Go Back   oOple.com Forums > General > Vintage RC

Old 20-09-2014
Spends too long on oOple ...

You know they always do the work and product is top end of the market so is just a waiting game. Your collection is getting much bigger now and cant wait to see my replica finished.
Answer UK team driver
Designer of the Lazer ZX/ZXR carbon fibre tub chassis
Designer of the Lazer ZXRS
Old 20-09-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by Welshy40 View Post
You know they always do the work and product is top end of the market so is just a waiting game. Your collection is getting much bigger now and cant wait to see my replica finished.
That is true, at the moment its not holding me up as parts are still being anodised so I am just dummying things up, I spent a long time cutting the rear shock tower mount so its a nice fit between the side plates.

I will be chipping away at four projects simultaneously, the plan is to get all my projects built as much as possible so I can sell off all the extra parts, though I am considering building more buggies from the extra parts and selling whole as it will be less of a chore

I'm really keen to see how the replica turns out too as I haven't 100% decided which parts will go on it yet
Turbo Optima Mid SE
Turbo Optima Mid SP
Optima Mid Custom Special
Lazer ZX
Lazer ZX-R
Lazer ZX-S
Old 20-09-2014

Mate, i cant wait to see i as well. Only problem you will have is keeping up with my upgrades, however the cf gearbox sides wont change anymore so your safe there. Also latest prototype layshaft also looks like it wont change as i didnt need washers to space it out so fits perfectly with vts slipper in a normal gear cover. Testing in October
Answer UK team driver
Old 20-09-2014

Quote:
Mate, i cant wait to see i as well. Only problem you will have is keeping up with my upgrades, however the cf gearbox sides wont change anymore so your safe there. Also latest prototype layshaft also looks like it wont change as i didnt need washers to space it out so fits perfectly with vts slipper in a normal gear cover. Testing in October
I'm putting the LAW-12 on the CF gearbox as thats going to be a shelfer with the blue belts. I am considering using the new genuine ZX-R body and decals I have on it done in box art, to kind of make it a sleeper. I might not use the CF motor plate and go with a finned alloy one I have here but still not decided

The custom layshaft will be going on my second tub chassis which will have a regular gearbox with your tensioner for the rear belt and the same front belt tensioner setup as the CF gearbox

The ZX-S now has anodised gearbox poles just waiting on a couple other bits to get done as well to finish it off and I have the sway bar for it now
Turbo Optima Mid SE
Turbo Optima Mid SP
Lazer ZX
Lazer ZX-R
Lazer ZX-S
Old 20-09-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by HKS_TRD View Post
I'm putting the LAW-12 on the CF gearbox as thats going to be a shelfer with the blue belts. I am considering using the new genuine ZX-R body and decals I have on it done in box art, to kind of make it a sleeper. I might not use the CF motor plate and go with a finned alloy one I have here but still not decided

The custom layshaft will be going on my second tub chassis which will have a regular gearbox with your tensioner for the rear belt and the same front belt tensioner setup as the CF gearbox

The ZX-S now has anodised gearbox poles just waiting on a couple other bits to get done as well to finish it off and I have the sway bar for it now
Ok cool, you do realise the metal motor plate may be a problem fitting as its not countersunk as my cf gearbox is designed so you have to screw to motor plate to it and isnt done from the other side, unless that is you have another idea of resolving the issue with the metal poles.
Answer UK team driver
Old 20-09-2014

Quote:
Ok cool, you do realise the metal motor plate may be a problem fitting as its not countersunk as my cf gearbox is designed so you have to screw to motor plate to it and isnt done from the other side, unless that is you have another idea of resolving the issue with the metal poles.
I could drill the threads and countersink the holes though would a button head screw clear the spur gear? I suspect they would with the LAW-12, will have to look into it when I get back home (out of town at the moment) as it can be dummied up before drilling the threads and the fins are on the motor side not the spur side so a button head screw can seat flat on it

The CF motor plate is very thin, was that for clearance or some other reason?

I have a nylon front gearbox half for this project which has been dyed blue and will be using all titanium screws. Life can get tough on the shelf!
Turbo Optima Mid SE
Turbo Optima Mid SP
Lazer ZX
Lazer ZX-R
Lazer ZX-S
Old 26-09-2014

Just wanted to say thanks to James for chasing Stephen up, he's been back in touch this week. No eta on the tub but I'll keep my fingers crossed.

Does anyone who still checks in have the front Teamline shock mount?

I checked with Fibrelyte and they dont have a template for it but they will do a copy of one so I'm looking for a kind soul that wouldn't mind helping me out
Attached Images
File Type: jpg P1110329.jpg (18.5 KB, 5 views)
Old 27-09-2014

Quote:
I could drill the threads and countersink the holes though would a button head screw clear the spur gear? I suspect they would with the LAW-12, will have to look into it when I get back home (out of town at the moment) as it can be dummied up before drilling the threads and the fins are on the motor side not the spur side so a button head screw can seat flat on it

The CF motor plate is very thin, was that for clearance or some other reason?

