Go Back   oOple.com Forums > General > Multicopters & Flight

Old 04-08-2013

I'm still doing research on this topic and have been looking at a Hex. Not sure whether to play safe, spend a bit extra and go for a DJI 550 based around a Naza GPS with a DEVO 7 (Walkera) radio or a 550 Clone based on an APM 2.5/9 with a Turnigy 9x radio ??

My budget is no more than £550 RTF and I notice that Helipal are now offering a storm drone 6 GPS within my budget completely setup/balanced and RTF out the box.

Not sure if an APM system would be too difficult to start with ? I've heard that there are more features like Autopilot but would require alot more undertanding and tinkering to get the best out of it.

Looked again closely at the DJI Phantom, but I'm just not convinced, I think I would rather have something that is more upgradable.

the helipal storm drone 6 GPS at the moment is what I'm considering

http://www.helipal.com/storm-drone-6...-platform.html

does anyone know of any UK based people/companies who build and setup these machines to order ?

Thanks
Raymond
Old 04-08-2013
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

Hi mate.

Can you already fly a quad?
Can you build it yourself?

If you can - do both, then buying parts will be much cheaper. The Uk shops I have looked at charge lots for ready to fly 450 / 550's etc.

I'd skip the Phantom if you like to tinker and plan to add more to the quad.

Storm Drone Hex looks nice - i'd skip the Storm Drone Quad though - it's an upside down 450!

There are too many choices - what I have learnt is this stuff is like the Buggies - buy cheap, but twice, or three times and in the end you end up buying what you should have bought to begin with!

If you go down the Hobbyking KK2 route, it's much, much cheaper and you won't feel bad about crashing it or loosing it!

I started with a 330, then I got a 450 to use with a Go Pro. Tried a few cheap Gimbals and realised you need to buy a decent brushless gimbal to get decent footage as well as a well balanced machine. I've quickly realised the 450 isn't going to cut it for video as I want really stable footage - so i'm building a 550 and going to add a Tarot Gimbal. If that doesn't work i'll sack it all off and just fly my 330 for fun as it's a blast

Good luck deciding.

Custom Painted Bodyshells by me ! www.shillyshells.co.uk

http://www.shillyshells.co.uk
Old 04-08-2013

I just couldn't resist the urge!

Following this flight part of oOple has lead to a drained bank account and several neglected cars left wanting parts. Hobbyking got raided and I now have my own 450 quad

I've done hardly any flying up to now but i really fancy a go at some aerial filming and hopefully some FPV. Anyway this is my creation, finished the build and setup today but now waiting for some calmer wind conditions to go and give it a fly. Looking forward to it!

Old 05-08-2013
Awesome Admin

Send a message via AIM to Col

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdamBurgess View Post
I just couldn't resist the urge!
Old 05-08-2013
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

Nice one Adam

It's addictive.
Make sure you have auto level on for your first flights - much easier to fly.

Let us know how you get on.

Old 05-08-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by andys View Post
Hi mate.

Can you already fly a quad?
Can you build it yourself?

If you can - do both, then buying parts will be much cheaper. The Uk shops I have looked at charge lots for ready to fly 450 / 550's etc.

I'd skip the Phantom if you like to tinker and plan to add more to the quad.

Storm Drone Hex looks nice - i'd skip the Storm Drone Quad though - it's an upside down 450!

There are too many choices - what I have learnt is this stuff is like the Buggies - buy cheap, but twice, or three times and in the end you end up buying what you should have bought to begin with!

If you go down the Hobbyking KK2 route, it's much, much cheaper and you won't feel bad about crashing it or loosing it!

I started with a 330, then I got a 450 to use with a Go Pro. Tried a few cheap Gimbals and realised you need to buy a decent brushless gimbal to get decent footage as well as a well balanced machine. I've quickly realised the 450 isn't going to cut it for video as I want really stable footage - so i'm building a 550 and going to add a Tarot Gimbal. If that doesn't work i'll sack it all off and just fly my 330 for fun as it's a blast

Good luck deciding.
thanks Andy for the info.

