Go Back   oOple.com Forums > Car Talk > Mardave

Old 21-07-2009
Mad Member

Default Mardave Cobra Stuff / Discussion

Hi All

Ive recently got ahold of a a Cobra and am keen on getting it running and racing it at my club.. (I like a challenge). I have got a few questions I'm keen to ask though.

As far as I remember the shocks are oil shocks? If so how do I open them?

Will any spur just fit?

Is there a GRP chassis? The Aluminium one just seems like its ready to bend at the drop of a hat.

And any tuning tips?

I'll post pictures once I get the shell painted.

Cheers
Old 21-07-2009

Send a message via MSN to colmo Send a message via Skype™ to colmo

You might want to give this site a look: http://www.planet-venom.co.uk/

Photos:
Oople Invernational 2010 - Sodden Sunday
Muchmore N. Irish GP 2010 (Touring cars)
BADMCC 1/8th Nitro buggies

Current cars:
X6^2 | JC BJ4WE | TM E4 & E4JS | HPI E-Firestorm | Losi Crawler | + many F1s, super crawlers, scalers, drifters in the works...
Old 21-07-2009
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

From what I remember the shocks unscrew from the bottom.
Can't remember about the spur gear but the good news is that Mardave have re-released the Cobra so all the parts are available.

Fibrelyte used to do carbon fibre parts for the Cobra, including the chassis, shock mounts, etc. However, you'd have to really love it to spend that sort of money on one.

Never ran one so can't help with the setups I'm afraid.
Old 21-07-2009
Spends too long on oOple ...

Get hold of Chris Wilkinson at Mardave as he has recently redone bits for the Mardave.

I'd love to see it do well
Old 21-07-2009

there will be a 2009 cobra released very soon! many parts uprated and brushless ready
if you cant wait he still makes and sells the cobra se new direct from Mardave.
You can also get a whole new slipper set rather than fixing the old confusing one!!
Old 21-07-2009
Mad Member

I'll be interested to see what the 2009 edition is like. However I want to see what my old school one will achieve.

As to brushless ready, what really would you need other than Universal drive shafts? I Intend to Run a brushless in mine anyways.

For the 2009 one the chassis is the big thing that could / should be changed.. and the shocks.
Old 21-07-2009

Send a message via Skype™ to westie

2009 one isnt much different from the one you have, maybe a sliper clutch and a anodised chassis which would be stiffer than the yellow standard one. Get some ae shocks or losi ones as the std mardave ones leak.

Old 21-07-2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by westie View Post
2009 one isnt much different from the one you have, maybe a sliper clutch and a anodised chassis which would be stiffer than the yellow standard one. Get some ae shocks or losi ones as the std mardave ones leak.

are you on about the one due sep/oct time with a revised diff(at last)
turnbuckles and a host of improvements over the recently reissued se?
Old 21-07-2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by qatmix View Post
I'll be interested to see what the 2009 edition is like. However I want to see what my old school one will achive.

As to brushless ready, what really would you need other than Universal drive shafts? I Intend to Run a brushless in mine anyways.

For the 2009 one the chassis is the big thing that could / should be changed.. and the shocks.
the old cobra gearbox and diff dont like brushless, infact the diff with no plates was/is the achillies heal of the cobra
Old 21-07-2009
Mad Member

What exactly was the problem? I remember them being ok with a 17t motor back in the day. Although I know brushless motors have a lot more overall torque.

Also looking at this one, it seems to have a slipper of sorts.. (and carbon fibre shock mounts) Although I cant work out how to add a spur to it atm...
Old 11-03-2010

Default Any body sell second hand Mardave Cobras to Ireland

Hi there ,
I have been out of the scene for a long time (14years exactly) and have bought 2 Ansmann Madrats for my kids, I would have bought the Mardave Cobra but they are so expensive new . I am though determined to buy a Cobra for myself but cant find anyone willing to sell their Mardave Cobra to anywhere but in the UK . I owned a Mardave Meteor for my first car moved onto Traxass TRX-1 and then a number Schumacher Cougars from 1 to the Cougar 2000 but back then I always wanted to try out a Mardave Cobra and Mod it with the Associated Gearbox and a few other bits Carbon ShockTowers etc but never got the chance .

My query is does anyone sell second hand to Ireland I have tried a few on Ebay but all wouldnt ship to Ireland but am determined to buy one I will pay the shipping charges !! . I am looking for a cheap rolling chassis in any condition but cant find anyone thats willing to ship. Is there anyone out there ?

My aim is to make the car as competitive as the Associated cars even using the new gearbox parts that are now available for it but need the rolling chassis to start .

Wynneb
Old 16-03-2010
Mad Member

Big problem is that Mardave still havent released the new diff. So you cant really run brushless in it. I have a 12t in mine and it seems to powerful and the diff slipps.
Old 23-03-2010

Default cobra

i have a cobra with a development gbox, carbon chassis, towers, traxxas shox and loads of other bits. i run it now and again and it does well. its the car on mardaves site. trying to fit a b3 box to make it more reliable
Old 03-04-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by adey View Post
i have a cobra with a development gbox, carbon chassis, towers, traxxas shox and loads of other bits. i run it now and again and it does well. its the car on mardaves site. trying to fit a b3 box to make it more reliable
really nice looking buggy, i thought the buggy on the site had the new diff etc already fitted and was testing it out ready for me to buy some, drat, i need a new a diff, they've got none avaliable at the mo over at mardave
Old 03-04-2010

here's mine
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Picture 1069.jpg (28.5 KB, 111 views)
Old 13-04-2015

Hi Guys, not sure if any of you are interested but I have two Mardave Cobra's that I'm looking to sell, can send pictures of them both.

Pm me with your email address for pictures to be sent.

Richard