I have a nylon front gearbox half for this project which has been dyed blue and will be using all titanium screws. Life can get tough on the shelf!
If you can drill it and fit a button then hope it all works out.

The cf motor plate was i thought standard thickness, but did base my design on using one of those motor plates in front of the motor (gold like the one you had with your zxs) but tbh it fitted fine for me without it but if you want it thicker you can ask Stephen to do another.

Titanium screws snap easily so if just a shelf then go for it, if a runner stay clear as it will cause you no end of problems.
Answer UK team driver
Old 27-09-2014

I just got my Lazer completely done. Here it is, ready to wreck:
Old 28-09-2014

Quote:
If you can drill it and fit a button then hope it all works out.

The cf motor plate was i thought standard thickness, but did base my design on using one of those motor plates in front of the motor (gold like the one you had with your zxs) but tbh it fitted fine for me without it but if you want it thicker you can ask Stephen to do another.

Titanium screws snap easily so if just a shelf then go for it, if a runner stay clear as it will cause you no end of problems.
I'm back home but haven't had a chance to look into it just yet, I need to sort out what else I need to get anodised first.
I just realised that Christmas is not all that far away so I really need Stephen to get onto my order or atleast the half of it I need to complete the Lazer I am building as a Christmas gift for somoene

Thanks for the tip on the titanium screws, I won't use them on any of my runners or if I do use any not in high stress areas
Turbo Optima Mid SE
Turbo Optima Mid SP
Lazer ZX
Lazer ZX-R
Lazer ZX-S
Old 28-09-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattias View Post
I just got my Lazer completely done. Here it is, ready to wreck:
Wow that looks great, what shell is that? Any more details on it, that front pivot block looks interesting
Turbo Optima Mid SE
Turbo Optima Mid SP
Lazer ZX
Lazer ZX-R
Lazer ZX-S
Old 28-09-2014

Quote:
Wow that looks great, what shell is that? Any more details on it, that front pivot block looks interesting
The shell is a Jconcepts Punisher for B4.1 +8 mm. It fits pretty well over the chassis. The Punisher for the regular wheelbase B4.1 doesn't work at all.
I slaughtered an undertray for a B44, bent the bits of lexan as needed and fitted it to the top if the chassis plate. More pics in this thread (in swedish, sorry. The pics speak all languages though): http://rsb.se/arena/showthread.php?9...g-runner-to-be

I made the front pivot block from a piece of aluminium and a bit of carbon fibre to stop the hinge pins from sliding out.

Last edited by Mattias; 28-09-2014 at 08:55 AM.
Old 28-09-2014
Mad Member

I'll post some pics of my ZX-R which has been looking very sorry for itself in my project queue for over a year, it has:

Full carbon fibre.
4 blue alloy pivot blocks all round.
Teamline blue front hub carriers.
Blue finned motor heatsink/mount.
Parma Tomcat body.
Kyosho blue heavy duty bellcranks.

What's the latest with the layshaft to accept modern slippers?

Thanks,

Dan
Old 28-09-2014

I use Associated spur gears with Associated slipper pads. "All" I had to do was to grind the flat bits of the shaft a bit (2-3 mm) longer, and use the inner ring from a ball bearing pressed into the spur gear to convert from 4,8 to 4 mm inner diameter. Works a charm, even if the actual slipper area is a tad small. I run a 13.5 motor, so I don't think it will stress the slipper too badly.

Last edited by Mattias; 28-09-2014 at 11:34 AM.
Old 28-09-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanB4 View Post
I'll post some pics of my ZX-R which has been looking very sorry for itself in my project queue for over a year, it has:

Full carbon fibre.
4 blue alloy pivot blocks all round.
Teamline blue front hub carriers.
Blue finned motor heatsink/mount.
Parma Tomcat body.
Kyosho blue heavy duty bellcranks.

What's the latest with the layshaft to accept modern slippers?

Thanks,

Dan
Dan,

Got the latest and believe last prototype shaft. Fits in perfectly with zero spacers and B4 slipper and what ive fitted VTS slipper goes in with no issues with the gear cover. But you need to buy the B4 100t spur gear from RW Racing but make sure you mention the ones James Instone was supplied.

Testing is happeng on the 11th October for a day so will update then. Im doing the Maritime event.
Answer UK team driver
Old 29-09-2014

looks like my lazer may be up and running before the 11th. I may be doing some testing too.
Old 29-09-2014
Mad Member

On another note I thought James and all may like to see my new built ZX-S

Body off pics soon.

Old 29-09-2014

Looks great. Now you can see where my ideas came from in my ZXR.
Answer UK team driver
Old 04-10-2014
Mad Member

Lads, what are my CVD options for my ZXR racer (below).....I've seen some newer ZX5/ZX6 shafts used - do the teamline hubs require different lengths? I would like to have modern CVD's all round.

Soon to have electrics fitted.

Cheers

Old 04-10-2014

I've got the following part numbers from deep within this thread:

Front: LA-232
Rear: LA-245 with LA-231-02 shaft/axle

The front ones listed above are for using the Teamline hubs with the wider track setting.