I have no flown a quad or hex before, as for the build, it does look fairly straight forward and I'm good with a soldering iron, however the part that concerns me isn't the actual build but the setup of the radio and flight controller, I think at this point I'd be lost.

Still looking at a RTF setup, hopefully based around a 550. I haven't looked into the KK from Hobbywing, so I'll do that tonight and see how this stacks up against the naza and APM options.

Thanks
Raymond
Old 06-08-2013

I didn't realise you were building one of these Adam! - No wonder you have no money for going buggy racing Lol!

Perhaps you ought to wait for Rich to get back to give it it's 1st test flight - I hear he's pretty handy with flying things?

Personally, although I find these things very impressive (& I like the idea of the FPV side of things) I prefer my planes to have wings
+ too many vintage racers to list!
Old 06-08-2013
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

Quote:
Originally Posted by raymondkerr View Post
thanks Andy for the info.

Still looking at a RTF setup, hopefully based around a 550. I haven't looked into the KK from Hobbywing, so I'll do that tonight and see how this stacks up against the naza and APM options.

Thanks
Raymond
Don't worry - its a lot easier than you'd think. If you build it / set it up following guides on-line and get the motors spinning in the right directions it's hard to do much wrong.

The KK2 is a breeze to set up as it has the on screen lcd so you can see what's what re the radio inputs working correctly. You can do all this with everything connected (the props off for safety) and when you are confident it's all ok - put the props on and fly it

I can't speak for other flight controllers as I don't have experience of them - but I guess they are all similar. KK2's lcd screen means you don't have to keep connecting it to a PC though.

I had a few issues with my crazy all in one esc - but once i'd re wired it - the Quad flew perfectly straight away.

Old 06-08-2013

This is the reason my TC5 is still waiting for some new out-drives Dan! lol

Took it for a brief fly tonight, still too windy to be honest but I just HAD to have a go. Took it very easy and was more nervous than i've been in a very long time time but it went ok. Just flew gently back and forth trying to get a feel for the controls, again very tricky with the wind but did ok. Judging orientation was a bit tricky at certain angles so im certainly considering some LED's and maybe even a bright foam ball to help spot which way its going. It ended when a gust got hold of it and took it over the next field, spent a few seconds trying judge which way it was facing but decided it was better to bring it down where it was. Fortunately it was over a corn field which helped it survive the landing which albeit a level landing was a bit too quick. As it hadn't gone too far away I was able to walk to the general landing site and the use the ARM/DISARM beep to locate it. Not ideal so i think the next move is to perhaps mount a voltage alarm to a spare channel so I can trigger it if I need help locating again, this is where the Naza's GPS return to home would be invaluable!

Great fun tho
Old 06-08-2013
Awesome Admin

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...arehouse_.html

Quote:
Signal loss Alarm & Lost Plane Finder, simple device that plugs into any servo/rx port, will detect the loss of TX signal and emit a loud 85dB alarm. Ideal for warning you if you have not turned off your RX power supply while in the pits, or if you are having trouble finding a model in the long grass, simply turn off your TX and within a minute, the alarm will sound!
Old 14-08-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by raymondkerr View Post
Thanks for the info guys. I had previously looked at the phantom but wasn't keen on its looks, but will give it some more thought.
The Blade 350 QX is out in a few weeks and comes complete with a gopro mount.

Also SAFE mode (return home, position and height holding and a number of other flying aids to stop you crashing!)

Cheaper version of the Phantom (£270 BNF, £319 RTF)

Looks good!
Old 18-08-2013

Just fitted my Phantom with a distressed carbon fibre effect skin ! Think it looks quite cool !
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (386.9 KB, 24 views)
KO Propo Espirit 4 stick radio

Dji Mavic Air2S
All round gadget freak !
Old 18-08-2013
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

Build No 3 in progress.

Part 1 - the landing gear - done

Old 18-08-2013

Looking cool Andy !

