Go Back   oOple.com Forums > General > Electrics

Old 18-05-2015

Default Review Trackstar Gen2 120A

At the start of the year I was approached by hobbyking to review some of their ROAR approved products.I said why not,what have i got to loose.So a week later I get a box in the mail with some goodies in it for me.

The first item i'll reveiw is the TrackStar Gen2 120A ESC.I wasn't expecting too much from the esc as i believe you get what you pay for.

The 120A is compatible up to a 5.5T, with boost. there was no programming card included,which is ok as I only know one brand that supply a card with the ESC.You will need the Trackstar Multifunction Box (9052000048) if you want to use all the features of the ESC.With this ESC there is no need for a computer to change between Stock mode(blinky) and any of the timing or boost modes.i liked that feature but i think track owner/clubs will need to keep an eye on this in the stock ranks.

Out of the box the ESC looks good in its red and black colours.It's not the smallest ESC but it is by no means large in size.I hink no one would have any trouble fitting it into any buggy or car.To help with fitting is a built-in on/off switch. The designers have managed to achieve a high end performance look for this unit. It came with some basic instructions but is lacking the specifics needed for fine tuning. The functions of the ESC sounded familiar, then I realised I’d seen it all before in the Hobbywing Xerun V3.1,in fact it has exactly the same tuning options. After downloading the Hobbywing manual, I got the extra info i was after and even the base setups for different profiles.I set it up the same as the Stock profile as i run Stock buggy and i was ready to go.On the track the power was smooth and the brakes were strong,a little too strong.A bit of tuning with the program card and i got the feel i was after.

Overall it was easy to set up and the ESC performed better then expected. I have had no isues over the last couple of months that i've been using it.It actually performed so well that I'm starting to swap out my other ESCs with this one.With all the available functions it offers it is a good match to the seasoned stock or modified racer with all the functions and performance of a high end product at just under 1/3rd the price.