Go Back   oOple.com Forums > General > Electrics

Old 20-05-2015

Default Fan stopped working?

Hi guys

Any idea on this one? So I have a Hobbywing 2.1 120A, I've had it since January and its been running perfectly. About a month ago, I noticed the fan stopped working after a heat. I bought a new fan, but that also stopped working after a few heats.

I contacted the seller and they replaced it for a brand new ESC, got that today, soldered it all up and the fan stopped working after a few runs! the actual ESC runs perfectly, no glitches or anything.

The fan points are getting voltage, basically the same voltage as the batteries (I assume thats correct?) but I cant understand why its stopped. The receiver is the same as I've had for years, the only thing I've changed is I recently went from a 6.5t HPI motor to a 8.5t Vampire motor. The motor isnt run hard, its got zero boost and 10degrees turbo. Could a motor run perfectly but cause a fan to stop ?

Any thoughts or suggestions?

Thanks
Old 21-05-2015

Does it need to have a fan?....i dunno but the old speedos never had them if its not getting hot then maybe you'll be ok
Old 21-05-2015

Its getting fairly hot. I havent tested it with a digital thermometer or anything but after a session you couldnt keep you thumb on the heatsink for more than like 5secs, it wouldnt burn but hot enough. I'm worried on a scorching summers day (you know that one day a year we get ) it'll overheat and stop.

I tested the fan port with a volt meter with throttle & steering for a few minutes and didnt see any spikes in voltage so really stumped.

I bought some cheap fans from Hobbyking so I've fitted that one & see what happens at the next meet, I've also made one up that fits into the receiver & that will need to do if the first one packs up again.
Old 21-05-2015
Mad Member

FWIW, I keep a little box of various ESC fans in my hauler.
Buy them in reasonable quantities and they are almost cheap enough to not worry about binning them as soon as you have an issue.
Pretty sure they aren't designed for the sort of environment we use them in either. Just small fans for home electronics, not designed to be bounced and smashed round a dusty, dirty race track.......
Old 21-05-2015
Mad Member

Only issue is that I've got 5 ESCs all off which need different fans.
Old 21-05-2015

Connect the faulty fans to a battery and not fastened to anything else, do they run? It is very strange but on my old. V2.1 I use in a tourer I have to only use 1 screw because anymore flex's the plastic enough to stop the fan ? Also if the car is turned upside down the fan stops!! It is the original and have tried other HW fans that don't work at all