Go Back   oOple.com Forums > General > International fOrums > Ireland

Old 30-10-2012

Default Modern equivalent of Mardave Meteor?

Hi guys,
myself and Sean really enjoyed visiting the DMCC track on Sunday. It looks super. Indoors, Proper Pits with electrical sockets and tables, a kitchen, a proper rostrum and jumps. Nothing like the hardship in my day. Thanks for all the advice on cars and kit. Although the DEX410 is clearly the way forward for decent 4wd racing...... we all have to start somewhere.

We have opted for the Ansmann Mad Monkey as a starter car. It is similar to the Mad Rat but has a mid mounted motor. It retails at about £67 delivered and £15 for a set of ballraces and of course $15 for a decent bumper.

It reminds me very much of the Mardave Meteor from the early 90s/late 80s pricing point with similar upgrade options. I hope it is as tough. We are just speccing up the box required for Sean to stand on to see over the rostrum.

Looking forward to seeing you in a few weeks when we get all the kit together!

All the best

Ian & Sean
Old 01-11-2012

Hi Ian ,
The more on the Ansmann side the better see you down there in a couple of weeks .

Brian
Old 01-11-2012
Mad Member

Always a good idea to buy something for which you can get spares locally/trackside..... DEX210 RTR / B4 RTR......
Old 01-11-2012

Hi Will ,
Thats a bit sarcastic , you should of course run something that you can get parts for , but if its a choice between spending in €90 to €100 on a Mad rat and dex210 €300 to get kids started in the sport , then I will gladly spend on the Madrat , and I have only had one major breakage with these cars in the 5 months my kids have been racing with them the rest being ball joints and radio problems nothing to do with the cars .

Ian I can help you with the car if you need it and keep a front bulkhead a couple of wishbones in the box and you are sorted oh and the plastic shocks either glue the tops on each time you change the oil as the come off sometimes or change them for a cheap set thats it.

Also you can buy another car to have all the spares you will ever need for a year.

Sorry for ranting but well its a great car and if you keep the bare minimum in your box you should be sorted.

Brian
Old 01-11-2012

Oh and I forgot to add the major breakage a bulkhead only happened 2 weeks ago and it was , the older car I bought 2 years ago that broke and Ansmann / Team C have upgraded that so that it may not even break next time .

Sorry Will , if we are to get new people into this sport we have to think of the cost to start and these are pretty damn cheap and the more of these cars that start racing the more that will need spares , so maybe someone may start stocking them ??There will now be 4 of these cars racing soon and soon 5 when I start !

Brian
Old 01-11-2012
Mad Member

Sorry Brian, wasn't trying to offend you. Yeah, absolutely, 100 euro to get started is great. If there is a few people running them, then coming together to keep some spares would be the smart way to go about it.
Old 01-11-2012

Fellahs, you are both right in your own way but to a little lad, the mad monkey is like a ferrari and a good introduction to racing. If he likes it he can move up the ranks. I was going to run the 25 year old RC10 and thought it would just be easier with a new basic car. We will get a 2nd car for spares and use the wheels/tyres from it etc.

When I got my 3 cars from the attic (Rc10, cougar, optima mid turbo), I discovered that they all needed a little work/parts to get them going and this route was simpler/cheaper.

Racing needs a basic class in my view in order to keep costs down and get people in. Maybe if we get 6+ mad rats/monkeys going, there will be a trade in parts. A bit of variety is good for everyone.

thanks

Ian
Old 01-11-2012

Send a message via MSN to metalmickey0

Nothing wrong with an Ansmann Mad Monkey. I got one and its beaten quite a few higher priced cars, much to the surprise of their owners. And that was from kit
Old 01-11-2012

No Will ,
You didnt offend its a hobby , no harm no foul , its just since I have been back there has been this thing about getting decent cars like schuamacher , Durango /associated and starting with them , but I only started with a mardave just like Ian said , these are in a way the first step .

My kids have heard also what others have said about these cars and I just think well the proof is in racing them and I asked if my eldest kid would like to change to something else he said not a chance, he is starting to get the hang of things and wants the chance to prove them wrong and last week in the finals 1 of the madrats beat a couple of the brands

At the price they cant be beat .

Brian
Old 01-11-2012

Just if any of you lads are interested have a spare speed passion esc up for grabs p/m me if interested and ill be there on Sunday and best of luck with the buggys should be interesting racing comming up in the clubman class long may it last