Go Back   oOple.com Forums > Car Talk > Mardave

Old 13-12-2013

Default tyre knowledge needed

I am coming back to mardave racing and was interested to know back in that days that mardave used to only have two compounds of tyres (soft and hard) does anyone now if the hard tyres are still made or if anyone knows what shore rating they are?

thanks
Old 13-12-2013

The good news, and bad news, is that there are now many compounds available under the Mardave brand.

What surface/track are you racing? For circuit racing, Pink Medium (V54P) are best for the rear. Apply full width additive and you are good to go. I have not raced oval for a few years but the pinks should also be good for there too. Other popular alternatives were the SE compound last time I raced oval.

Fronts are far more open, as far as choice goes, and are a very good way of tuning your setup. The softest popular fronts are the JAP mediums. These will give a LOT of front grip but can be good on high speed, high grip tracks when you run them at extremely small diameters and can drive with only a little steering lock. The rest of the JAP range are graded in shore ratings - 38 is the lowest I think and they go up to 52. Softer fronts give a more progressive corner entry but more total grip; harder shores give a more twitchy initial reaction to steering input but then tend to push on. For me, on circuits, my choice is 46 shore.

As well as compounds, tire diameter and additive application are also extremely important. Larger tire diameters give more sideways grip (due to the side wall flex) but can be prone to grip roll if the side wall rolls under in extreme cornering. Conversely, smaller diameters give less overall grip and can be used to reduce grip roll, especially if the sidewalls are coated in super glue as well.

General thinking is to run the fronts smaller in diameter than the rears. I usually start my rears at about 49mm diameter and my fronts 47mm.

Hope this helps a bit,

James
Old 14-12-2013
Spends too long on oOple ...

Send a message via MSN to mark christopher

Also contact tyres are more popular now and have a good range, available from any model shop that deals with Schumacher so plenty of places to buy. Which class are you racing? Most popular is 35/37 rear and 47/50 front
Old 14-12-2013
Mad Member

Er... I think that should read 35/37 rear...!
Old 14-12-2013
Spends too long on oOple ...

Send a message via MSN to mark christopher

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlowOne View Post
Er... I think that should read 35/37 rear...!
doh, editied!!
Old 14-12-2013

well im circuit racing I tried racing my mardave a year ago but only went a 3 times and I was running Pink Medium on the rear and found some very old mardave tyres when I first raced the car over 15 years ago and it worked very well.
thanks for the advice
just a couple more questions are the Pink Medium that same as contact tyres 35 or 37?
I would like to have the same make of tyre all round if possible but not a big deal if that's a bad idea
I would like a tyre that has little grip at high speed but have grip on the low speed and no grip roll.
is going for a shore rating of 50 is a good idea?