Go Back   oOple.com Forums > General > International fOrums > Ireland

Old 19-03-2011

Default Info needed to start ?

Hi Tony /Michael/William ,
I am trying to finally get back racing this year , a wedding , communion and confirmation, (my kids and myself and partner got married) last year meant that I couldnt even think about getting back to it even though I wanted to.

In the meantime though I bought my 9year old a 4wd car the Maverick Strada xb RTR to mess about with , to make sure he actually wanted to start racing, He does want to race but he wants to race his 4wd car not 2wd like what I wanted him to start with , to top that off my eldest kid 12 year old wants to start as well but he had a go with the same car and he wants to start off in 4wd clubman ,my first question is , is there a 4wd clubman series for them to race in ?

Next off it is a brushed set up , what sized brushless set-up can he start off with 10.5t? I bought a cheap 10.5t set-up from hobbyking can my youngest kid use it in club races ?

What batteries can we use , I saw hardcased lipos in Hobbyking can we use them to start racing?

And I couldnt get into the link on the DMCC site but what are the club registration fees , and the weekly fees to race ?

Last question being I have a vintage Predator can I still race this in 4wd mod cant afford to get a new car this year maybe next year once I get started ?

My appologies for all the questions.

Thanks & Regards
Brian Wynne
Old 19-03-2011
Mad Member

Hi Brian, to answer some of your questions.
4wd clubman isn't really ran at the moment but that is only because we don't get any entries for it. If we had the numbers we would run it. The most popular classes are 2wd mod and clubman and both are fiercely competitive at the moment. Saying that if you and your kids came down we would get you racing somewhere even if it was initially in the 2 wd heats, I can't honestly see it being an issue.
Clubman club rules specify 10.5 or greater with no esc timing boost allowed.
As long as your lipos are sensible and hard cased they will be allowed.
As far as your pred goes, assuming you have or can get spares it will be fine.

Hope this helps

Ian Hunter (DMCC Drivers Rep)
Old 19-03-2011

Hi Ian ,
Thanks for the quick reply . If there is only 2 running , would it then be possible for them to race with the modifieds , if they didnt get in the way ?

I know it is hassle , I wanted them to start in 2wd like myself , 20years ago but they are really set on keeping the 4wd and also when will you be going outdoor ?

Thanks & Regards
Brian Wynne
Old 19-03-2011
Mad Member

Outdoor in Lucan next Sunday the 27th. More of a track build but hopefully some racing. Best thing to do is bring what you got and we'll squeeze you in somewhere suitable for your abilities.
Old 19-03-2011
Mad Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ian h View Post
Outdoor in Lucan next Sunday the 27th. More of a track build but hopefully some racing. Best thing to do is bring what you got and we'll squeeze you in somewhere suitable for your abilities.
No, track was cut today. Full proper days racing on the 27th - we're hitting the ground running
Old 19-03-2011
Mad Member

Good stuff, looking forward to it.
Old 19-03-2011

hi brian,tony kavanagh here.good to hear from you.as ian said bring what you have and we will get you runing(as for club championships and such thats up to the dmcc comittee,but dont see it as a problem)maybe if you bring the kids out and they see what a 2wd is capible of the might be more easily swayed.any questions give me a shout on here.also with regards to the pred unless you have a large stock of spares it might be cheaper to get a second hand b4(you wont have to carry spares as mick has everything trackside and b4's dont cost much second hand)also the pred may very well be worth a few quid on here or ebay to a collector(example a few years ago i bought a 94 rc10 worlds car for pretty much the same cost of a new b4) demand has maybe dropped off but still worth looking into.
Old 20-03-2011

Send a message via MSN to colmo Send a message via Skype™ to colmo

A general suggestion if your boys are set on 4WD - have a look at the LRP S10 Blast BX, not much more expensive than a Strada but much higher spec - threaded shocks (big bore!), slipper clutch, front CVDs too.

Mick was advertising a B4 roller at the CVMCC GP for £100, you can be sure its well sorted.

