Go Back   oOple.com Forums > General > 1/8 Nitro Off Road / Rallycross

Old 05-05-2010

Question Which Buggy?

Hi All

I used to keep rc cars as a teenager and raced them for a while, since then travelling, job, wife, kids etc.... all happened and it got forgotten about. I found my cars recently at my parents house (original tamya hotshot and one of the first kyosho ultimas - shows how long ago it was), and now I have more time again I'd like to get back into it, and so naturally have a few questions... I would not class myself as a complete beginner so dont want to buy a car that I will end up changing in few months for something better.

1/ How much quicker than an electric car is a nitro, ie compare a quick electric car (which is my other consideration - something like a modified schumacher cat sx) to a reasonable quality nitro.

2/ Very open question but, if buying a nitro to potentially race with, which one? Seen other posts about hyper7, or also seen HPI trophy or thunder tiger s3 or tomahawk in shops, also from reading the associated rc8 looks to have very positive feedback, but is it worth the difference in price?

3/ 1/10 or 1/8 scale? ie will a tomahawk 1/10 being lighter actually be better than a 1/8.

4/ Any other advice anyone feels they can offer me - I have read the beginner stickies which are similair to advice I have had in model shops.

Thanks in advance fo your help

Chris
Old 05-05-2010

Default Which buggy

If your going for a 1/8th buggy to race you have to go for the best which is a Kyosho MP9 in my opinion. It may not win all the big races and is quite an expensive kit, but it doesnt need any hop-ups and doesnt break easily. Also it is very user friendly being a good kit out of the box.
Old 05-05-2010

What area do live in? I would look at the local clubs pop down and have a chat with the guys there, see what they are racing. I got back in to electric this winter after 20 years and yes it has changed plugging speedos into laptops whats that all about.

Adam
Old 05-05-2010

1. I have only seen 1 electric 1/8th versus a nitro 1/8th i would say that the electric had the initial acceleration but the nitro had the top end. I would say though, thats highly subjective to the kit that i actually saw racing and there really wasnt much in it at all.

2. I just started racing at pendle at the start of the last winter season so still fairly new to it all, however i was advised to start with something like a hyper or trophy and while these are solid cars(buti would say more aimed at the bashing market?) if your sure you going to stick with it and want to eventually be competitive i would say go for one of the proper race kits, something like an Mugen MBX6, Kyosho MP9, XRay 808 (i just got a new 2010 kit of these and its ace), Losi 8ight or Associated RC8b, all these are the usual suspects you see at most races and for good reasons.
While this is more expensive to start with, having to buy servos, radio gear, engine/pipe etc it is cheaper in the long run imho than buying something in an RTR format that is aimed at a beginner/basher and then upgrading a few months later for better quality kit (been there, dont that!)

3. err dunno, 1/8th is great fun
4. I would highly recommend getting down to a local track and having a look round at what kit people are actually running, if you look at the pendle website (www.pdmcc.co.uk) you can see in the race results what kits people are running and as i said above there are some good reasons why you see lots of certain brands of car.
Old 05-05-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam31 View Post
What area do live in? I would look at the local clubs pop down and have a chat with the guys there, see what they are racing. I got back in to electric this winter after 20 years and yes it has changed plugging speedos into laptops whats that all about.

Adam
Cheshire nr J18 M6
Old 06-05-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Larner View Post
If your going for a 1/8th buggy to race you have to go for the best which is a Kyosho MP9 in my opinion. It may not win all the big races and is quite an expensive kit, but it doesnt need any hop-ups and doesnt break easily. Also it is very user friendly being a good kit out of the box.

Trouble is its no quicker or better than ANY of the other buggies out but costs alot more. Hardly anyone uses them and parts are not as readily available as other buggies, also neither the losi or RC8B need hop ups to name two. Any try and tell one of our old club members that it doesnt break easlily : ]
Old 06-05-2010

these are all good 1/8 offroad cars and good enough to go racing competitivley

mugen mbx6

losi imperial screws

rc8

mp9

hyper 9

hot bodies d8 6

one of these will be easiest to get and get parts for from your local modelshop
Old 06-05-2010

The cars to choose from personally would be the RC8B, Mugen MBX6 and Xray 808 10.

