Go Back   oOple.com Forums > Events & Venues > BRCA Nationals & Regionals > Mid West

Old 12-10-2012

Default Keep 2nd December free for Kidderminster event.

Kidderminster and Worcester Model Car Clubs are holding another off-road event on 2nd December.

No event details as yet (I'm going to Japan for 2 weeks on Wednesday and will sort details when I get back). Of course we could run it the same as the previous two events which were highly successful but are thinking about making this one a bit different if there is demand.

Our thoughts at the moment are to run the day as a 2.4 hour (1/10th scale 24 hour) team endurance race with teams of mixed ability drivers working together driving one at a time to get as many laps done as possible in the time. The team with the highest combined number of laps wins the day.

Does this sound like something people would be interested in?

Please suggest ideas that would make it more appealing if this doesn't sound like your thing in it's current format.
Old 12-10-2012

Bagsey Tom in my team!! Lol

Sounds a good idea. My thoughts are maybe run 10 minute slots with a 2 min change over to allow safe Marshall change. Then 4 in a team, 4 runs each??
Not sure what would happen if someone broke though with that format.

Also how about handicapping?
Maybe all laps an f5 does count. Then f4 95%, f3 90%, f2 85% & f1 80%.
Not sure how you would administrate it all though.
Old 12-10-2012

Send a message via MSN to jasonrcb

Well i guess it could fun depending on how its organised and sorted out.

I would certainly be alot more interested in more club meetings,which would continue the great work you have already done in building the club back up.
Old 12-10-2012

Sounds like fun but i'd avoid making it too complicated, mixed ability teams and all laps count seems better to me and won't need a rocket surgeon to work it out at the end!

Also just keep it open within the time of 2.4 hours, split the driving time how you want to within the team - if it's teams of 4 is it possible within the timing software to allocate all 4 people's cars/transponders to the same team? Keep an eye on things but leave it to people's honesty not to run two cars on the same lap - then each person could still use their own car - one pits, the next person sets off, meaning that someone's personal car isn't getting battered for the full race, and if you do have a breakage, once the car is recovered to the pits the next person can set off...

Also, each team could have at least one marshall on track at all times - that could be the team's own marshall point for the whole duration so easy to spot if they are not there - few laps penalty maybe?? All in the spirit of a good laugh of course, which is what this should be about

Sounds cool
Old 13-10-2012
Mad Member

Adam,

We ran a similar format at Oswestry and it worked OK.

We had the same number of marshal points as we had teams.. you started marshaling your own point and then every 20 minutes you rotated one point. Your team HAD to man the marshal point at all times else you got a penalty.

The TRUST thing.. this did work most of the time but we did have issues where teams would run two cars at the same time.. it was very naughty. The only way around it in my view is to have a ref on the rostrum at all times.. and maybe a baton for each team that has to be physically swapped over at the bottom of the stairs.. otherwise people WILL cheat.

Other than that it worked well and was great fun. Deciding the teams is difficult. I used to think that having mixed ability teams was the best thing to do and this is what we did at Oswestry.. but I think it is more fun to choose your own teams. Mixed ability does tend to leave the worst driver think he is letting the team down and will take the car off sooner to help the team.. As an F4 driver I would prefer to be in a team with F4 and F3 drivers and come 5th than be put in a team with F1 and F2 drivers and have us come 2nd because of me....

Whatever you decide to do I will be there anyway!

N

N
Old 14-10-2012

It sounds really cool - my suggestion would be that each team only had one car. Now I know that's fine me saying that, but I would suggest it because a) there is no risk of cheating with multi-car lapping and b) team camaraderie is stronger for it.

It may be helpful for the F1 guys to use a (no disrespect) lesser standard racer's car to help them get it tuned in etc. in the longer term. 2.4 hrs racing is not a particualrly big ask on equipment, and you could always build in tactical "cooling down breaks" but in December, temp will be low, track will be slick, you will be generating very little heat because you will lap slower. Make 2wd the compulsory class too.

What could also be good is, ask a tyre manufacturer to sponsor the event, each team gets given 1 set of tyres 20 mins before the 2.4 hrs begins, they mount them up, glue them on, use the tyres for the remainder of the event. Could get an insert sponsor on the case too because then everyone is level.

As for your teams, 4 members, minimum combined formula of 12. So you could have 2 x F1 drivers in a team, but they would have to be accompanied by 2 x F5's. you could of course have more than 12, but 12 would be the minimum.

Let's do it!
Old 14-10-2012

One other thing - 2.4hrs does seem a bit short. Maybe we could do 2.4hrs with a 2wd car, then 2.4hrs with a 4wd car, track in the opposite direction? Then you have done 2 & 4 to keep up the 24 theme .