Photos:
Oople Invernational 2010 - Sodden Sunday
Muchmore N. Irish GP 2010 (Touring cars)
BADMCC 1/8th Nitro buggies

Current cars:
X6^2 | JC BJ4WE | TM E4 & E4JS | HPI E-Firestorm | Losi Crawler | + many F1s, super crawlers, scalers, drifters in the works...
Old 20-03-2011

Hi Tony,
Good to hear from an old hand in R/C ,Thanks for that But I dont know about the B4's , I was never into Associated back in the day and I cant sell the old pred , I only raced the car a few times and well I said to myself last year if I was going back I would have to try the Predator out for at least a few races and try to go easy on it , I can still get spares for it from Team Xtreme they hardly changed it until a couple of years ago.I just want to get started again , once started again see whats new and then buy something for myself , I was lookin at getting the Losi 22?

But its the kids that are the problem. I only got the Strada xb just to make sure they wanted to race, I was actually lookin at getting a couple second hand B4's for the 2 of them to race and go from there . But if I do get another 4wd like they want , would that be okay?

On the LRP S10 Blast it looks good I would have got that one for them but if I get another car for the sake of not having to hold too many spares I might get the same car and go from there .

Thanks everyone for all the advice , I will bring the kids down to see the 2wd's racing next week it might change their mind.

Thanks
Brian
Old 20-03-2011

If you need any parts for the pred (brings back a big big smile!!), let me know - I can probably sort you out with them from stock.

And of course any other help we can pffer, please just call the shop on 02838330555.
Old 20-03-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by wynneb View Post
Hi Tony,
Good to hear from an old hand in R/C ,Thanks for that But I dont know about the B4's , I was never into Associated back in the day and I cant sell the old pred , I only raced the car a few times and well I said to myself last year if I was going back I would have to try the Predator out for at least a few races and try to go easy on it , I can still get spares for it from Team Xtreme they hardly changed it until a couple of years ago.I just want to get started again , once started again see whats new and then buy something for myself , I was lookin at getting the Losi 22?

But its the kids that are the problem. I only got the Strada xb just to make sure they wanted to race, I was actually lookin at getting a couple second hand B4's for the 2 of them to race and go from there . But if I do get another 4wd like they want , would that be okay?

On the LRP S10 Blast it looks good I would have got that one for them but if I get another car for the sake of not having to hold too many spares I might get the same car and go from there .

Thanks everyone for all the advice , I will bring the kids down to see the 2wd's racing next week it might change their mind.

Thanks
Brian
hi brian dont see there being any problem with you getting a second 4wd at all.one thing about the b4 is that you wont have to carry spares as theres more than enough trackside.whatever you do you will be more than welcome to run with it
Old 20-03-2011

Hi Tony,
Lookin forward to getting back to it ,I will see what happens when I bring the kids down to the track next week and go from there. Whats worse though is I still have an old procat , cougar 2000 and traxxas TRX1/3 that I was thinking of dusting off and trying but I know there is no chance of getting parts for them so I will see how it goes with the Predator.

More than likely though I will be going for the b4 because of the availability of the spares.

See you there but what time does everyone go down at ? and is the track easy enough to find ?

Brian
Old 20-03-2011

ModelTune,
Knowing the Predator , I will be needing quite a few spares , I might also be calling you to see about getting a couple of parts to get the car racing again .

Thanks for that
Old 20-03-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by wynneb View Post
Hi Tony,
Lookin forward to getting back to it ,I will see what happens when I bring the kids down to the track next week and go from there. Whats worse though is I still have an old procat , cougar 2000 and traxxas TRX1/3 that I was thinking of dusting off and trying but I know there is no chance of getting parts for them so I will see how it goes with the Predator.

More than likely though I will be going for the b4 because of the availability of the spares.

See you there but what time does everyone go down at ? and is the track easy enough to find ?

Brian

things generaly kick off about 1030 on sunday mornings up and running by twelve.next weekend will be our first outdoor meeting this season so may be a bit slow to get going.track is easy to find.maps on the dmcc website,do you know where superquinn is in lucan by any chance?easy to find from there
Old 21-03-2011

I dont know lucan too well ,I was down there a year ago , I do remember the superquinn .
Old 21-03-2011

I saw the directions on the website but I can usually get lost on a penny and so just thought I'd ask . I'll have a look for it during the week while i'm in dublin .

Thanks for that .
Old 21-03-2011

ok pm'd you my number if you need directions give me a shout
Old 23-03-2011

Question Parts for old cars

Talking of parts for old cars ,would anyone have front hubs and wishbones foe a Kyosho Optima Turbo ????