RC8B is relatively cheap compared to say a Kyosho MP9. Comes with lots of upgrades (only extra i would suggest getting would be the Ghea 1.3mmx8 hole Magic pistons). Spares are relatively cheap, easy to work on and lots and lots of support trackside and on the net.

Mugen is a bit more expensive but the thing is built like a tank and if you do manage to break something then good effort . Support is fairly decent trackside and on the web. Not to sure about spares but i haven't heard a single bad thing about them.

Xray again built like a tank and has superb support again like the above cars. Spares are a bit more expensive i think but the thing hardly wears so it would probably work out the same.

Kyosho i've heard mixed results. Damn expensive no one can deny. Online support in terms of spares is pretty good (apexmodels from what i can see). Set-up support though i really can't see any on the web but trackside they're just as friendly and helpful like all the teams.

Engines for starters something like a Picco basic. For £90 i think you can't really beat it for the money. If you know your going to stay racing and you're a quick learner (or can get on well with people and get them to teach you on a higher end engine) get a something like a Reedy (cheap, very smooth can be a lil bit picky on tune but once you've got it you're sorted!), OS (haven't heard a bad thing either a V-spec or the V-spec Speed) or one from the RB stable.

Is it worth the extra money....i personally would say yes. The designs of the cars have improved over the years and parts for the older cars do get harder to find in time.

Electric v Nitro.......don't even compare the things. To different animals. It's like comparing cats to dogs. Electric i think is quicker but you don't get the 'atmosphere' and you get to hear the chassis slapping the ground after big jumps without the engines (sounds nasty !!! ). Plus there are more nitro racers and races about than electric 8th.

8th or 10th scale. Get 8th. Bigger, tougher, goes over bumps better and easier to work on

Buy yourself a decent starter box (don't skimp out, it will bite you in the ass) and 2 decent servos! Keep it clean. If you don't have the time to rebuild it before every meeting at least give the clutch a rebuild before each time you go. Stick to one brand of fuel with the engine you use. Clean the air filters and keep oiled. Replace glow plug i'd say every 2 meetings (you can do about 6), makes tuning the engine easier and rules out if the plug is knackered if you've got problems. Decent set of tools, EDS are good .

Most importantly, enjoy yourself!
Old 07-05-2010
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaz View Post
Kyosho i've heard mixed results. Damn expensive no one can deny. Online support in terms of spares is pretty good (apexmodels from what i can see). Set-up support though i really can't see any on the web but trackside they're just as friendly and helpful like all the teams.
There is the misconception of the price of Kyosho, and I do understand why, as the TKI is damn expensive. But people forget about the Racing, which is what I am using, and it is no lesser car than say a Losi Eight or Xray 808 in terms of spec from the box. It handles damn well too, im flying round the tracks with mine.

if you decide to race, don;t go for 10th Nitro, all the clubs are 8th nitro and even if they do allow 10th scale - they won't get around the tracks as they'll be too rough for them.

The Hyper 7, Trophy etc are good RTR starter kits, but as soon as you get competitive you'll be held back by the car. They are damn good cars and awesome value for money, but they won't be breaking the lap record around the track, although you'll still take plenty of enjoyment from trying.
Old 07-05-2010

If you intending to race, forget about RTR cars. I made the mistake but I can only pass my experience on. I got a Mugen MBX6 and its awesome. Before buying the mugen I did look at other cars and went for the mugen as its stronger and competitive.
Old 07-05-2010
Mad Member

Hi Chris,

If you going 1/8th Nitro racing you will need a buddy to pit and someone who knows how to tune engines. Go to your local club for 1/10th and 1/8th and find out more.

If you are getting a car get a good make like kyosho, mugen or Losi.

Oh and Chris Kyosho does win the big races, Just ask Tebo, And i guarantee it will win the Kyosho Masters this year.

Kyosho UK

www.kyoshoeurope.com
Old 07-05-2010

Thanks for all your replies, I now have few good makes and models to investigate fully.

Cheers, Chris
Old 08-05-2010
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

Attend your local clubs, see what people use and what people say. Everyone will be pleased to assist and answer any questions as long as you catch people when not just about to go on the track, LOL.

If unsure where your local track is, look on BRCA.org, or tell us where you are and we'll help on here.