Go Back   oOple.com Forums > Events & Venues > CLUB TALK > Eden Park Raceway

Old 10-03-2010

Default Kit refresh choices for EPR?

Hi Guys,

It's that time of the year again when I'm toying with replacing my current RC kit to have a go down EPR again (has been quite a few years!)

As someone else said recently, I ran a Cougar 2 Works back in the Kevin Moore and Dave Evans days

Had a Tekin 410S ESC, Futaba SR Radio gear, 12T motor, 1700 SCRC Nicads, Scumacher PC5 Peak/Thermal charger etc.

Am scared that I'll break something on the old Cougar if I run it on the track again and not be able to replace it so am toying with the idea of parting with it and updating my kit (still just toying with the idea )

Current ideas are:

-Cougar SV (not sure on model yet)
-Losi Xcelorin 6.5T Combo (will this run slower than my old setup??)
-Couple of Lipo packs (undecided which yet)
-Might jump to a Pistol/Wheel type radio (not 2.4Ghz yet as there seem to still be problems with that)
-Orion Advantage Race Spec Charger (£77, and charges nicd, nimh, lipo etc. up to 10A)

Did look at the Bantam BC6 or a Core RC UDC-30 but think the more up to date software in the UDC-30 or Orion will be better, and then choose the Orion over the UDC-30 as it charges at a higher rate if needed and can do more than just Lipos)

I guess the other alternative to keep costs down is to get the SV, new charger and packs, then run my old radio gear with the Tekin Speedo, new brushed motor with a Lipo alarm

Just wondering what peoples thoughts were on my choices above from the past few weeks of reading forum posts and googling around.
Old 10-03-2010

Personally i'd suggest staying away from the xceleron speedos, i've seen way to many people have problems with them. i know some people will disagree, but its just my opinion

get something like a speed passion/tekin/nosram/LRP or even the Xceed speedo. A fried of mine has been given the xceed to try and said hes very impressed with it considering how cheap it is!

Other than that it all sounds good, i can certainly say the orion is good charger, nice and simple and reliable
Old 10-03-2010
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

Best thing is to come down to EPR on a work party day or at the next meeting. There is loads of good second hand gear to get you up and going!
I am biased, so I would say get a Schumacher, the amount of help you will get at EPR is HUGE!!!!!!!!!!! As there are many Schumacher drivers.
Old 10-03-2010

Thanks for the info.

I'll see what else I can come up with around the £130 - £140 mark. It's a shame as there is someone on here that has a Losi ESC combo for sale for a reasonable price that I was considering and I like the tunability idea via card/USB.

Do you think I'll be better going for a 5.5 and tweaking it down a tad if needed on the ESC/ Transmitter so I've got a bit in reserve should I want it in the future? (or is 5.5 at Eden Park in a 2WD a bit mad )

--
Thanks Dave, I would prefer to stay Schumacher too rather than go to an RC10.
Old 10-03-2010
Spends too long on oOple ...

After seeing and speaking with the Williams family re the cougar I wouldn't go lower than a 7.5

I personally wouldn't get a Losi ESC. I'd go for a speed passion mated to one of their V3 motors.

What's the budget?

Schumacher boys at EPR are very helpful
Old 10-03-2010
Mad Member

Would recommend that you try and come along to our next 'official' Work party/practice day to have a chat and look see what we're using and what's available rather than get into a long and possibly confusing thread on here!

Our next diaried event is Saturday 20 March when we will continue our changes/development of the track but will also have time, later in the day, to have a chat.

Would summarise your thoughts:

Cougar - no release date as yet, may want to think about good second-hand alternatives!
6.5T - NOT in 2WD, most drivers even some of the best, have settled for 7.5T's, geared correctly it would definitely be faster than your old equipment. And definitely NOT 5.5T!
NB - Nothing wring with Losi Xcelorin's, have used them since they came out, running both forwards and in reverse (CR2) to good effect!
LiPo's - Yeah 2 packs will do it, and you don't need the most expensive, largest capacity, highest C rated in a 2WD. Would suggest looking at the BRCA approved list if you want to race at sanctioned events.
2.4GHz - Nothing wrong with it, lots of us using it without ANY problems, it is the way to go, no interference, no crystal clashes, fit and forget!
Steerwheel - plenty of established and new 2,4GHz sets on the market now without breaking the bank.
Chargers - lots of multifunction chargers out there now, lots at reasonable prices.