However, I appreciate that my suggestions are placing great onus on individuals letting their equipment be pounded around the track for prolonged periods but just ideas.
Old 14-10-2012

12 points for teams seems a good idea. Maybe draw the teams out if a hat??

You could always have just one registered transponder. Then you would have to change it between cars. Would mean no ones car gets really battered. However I do like the idea of one set of tyres for the entire session.
Old 15-10-2012
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

The problem with one car is that everybody likes something different handling wise ... what is an understeering pig for somebody might be an oversteering mess for others!

I personally would prefer a standard race meeting where I could work on setup for my own cars but that is just me, always been a misserible sod.
Old 15-10-2012

i'll second what Roger said......... He is indeed a miserable sod
Old 15-10-2012

STUART!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 15-10-2012

I'll 2nd what Stuart said. Lol

Rog, its a fun race. No setup work required. We will sort you out with a tamiya grasshopper (or kyosho sandmaster ) and silver can motor so you can just drive it around and enjoy the day
Old 15-10-2012

Ok, had a really bizzare idea.

1) run a normal club meeting. four rounds and a final with round by round qualifying.

2) At the beginning of the day. Drivers briefing. Draw teams of 4 out of the hat using seeded pots. So one from each F1/F2, F3, F4 & F5. Dependant on numbers. Some may want to opt out ;( or you could do a £1 in from each driver and the winning team gets a prize??

3) For the 4 rounds of qualifying (Ignore the final) add together the number of laps completed plus the time over 300s. So that way if Jonny F1, who qualified for the A on round by round, did 2 rounds of 13 laps, a 9 lap and a 2 lap. Total would be 37 laps + whatever extra time. that would then be added to the team score. Then Bob F5 newstarter did 4 rounds all of 10 laps. So that would be 40 laps to add to the team score. All team members added together for total laps and in the event of a tie the timings come into play.

That way every round would actually have a meaning on the team scores and (you would hope) people wouldn't just pull off if they were having a bad run. You can include 2wd, 4wd, sct, rallycross and even Roger

Not quite as manic as a 2.4 hour race but gives a bit of a different dimension to the day.
It may need a bit of admin but if you don't include finals in the overall team stuff there should be time to work it out.
Old 16-10-2012
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarlowS View Post
i'll second what Roger said......... He is indeed a miserable sod
Old 16-10-2012

Well i was only saying what you were thinking

I think it could be a good laugh, have allways wanted to do a team / endurance event, keep meaning to plan something at Coventry for years but never got round to it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonrcb View Post
STUART!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 16-10-2012

I also totally agree with you on this one.......... Its totally Bizarre !!!

lol Stick with an endurance

Quote:
Originally Posted by adon30 View Post
Ok, had a really bizzare idea.

1) run a normal club meeting. four rounds and a final with round by round qualifying.

2) At the beginning of the day. Drivers briefing. Draw teams of 4 out of the hat using seeded pots. So one from each F1/F2, F3, F4 & F5. Dependant on numbers. Some may want to opt out ;( or you could do a £1 in from each driver and the winning team gets a prize??

3) For the 4 rounds of qualifying (Ignore the final) add together the number of laps completed plus the time over 300s. So that way if Jonny F1, who qualified for the A on round by round, did 2 rounds of 13 laps, a 9 lap and a 2 lap. Total would be 37 laps + whatever extra time. that would then be added to the team score. Then Bob F5 newstarter did 4 rounds all of 10 laps. So that would be 40 laps to add to the team score. All team members added together for total laps and in the event of a tie the timings come into play.

That way every round would actually have a meaning on the team scores and (you would hope) people wouldn't just pull off if they were having a bad run. You can include 2wd, 4wd, sct, rallycross and even Roger

Not quite as manic as a 2.4 hour race but gives a bit of a different dimension to the day.
It may need a bit of admin but if you don't include finals in the overall team stuff there should be time to work it out.
Old 16-10-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarlowS View Post
I also totally agree with you on this one.......... Its totally Bizarre !!!

lol Stick with an endurance
It was bizarre. Knew you'd like it

I'm happy with either. Never done an endurance event so would be fun. However some people seem keen on the club format. Best bet is to just thrash out an idea and some rules and say that's what will be running. I'll leave the decision with the organisers.
Old 28-11-2012

Any news on whether your holding another club meeting this sunday
Old 29-11-2012
Mad Member

Default Me To

+1 any news
Old 29-11-2012

Just seen on the FB page that the meeting planned for Sunday is postponed until the new year.