Go Back   oOple.com Forums > General > 1/8 Nitro Off Road / Rallycross

Old 28-11-2006
Administrator

Default brake bias ?

On my Truggy and indeed probably on every 8th scale out there, you can bias the brakes front and rear. So have more rear brakes to get the back end out etc...

Whats the rules on this, is there a preffered setup for them ? Should I have it pretty even, more front, more rear ? ? any ideas ?
I'm not used to having any front brakes in my other cars, so I'm not sure which way to go.
Old 28-11-2006
Mad Member

Send a message via MSN to dave g

depends on the surface and what type of corners jim..if theres a lot of fast straights with hairpins you may need a slight front bias to get more aggressive braking and brake later..but on a dusty track that would make the front end push and understeer maybe a little..

i normally have the rear a bit more keen than the front,this way you can encourage the rear a little in the tight hairpins.

what i do to set them up is dial the front brake out completely so it doesnt work,then try the car until i can get the rear brake locking up at full brake,then i gradually dial the front brake back in until im happy that its working ok,then just adjust the brake on the tx to get a nice smooth brake and not grabby.

dave
Old 29-11-2006
Administrator

Thanks dave I'll give that a try. Another one is the diff oils, with the truggy I was tempted to put concrete in there since it "diffed out" so badly. Instead, I did as jamie suggested and put 30/30/10 (i think 10 anyway) and that was great.
Would the buggy need something similar and is it something you'd ever change for different tracks etc ?
Old 29-11-2006
Mad Member

Send a message via MSN to dave g

buggy would need lighter oils as the buggy wheels are much smaller so less torque is needed on them.

something like a 7-5-3 should be a starting point but jamie would know better for the hong nor,the xrays are completely different regards diff oils,im using 3-3-5 and its near perfect.

yes altering the diffs make a difference,going lighter in the middle diff will give more power to the front to help stop the car fishtailing under power on low grip tracks,but you may get the front tires ballooning a lot.

going lighter on the front gives more steering but too light means it may diff out and you will loose forward traction under power then,going heavier gives more forward traction at the expense of steering if too heavy...it all depends on the track surface