As a club we are often aware of second-hand items that regulars and members are making available and this is an alternative possibility that you may like to consider.

Hope to see you soon!
Old 10-03-2010
Mad Member

Hi Speedy

What is your name? I am sure others may remember you...

Matt
Old 10-03-2010
Mad Member

I believe the Cougar is expected this month and if you are a fan, then hold out for one.

You can get two runs out of a sensible sized capacity LiPo, so two packs makes life easy although you could always start with one to reduce costs.

In my opinion, anyone investing in a charger should buy a LiPo/LiFe compatible unit for flexibility and making it more future proof.

Depending upon the manufacturer, a 6.5 or 7.5 is ideal. Perfromance from the motor will also depend upon the spec of the LiPos you have.

Hope this helps
Old 11-03-2010

Ok, thanks guys some useful feedback there.

Radio - Are the guys that are running 2.4Ghz running the mid to top level units rather than the bottom end £60 sets? I've heard of range limitation problems compared to standard kit. Think I've only ever had interfearance once on my old kit (funnily enough at EPR when someone turned on their tranny in the car park during practice time to run their car around and smashed mine into the fence flat out at the end of the straight (anti-clockwise), took out my front kick up plate/mount and a wishbone, doh! I guess 2.4Ghz would stop this in the future.

Car - Will probably hold out for the Cougar.

Motor/ESC - Sounds like 7.5 (or 6.5 trimmed down a bit) is the order of the day then, think I'll have a look around and see what local good 2nd hand units I can source.

Batts - Without a doubt will probably be a couple of LiPo Units, most of you guys running Corrally connectors or Dean's these days? (What ever happened to the old silver LRP ones we used to run? )

Charger - Think I'm settled on that Orion unit as it seems reasonably future proof.

Thanks all.

-Paul, I'll see if I can put a pick of my old car up, people would probably recognise that more than me.
Old 11-03-2010
Spends too long on oOple ...

Hi,

Just to make it clear for the other people here, I'm not a member of EPR, but made my first trip to EPR on the 7/3 and loved it. My home club is TORCH in Hampshire.

I'm running a KO Helios with Spektrum 2.4Ghz, but I got it 2nd hand. Awesome piece of kit, but a bit expensive new. Worked flawlessly at EPR, the only issue I have ever had was my fault and that was at TORCH.

I'm running corrally connectors, but that is due to the Nosram 5300 LIPOs having female corrally connectors built in. If I was looking at LIPOs I would look at Speed Passion, Nosram or Vampire Racing and they all have the female corrally connectors (these brands are ones that I have used). There are also lots more good cells and I'd recommend having a look on the BRCA list. When I started with LIPOs last year I had a few sets of TrakPower 3600s and they were brilliant in my Losi XXCR and I got them 2nd hand for a good price.

http://www.brca.org/BRCA/elecboard/n...0v1%20pdf2.pdf

As for the motor go 7.5 or above.

Car wise I don't think you can go wrong with a Cougar. I think it's all down to personal taste and what you can get spares for easily. on the 7/3 I saw AE B4s a B3, Losi XXX, XXXCR, Atomic Carbon CR2s, Xfactory X6s and of course the Cougar. At our club it's all B4s (with the exception of a XXCR) which is a bit of a shame as we never see anything different. However this I think shows how good the B4 is for all levels.

I'm by no means the quickest or best racer, but as people know I like to ask questions.

I hope this info helps and if I need correcting please correct me!

As other people have said get down to EPR and have a chat with people. We encourage this at our club too as you'll then see the kit in action and get your hands on things to have a look.