Go Back   oOple.com Forums > Car Talk > Yokomo

Old 02-04-2015

My diff felt a little notchy as they all tend to until they have been run in a bit. Probably be a good idea to give it a run Sunday and then replace the oil for your next meeting. For me I think 5k is spot on ran it with that inside on slippy floor and felt really good. Then equally as good on astro and carpet both really high grip.

HTH
Chris
Old 03-04-2015

Just finished building my Yz-2, haven't ran it yet but kit setup seems very soft is it worth stiffening it up do you think?
Thanks Callum
Old 03-04-2015
Mad Member

Depends what your running on. Im on med grip carpet so went pretty stiff and the car now just corners flat and grips very well, im not too talented so there is more to come, last time out i ran black front and purple rear Yatabe springs, and it was very good, i have ordered a lot of bits to try out some of Lee Martins set ups, just because im curious haha.
In fact i just got done polishing the rear brass weighted hangers, so going to try them too, along with the Bmax 4 arms.

lee
Old 03-04-2015

Yeah compared to my KF feels very soft but will try it first, I will trying it tomorrow on medium grip carpet with wooden jumps
Old 05-04-2015

Gave the YZ-2 its first outing yesterday and all i can is WOW! It was kit setup except from Core rc 450cst all round. I was Two laps faster in qualifying than i was with my KF.
I took TQ and the win lapping everyone in the final, Absolutely brilliant car didn't have any problems with it all day which was nice, as you do sometimes get a few problems with a new kit!

Going to try the Yatabe springs and some weight next just out of curiosity!

Callum
Old 05-04-2015
Mad Member

LIKE haha.

Im out again friday with mine. Trialling the Bmax 4 rear arms and max 2 shaft option, and softening the front up a tad, just waiting one some more springs from LMR, may even try 4WD this week with another killer Yokomo, my YZ10 haha.

lee
Old 05-04-2015

What are the bmax arms and shaft supposed to do then?
Old 05-04-2015
Mad Member

Apparently allow increased grip with less grip roll, thought id at least give it a go Callum, im not exactly blinding fast so ive nothing to lose haha, but this car has helped me improve so much of late, you really can throw it into corners at stupid speeds, and it just sticks, but i did have a few traction roll moments as the tyres came up, so want to try a few options.

lee
Old 05-04-2015

Excuse the video for some reason its the wrong way lol!
This is me giving the Yz-2 a run after the racing had finished. https://youtu.be/UqCubRCl114
Old 05-04-2015

Ive sorted it now!
Old 05-04-2015

First meeting today at Bury Metro with Yz-2 and came away very happy.

Made a lot of changes through the day culminating in 4th in the A final behind Craig Collinson, Paul Crompton and Stu Wood.

Track was greasy to begin with so went to 3.5degree toe and stood shocks up to the middle hole on front and rear towers and the car was very good with 5k diff oil and shocks on the front of rear wishbone.

As the day progressed the track got very grippy and grabby so was struggling with grip roll on an off camber sweeper. Adding some weight and laying shocks back down to stock positions helps here although the car was a little edgy.

For the final I switched to yellow minispikes on the rear (been using BB whites) and car rotated much better through the sweepers.

All in all was very happy with it's first outing. Worth noting is that I ran AE springs, Red front and green rear as the car felt far more predictable

Chris
Old 06-04-2015
Mad Member

So how many people are running AE springs over the others?
Old 06-04-2015
Mad Member

I run AE springs on my cars but the problem is the tears are a bit soft.

I now have a few sets of the Yatabe springs.

Only reason I still use the AE springs is I have 2 full sets.
Reedy

My feedback
http://www.oople.com/forums/showthread.php?t=63097
Old 06-04-2015
Mad Member

And the Yatabe are sold out most places lol, even LMR were waiting on my order haha!
Old 06-04-2015

Exactly,

I simply used the AE springs as that's what I have and the standard kit springs I felt were far too soft.

May go up a spring rate all round next time to make the car feel a bit more stable.

Chris
Old 06-04-2015
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

Quote:
Originally Posted by gazhillAE View Post
So how many people are running AE springs over the others?
The rear AE are generally too light. People are using them as they have them, and not full sets of yatabe or YZ-2 springs.
I've a full set of each, and the AE stay in my box.
10electric | Batley Buggy Club | YORCC | RHR | MB Models
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Old 06-04-2015

I'm unsure how you feel the AE springs are too soft For the Yz-2 Neil? They seem fine for other car's? Track conditions also play a part as very few of the UK astro tracks are as high grip as the Yatabe Arena where I assume the car was developed. Bury for example has lots of ripply bumps and areas where the grip is actually quite low so setup needs to be altered to compensate.

I do intend to run Yatabe Springs eventually but just wanted to share my experiences running AE springs as people may want to try it for themselves.

Chris
Old 06-04-2015
No trade access

I ran a mix of stock springs and Kyosho Xgears I got at hand but tried some Yatabé springs and like them a lot on the YZ
Old 06-04-2015

Only had 1 problem with the car my diff leaks happened saturday diff empty and sunday never had a problem with yokomo diffs in the past doing this fitted a new gasket and looks as if the newer gasket is a fraction bigger.
Wont know till sunday if all is good....
Just a heads up
Lrp
Eds
Sworkz 35-4n
Alpha dragon
Old 06-04-2015
Mad Member

[QUOTE=Chris Elworthy;907206]I'm unsure how you feel the AE springs are too soft For the Yz-2 Neil? They seem fine for other car's? Track conditions also play a part as very few of the UK astro tracks are as high grip as the Yatabe Arena where I assume the car was developed. Bury for example has lots of ripply bumps and areas where the grip is actually quite low so setup needs to be altered to compensate.

It's the rears that tend to the problem. The stiffest rear AE spring is the yellow which is only 2.40.

I tend to find the rear just collapses with the softer spring.
Reedy

My feedback
http://www.oople.com/forums/showthread.php?t=63097