Go Back   oOple.com Forums > General > General Race Chat

Old 20-04-2016
Mad Member

Default Lack of clubs using Oople?

Hi all
Is it just me or are the club sections very quiet and not getting used as much as previously???

Is everyone using Facebook???

Having a firm Hatred for Facebook Im finding it harder to get upto date info on racing and whats going on. Oople being my main source of info I find this unfortunate as this is a RC dedicated forum.

I hope im not alone in this boat.
Old 20-04-2016

You are not alone. I too hate Facebook and all social media sites.
But I am noticing that questions go in answered in the club sections.
Old 20-04-2016

I agree...! I only use Facebook reluctantly via my wife's account...don't want one myself,....yet most of my club info is now on Facebook and very little on Oople, which , as you say, is the correct RC forum..
Also, quite a number of Traders don't seem to be using Oople so much these days..😩
As per the old saying.."if you don't use it you'll lose it" and that would be incredibly sad....
Team Associated B4.2
RC10 Worlds
Old 20-04-2016
Mad Member

Send a message via MSN to danDanEFC

Maybe have a word with your clubs? Do they have a public relations person?

As a club we try to cover all bases forums/oOple/FB we even txt a few of our less techie members.
Old 20-04-2016
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

We always try to post in our club section every week, but that seems to be for the benefit of only a couple of members (who don't use fb) these days as everyone else seems to prefer Facebook.

I wonder if it's because 'everyone' has the Facebook app so they don't visit websites on their mobile devices?
Old 21-04-2016

Location: on the bike, so probly at a petrol station or at side of road bodging

I'm the only person I know that dosent have a facerot account.
-Ansmann master smacker (in bits)

-handmade 1/12 scale lorry (in bits)
-handmade 1/87 RC lorry

-1992 honda transalp (£700 bike, but that's ok as its a big V-twin)

Old 21-04-2016
Mad Member

i ended up having to get a FB account as lots of stuff seemed to be going on there rather than here. Didn't want one though.
All I seem to do now is get friend requests from people who don't seem to know different between "would have" and "would of" and don't even get me started on they're there and their...
That probably says more about the people I know rather than facebook though.
Back on topic...
I still use Oople all the time

Yokomo YZ-2

No 4WD because nothing lives up to my original Optima. Until now maybe?...
Old 21-04-2016

Interesting read from the current issue of RACER mag..................

Old 21-04-2016

For SHRCCC I try to keep OOPLE as up to date as possible however I post many times, it gets view but no responses. Whereas the same post on FB will get acceptances to invites, comments, banter etc and that's what really builds clubs.

OOPLE is great as a source of information at times, I used it myself on the Electrics page only the other day and got the response I needed but discounting FB is the wrong way. FB is faster, brings more awareness and keeps the club chatting
Every Thursday evening from 6:30pm and alternate Sundays.

Check out http://shrccc.co.uk
Follow us on:

Facebook - Surrey and Hants Radio Control Car Club
Twitter - @surreyhantsrc
Old 21-04-2016
Spends too long on oOple ...

Send a message via MSN to mark christopher

Quote:
Originally Posted by bretts View Post
Interesting read from the current issue of RACER mag..................

Reading that makes me think of one man as the author, Peter Winton...
Old 21-04-2016
Mad Member

Default Facebook

Don't get me wrong on this to an extent Facebook is a great way of getting the message to people who otherwise wouldn't see the sport, my hatred for it is personal.

It is the lack of updating on oople etc that gets me, SHRCCC for one as Chris said do keep upto date on most things on both media Facebook and Oople, if they do it, it can't be hard for all to do it.
Old 21-04-2016

CMCC are trying to use all forms of media. Its true that Facetube does seem to get more response to posts. But i'll continue to update on here.
Old 21-04-2016
Mad Member

Quite right Sam, cannot take long to add a post on oOple in a club/area section, possibly just a cut and paste job anyway. oOple is much more responsive now and a pleasure to use again, why wouldn't you use it.
Old 21-04-2016
Mad Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCJC View Post
Quite right Sam, cannot take long to add a post on oOple in a club/area section, possibly just a cut and paste job anyway. oOple is much more responsive now and a pleasure to use again, why wouldn't you use it.

