Go Back   oOple.com Forums > General > General Race Chat

Old 05-06-2018

Just out of interest has anyone tried the blue darts?
Schumacher Cat K2
Schumacher KF2
Tamiya DF03 Dark Impact
Tamiya TB04
Vintage Tamiya TL01 Baja Champ
Vintage Tamiya Striker
Old 05-06-2018
Mad Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Navek668 View Post
Just out of interest has anyone tried the blue darts?
Some people I know love them at our local track, but that has tons of grip even on worn tyres,

Others hated the blues at a different track.
Old 06-06-2018
Mad Member

Using near bald tyres at club nights was great fun. Amazing how much grip came back to them once they were propped bald. Think they got softer too
Old 06-06-2018
Mad Member

Send a message via MSN to MattW

I'm surprised it's taken this long for this one to come up to be honest, it was obvious where it was gong last time I raced off rd (something like 4 years ago).

I actually think the cars have made a big difference, the cars have significantly less mechanical traction now than they had 6-8 years ago, alongside more power.
Old 07-02-2020
Mad Member

Just seen this thread again so thought I would dig it out!

Would be amazing to see a 17.5t 2WD buggy class in the UK. With how fast the cars have become and shorter life span of the preferred tyres, I'm sure a 17.5t class would prove popular for better tyre wear and closer racing.

Mod - Open motor, open tyres
Stock - 17.5 motor, spike tyre

Easy.

Mendip R/C Raceway - Offroad Racing in South-West
WORM-Racing - GT12 Racing in the South-West

Last edited by Danosborne6661; 07-02-2020 at 01:19 PM.
Old 07-02-2020

I would love stock buggy racing... Mentioned it a few times at my local large indoor track and have been met with alot of booing and hissing from the crowd 😂😂
Old 07-02-2020

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danosborne6661 View Post
Just seen this thread again so thought I would dig it out!

Would be amazing to see a 17.5t 2WD buggy class in the UK. With how fast the cars have become and shorter life span of the preferred tyres, I'm sure a 17.5t class would prove popular for better tyre wear and closer racing.

Mod - Open motor, open tyres
Stock - 17.5 motor, spike tyre

Easy.
Probably 10.5t 4wd and 13.5t 2wd would work better, as someone mentioned in another post in this country no one is interested I just wanna run as fast as possible
Old 07-02-2020

The major downside to stock classes is the motor and battery side of it, In Mod the cars have too much power so can get away with 2nd hand or older motors and batteries.
If you look at classes like GT12 then its all about finding that extra edge, thats through high Amp charging or buying every new motor out and tuning them. The cost of tyres is far cheaper the extra cost to do that.
Old 07-02-2020

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kev B View Post
The major downside to stock classes is the motor and battery side of it, In Mod the cars have too much power so can get away with 2nd hand or older motors and batteries.
If you look at classes like GT12 then its all about finding that extra edge, thats through high Amp charging or buying every new motor out and tuning them. The cost of tyres is far cheaper the extra cost to do that.
Disagree.
I'm running in 13.5 tc and 17.5 tc, one year old batteries and 1 year old motors.
Not a huge difference unless your top 5 at a large event.
Old 07-02-2020
Mad Member

Quote:
I have always had this view as it has made batteries/motors really cheap for the little bit of off road racing I do over the summer – 2 year old cheap cells and £30 second-hand motors still have more power than my thumbs can deal with.

However I have to say the thought of a more manageable amount of power is starting to sound more and more appealing. In other classes I race I certainly see the slower the motor, generally the closer the racing. Faster classes tend to have an element of drivers just about hanging on to their cars and just trying to keep them on the track rather than any close racing.

I can see with a stock motor class that there would be undoubtedly be a motor/battery war up towards the front of the pack but probably only amongst those that currently already make the decision to spend lots on tyres/motors/latest cars. The rest of us might get cars that did not shred tyres and allow us to actually race each other a bit closer.

Might become more of a class for newer drivers and those who have got, how shall I put it, more vintage thumbs? Sure, you will get a few ringers who would run in it and throw vast amounts of money at it but so what, that happens in virtually r/c class I’ve seen.

Never suggest getting rid of Open Mod for those that want it though.
Yokomo YZ4 SF2
Old 07-02-2020
Mad Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkHawk View Post
Probably 10.5t 4wd and 13.5t 2wd would work better, as someone mentioned in another post in this country no one is interested I just wanna run as fast as possible

I already run a 10.5t in 2WD and I'm pretty much as quick as the 6.5t/7.5t motors when it comes to a complete race on a smaller track like at Mendip. I think you'd want something like a 17.5t to make the classes different enough, otherwise they're just too similar and not worthwhile - 17.5t is what the yanks run in stock.

