in store mode if I recall correctly. Not heard of anyone else having trouble with the Orions so you've been unlucky there.
I guess there's always going to be the odd failure whatever the make and model.

I remember my gold 20c trakpowers were the least reliable lipos I have owned to date but at the time they were new technology.

I have read that temperature increase when the cells are stored fully charged can do permanent damage.

See My Feedback

Old 31-12-2011
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

From Hyperion...

"Storage - Lipo should never be stored fully charged, or with less than 50% of capacity remaining. We strongly recommend Hyperion EOS chargers, as they have automatic STORE functions to insure that the packs are in the range of about 60%~70% capacity (3.78V~3.92V resting voltage per cell). After returning home for the day, simply use STORE MODE to achieve this automatically. Batteries are best stored in a cool, dry environment (2~20 °C or 37~68 °F)."

See My Feedback

Old 01-01-2012
No trade access

About storage option, do you know what current to use for discharge ?

Got an Orion AC charger but only discharge at 1A, seems too low and at very very long to do.
Bought me a Muchmore celle aster especially for that but don't what discharge current to use.
Old 01-01-2012

I had issue with a set of Orion 90c saddles, never got to the bottom of it ended up buying a new pack. I just put it down to me doing something wrong as only just come back to racing and not used lipos before.

After about 10-15 charges the pack would no longer balance charge, seemed like there was no punch and nearly full throttle around the lap after a couple of minutes in to race, then came to charge before a meeting and got low voltage on charger.

Also was slight swelling on cells but no split on case. Suppose like with most electrical items it's hard to say wether its user error on a faulty product although I'm adamant I didn't do anything, didn't store them full, never left them connected to car

Dex410 v3

RiponJetSkiClub.com
Old 01-01-2012

Send a message via Skype™ to Timee80

Quote:
+1 totally agree with Mark. And it is much more important with the newer high discharge lipos. the less powerful lipos seem to be fine when stored at full voltage though.
Old 01-01-2012
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomtom View Post
About storage option, do you know what current to use for discharge ?

Got an Orion AC charger but only discharge at 1A, seems too low and at very very long to do.
Bought me a Muchmore celle aster especially for that but don't what discharge current to use.
Maybe you're only able to discharge at 1A max on the Orion charger cos it's not able to dissipate the energy any faster ( get rid of the heat )

Personal opinion is that discharge current is not important like charge current is. My theory is that any of our chargers won't be able to discharge as quickly as a pack would discharge under load during use anyway.

See My Feedback

Old 01-01-2012
No trade access

Well, the Orion could charge up to 5A and discharge up to 1A but my new charger could charge up to 16A and discharge up to 10A.

Was worried about discharging at 1A and thought about discharging from 1C to 10A (5200/45C lipo saddles) but no precise figure in mind.

I was told those new cells need to be charge just before use and stock at half charge. Got some friends who take care not to go too low on the run, not running the car up to esc cutoff at 3.0 but rather use the lipo up to half charge.