Totally Oople
Jimmy built an awsome place and now it has been tweaked to perfection

Thanks to all involved with the enhancments

Last edited by Zippy G; 21-04-2016 at 02:50 PM.
Old 21-04-2016
Super Moderator

It is the intention of the trustees at oOple to carry on with the forum to the best of their abilities.

The loss of Jimmy who basically spent every waking hour developing the forum and its content producing great reports and kit reviews means that we are finding it difficult to replicate his mammoth input.

I'm sure in time we will start to build the content again and we have plans to report on the 2016 oOple Series with the help of some forum members.

Sadly it all takes time and we all have full time jobs and lives.

Jimmy's life was oOple and its our duty to carry on his legacy to the best of our abilities.

Social media will develop in its own way and the forums will still be around, people will vote with their feet as to what is the best way of communicating.

BRITISH NATIONAL 4WD VETERAN CHAMPION 2012
BRITISH NATIONAL SERIES 4WD VETERAN CHAMPION 2013

Old 21-04-2016

I'm still young so it's probably no surprise I balance my RC chat between forums and Facebook, but even for those who don't want to use any other kinds of social media, you have to admit they're a very handy tool when used correctly - using it correctly being the key.

Forums might be good for people who are already involved in the sport, but that's a tiny percentage of people. Facebook is a platform for absolutely anything you have an interest in - and for the majority of people, it's much easier to log into Facebook and get any important information about their local clubs than it is to go onto a dedicated forum. I have helped more people with their cars and had more in-depth discussions through other forms of social media than I ever could do on a forum, and it's simply due to the amount of people who use it.

In terms of attracting new people to RC racing, I think a wide social media presence of the racing community is literally the only feasible way of going about things. Take for example RedRC's video of one of the 4wd legs from round 2 of the EOS, which managed to go viral on Facebook - it must have easily had a few million views by now, and instead of the usual "how sad is this" comments, I was really encouraged to see that virtually every comment was a positive one. There were quite a few people who were genuinely interested to find out more - granted, a fair bit of the interest from outsiders will always be the novelty value of watching RC cars being raced professionally, but that's always going to happen until it can break through as a more mainstream motorsport discipline (it's hard to say if/when that'll happen, but I do believe it's possible).

I don't think anyone can be blamed for not wanting to use a dedicated forum like oOple - however good it is, and however friendly the community is, whatever's easiest in terms of promoting a club or putting out information will always win. It certainly doesn't mean forums will die, either - as long as people are interested, they'll stay afloat.
Old 21-04-2016
Mad Member

I myself use OOPLE and i also use it for Nots & Dery meetings ,information for everybody to see ;

Used OOPLE for many years and will continue to do so
Old 21-04-2016

You are doing a great job Oople keep the forum going, users will use viewers will view.
Old 22-04-2016
Mad Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WHITTLER555 View Post
It is the intention of the trustees at oOple to carry on with the forum to the best of their abilities.

The loss of Jimmy who basically spent every waking hour developing the forum and its content producing great reports and kit reviews means that we are finding it difficult to replicate his mammoth input.

I'm sure in time we will start to build the content again and we have plans to report on the 2016 oOple Series with the help of some forum members.

Sadly it all takes time and we all have full time jobs and lives.

Jimmy's life was oOple and its our duty to carry on his legacy to the best of our abilities.

Social media will develop in its own way and the forums will still be around, people will vote with their feet as to what is the best way of communicating.
The speed of the forum now will attract more people and keep them, this is the one major improvement that will help over and above all else.

The vintage section here is full of top guys willing to help, i'm also not on facebook but i'm slowly being drawn to the dark side
Old 30-04-2016
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

Just another possible reason, people can't get on to this forum as much as they used after the search engine reclassification.

I can't get on via my work firewall of a lunchtime (only time I really get during the week) and I also I can't get on via my work mobile broadband so I can't use the site when away. Net result is that when I am able, time wise, to use oOple I can't actually use oOple

Facebook is always there on my phone and I find that this forum is REALLY hard to navigate on an android device so again that puts me off.

I really miss oOple and offering help to racers where I can. On the rare days like today when I have a few spare minutes I will always log on and have a look at what is going on but most of the time I'm looking at posts that are several days old and others have answered the questions.

Maybe reclassifying oOple again in such away work firewalls doesn't block it might well raise usage again ...... just a thought.