Quote:
Quote:
Most offroad tracks are more tyre reliant than power. On bumpier tracks you simply can't pin it everywhere (with carpet and a few others being the exception)

When are some clubs going to be innovative enough to start a 17.5t class then? There's enough discussion going on to make it appealing

Mendip R/C Raceway - Offroad Racing in South-West
WORM-Racing - GT12 Racing in the South-West

Last edited by Danosborne6661; 07-02-2020 at 04:56 PM.
Old 07-02-2020

I have been told at some of the carpet events the drivers are using brand new cactus tyres for every run. I spoke with a factory Schumacher driver who insisted that they need to do this to be competitive at the high level they race at and the tryes after only one run are worn enough to not be on the pace with new tyres. Surely if this is true it puts the people who can't afford to do this on the back foot from the start. Admittedly driving skill is key here but that aside it means the drivers who cannot afford to do this are at a disadvantage straight away. Now I know that different people feel differently about the issue of cost of tyres and the cost of the hobby in general but I think this tyre cost subject is a really something that needs to be addressed. Limiting the amount of tyres per meeting is a option as mentioned before but I am keen to hear other views on this. This hobby certainly is not cheap but in my view something should be put in place to limit the cost of the tyres per meeting to keep people interested.

Last edited by adey; 07-02-2020 at 05:31 PM.
Old 07-02-2020

At Batley Buggy Club running at MB Raceway full carpet track, for the Winter points series, drivers are allowed only one set of Cactus tyres per meeting...that
keeps the cost down and seems to work well. On the other hand, a 13.5t class was proposed and introduced.. I think it's good but only, perhaps , 6 out of 50 drivers run them...! As said above, most drivers appear to want to go as fast as possible.!
York off road club run various classes including 20t brushed and 17.5t brushless, but on a mixed surface and is quite popular.. I've run a Top Force with 17.5t , and on that surface is great..
I think that the modern trend of full carpet tracks with massive grip, just encourages the "go fast" brigade..
Team Associated B4.2
RC10 Worlds
Old 07-02-2020
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

few things
A)We don't actually have that many racers in the uk compared to say the USA, this means you normally find its the same people doing all classes 2wd,4wd,shortcourse,truck 8th etc which is why so many classes just don't get the support as racers don't want to spread their budget to thin and just don't have the time
B)most racers will sell there right arm to go fast! and they're not particular interested in anything designed to slow things down.
C) 17.5 etc on most uk high grip tracks would be like slot car racing, that would mean its all about car/batterys tyres etc thus ending up riddled with rules. This in the end will probably cost more than just running a normal buggy .
D) I agree it would be nice to see a rule limiting the number of sets of tyres used rather than just the type of tyre but policing it is a nightmare and I can think of one uk manufacturer that would be less than keen on it being an idea that would take off

Just my point of view on the matter, not wanting to stir anyone up

www.norfolkbuggyclub.moonfruit.com

kyosho optima,Bosscat,Boomerang,,RB5 Vega,RB7,,RC12 5.2, TLR22-4,MP9,HB807T
Flask of tea & a rollup
Anglia model centre & CT Models
http://www.oople.com/forums/showthread.php?t=28117

Last edited by racingdwarf; 07-02-2020 at 06:38 PM.
Old 07-02-2020
Mad Member

If you see what most people running 17.5 or 13.5 in the States spend on making their cars competitive, I think I’ll stick to buying tyres.
Old 07-02-2020

Default stock v mod

take a real good look a the US's stock classes and actually sit down and cost up a stock class buggy you will find that there is far more money invested in a stock buggy than a mod buggy. you will always get those who want that edge in racing so will spend spend spend to gain that extra bit of speed not every motor is the same so those with the money will go out buy a box full of motors find the best out of the batch and throw it in there 2wd/4wd buggy same with batteries. So it would not bring down the cost of racing it would increase it to be competitive hence why no club and the brca have not introduced the stock class racing it simply does not bring down costs the only way to bring down costs and in a way even the playing field is for a set number of tyres to be allowed at all brca ifmar events but will it happen no because of the one thing and that is factory drivers and factories that support these events want there drivers to be the ones on the top step.
Old 07-02-2020
Spends too long on oOple ...

Send a message via MSN to mark christopher

Quote:
this exactly, any class that has more grip than power turns into a motor and lipo war. done many and its always the same.

Last edited by mark christopher; 07-02-2020 at 07:24 PM.
Old 07-02-2020

if you want to run a slower motor to go faster, you can buy one bolt it in the current buggy rules allow that.

there is a place for stock racing, but here is also a cost, cars being made lighter, direct drive kits to loose slippers and free up rotating mass.
Old 07-02-2020

You only make a car lighter once...... You buy tyres all year round 🤔
Old 07-02-2020

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarlowS View Post
You only make a car lighter once...... You buy tyres all year round ��
and the latest motors on release and fresh lipo every few months to keep max volts.

as i said, raced many stock classes allways the same result, and you will still end up putting fresh tyes on as the top guys will!

Last edited by mark christopher; 07-02-2020 at 07:57 PM.