Is this your third different machine , or third rebuild with existing components ??

Went flying again this morning , very windy , again !!
Phantom was okay and the footage was satisfactory !

The more I look at these threads the more I realise how much I'd like to upgrade from my phantom !!
I'm glad it didn't cost me anything in the first instance , it's amazing how quickly you outgrow things !!

In the meantime Andy , I see you've experimented with gimbals , was wondering if you fancy selling any that would fit my phantom as my GoPro is hard mounted at present with a small piece of Sorbathane sandwiched between the mount and the quad , works well , no jello but I want to upgrade !

Agghhhhhh more money ! These things are more addictive than cars !

Dji Mavic Air2S
All round gadget freak !
Old 18-08-2013
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

Hi Graham.

Re Gimbals - I currently am using the HobbyKing one that uses servos. It works really well at keeping the horizon and the camera level, what i've struggled with is very slight vibrations. Not really Jello, i've got rid of that problem by 'hard-ish' mounting the camera / gimbal and using some rubber stand off vibration mounts.

With the slight vibrations, my worry is that even with a brushless gimbal setup, I may still not get a non rock solid image. I'm currently running Sunnysky motors and RC Timer Carbon Props which are balanced on a proper balancer - which helps massively

The video is great after I run it though After Effects warp stabilizer and i'm almost happy with it. That said I don't want to but a £300 GoPro Black and a £100 ish brushless gimbal and it not be lots, lots better !!

So - I'm building a 550 frame, with 6 x Sunnysky motors and carbon props. I've gone for the Aeroxcraft landing gear as it looks like the best one out there for mounting a gimbal. Probably going to go Naza Lite with it too, then put on my current servo gimbal and see if it's more stable / better than on my KK2 450. If it's good i'll stick - if not it's then Tarot Brushless Gimbal ismy last hope. If that fails, i'm sacking it off and flying for fun without a camera !

And yes - this is my 3rd build, started with a 330, then a 450, now building a 550. I contemplated a bigger Quad, but everything I have read says the 550 is more suited to video as it's more stable. Hopefully that will be the case

Old 18-08-2013

Thanks for the info Andy , I might just keep with what I've got & look to upgrade the gimbal arrangement if I decide to upgrade my quad too !

Saw a friend of mine in tescos last night who works for a filming company here in Suffolk , he's a pro 3D heli flyer & now flies a octocopter for Doozee!

Check this out !

http://vimeo.com/m/71245794

He's the one sat on the back of the convertible car !

Dji Mavic Air2S
All round gadget freak !
Old 20-08-2013
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

Oops.

Spot the mistakes made today...

Found that the 450 with 10inch props can't fly / skim the ground like the 330 can! Scared me to death as I took the ends off 2 props - obviously as it was so close to the ground, no other damage.

330 - just got a bit all over the place as i'm trying to fly more aggressively. It took a beating before finally a barrel roll killed an arm.

Also - flew for a while on 1.6++ which is hairy at full tilt, sideways sweeping across the ground with the quad at around 60 or 70 degrees sideways.

Flying these things on a Naza, or even a KK2 with 'soft' settings and self level on is quite easy. Flying 'properly' is a whole different beast. I think that after today, it's going to take some time to master this....

Old 20-08-2013
Awesome Admin

You're probably aware of it, but you know if you turn mixing off on 1.6++ it's exactly the same as std self level?
It seems really boring after having mixing on, though!
Old 20-08-2013
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

Yeah Col.

Had a good play with the mixing - but on the 330 not the 450.

I needed to go down to 20 on stick scaling as it was nuts!

I know what you mean about it being boring flying normally - its a different ball game this acro mode. At least with 1.6++ it levels when your centre the sticks - I've no idea how I'd fly it if this didn't happen - I'm a long way off full acro flying !

Old 20-08-2013
Awesome Admin

The recommended way is to leave stick scaling as is, and add expo on the tx. Haven't flown enough to comment on which is best - my 450 is in a box in the garage in exactly the same state as the last photo!