Go Back   oOple.com Forums > Events & Venues > CLUB TALK > Newcastle RC Racers

Old 11-11-2013

Heading over tonight for my annual visit. Are you still starting at 7 at the same place?
Old 11-11-2013

Yes it's 7 in tynemet sports hall
Old 13-11-2013

Well a good nights racing this week with grip levels up significantly following a quick clean of the track by Hindson and TyneMet having turned the heating up a little following us mentioning it was getting a little chilly the previous week.
5 quali and a final for TC’s and Buggies on a nice flowing track from our new no1 track designer Screaming Lynch who is coming up with some very good designs at the moment.
Craig Corson, our Scottish annual racer joined us for his yearly visit and no less than 4 potential new members coming along to have a look, all of who have raced before at some point so hopefully see all of you back soon with a car up and running.

Looking forward to next week when new rubber will hopefully put me a bit more on the pace
Old 19-11-2013

Another good nights racing last night with plenty of grip - out new regime of a quick floor spray and wipe seems to be having a huge difference on the racing line J
A little more spread between the TC’s last night mainly down to a very power and top end orientated track layout but some particularly close racing in the buggy heat between Richie Junior Johnson and Trev making for entertaining watching.
Another visit from Colin Bryden still hoping to be back racing soon - maybe next week thanks to an offer of help from Trev and also a visit from Peter and Matthew Anderson, initially to sell Matthews transponder but now both threatening to come back racing next week.
That’s hopefully five returning racers to add to our numbers in the next few weeks if they do all make a return - fingers crossed.

See you all next week

Oh and just a heads up - no racing 23rd and 30th December due to the xmas break.
Old 26-11-2013

Well a surprisingly good turnout last night considering Benfield Winter Series ran the previous day. Full heats in both classes getting in some good racing with good grip levels as the floor cleaned up, a couple of buggy lads even running 2WD for a couple of rounds. Some tough racing between Nev and Barry over a couple of rounds of the TC’s and some (too) close rounds between Hindson and me with me coming off second best at the slightest contact every time!!! L
4 rounds and 2 leg final for everyone, 3 leg for those that wanted to get in the extra race with one or two sitting out the last one.

No signs of the Andersons as promised, maybe next week tho Liam Fletcher is hoping to make it a regular racing night whenever he can to give the regular buggy lads some more competition.

Nice to have good numbers, close competition with both classes running full heats again, long may it continue.

See you all again next week J
Old 03-12-2013

Default Winter Series 2013 Round 1

Well last night was the first round of the Winter 2013 Series with good numbers in both classes and some very close racing through all of the rounds - 4 winners out of the 5 rounds of quali in the TC’s. Even the oldest car on the track finishing first in 2 of them J but not in the final unfortunately where it counts L

Last nights agreed experiment with tyre additive confirmed that it’s worth around a second a lap at the fast end of the grid but also reaffirmed why we don’t allow it by the state of the floor afterwards. So no tyre additive in the hall - sorry.

On the down side, Old Man Ray paid a visit to let us know he won’t be coming to play anymore L
However after a little persuasion and talking round with the promise of some new go faster parts from Trev he’s agreed to see how it goes for a few more weeks.
Ray - ask Martin the difference a brushless setup makes - Martin running a brushless for the first time last night with a marked improvement in his speed - and that was with old NiMh cells!!!

Hope to see you all again next week for Round 2 of the winter series - only 5 from 8 rounds count so if you missed last night, no need to worry, just make sure you’re there next week.

And I need a chat with the committee to see what we can do for prizes.

Also I was thinking to even things out - maybe do what they do in BTCC and have success ballast over the series - any comments???
Old 10-12-2013

A surprisingly good turn out last night considering it’s Christmas shopping territory and a couple of out most regular racers were missing with full heats in both classes again
The grip was a little low tho and new tyres were definitely worth at least a second a lap, Gary being untouchable once he put on new rubber in round 2 of quali.

Anyway, next week is the last week this year with no racing over xmas until the 6th Jan so get along next week or you’ll have a long wait between race meets J
Old 17-12-2013

Well another good turn out last night for the time of year with full heats in both classes again for round 3 of the winter series.
Good to have Ross back putting in an appearance in the buggy heat even if it is only for one week.
Also Nev proving the point that while equipment isn’t everything, it is a big factor at the fast end of the grid being almost untouchable with his new TC6!!!!
A bit of competition for Hindson and Barry when he returns from his xmas rush - the perils of selling things kids want for xmas for a living!
It’s just a shame none of them ever want RC cars anymore, just Xbox & PS L

Don’t forget we’re off till 6th Jan now when hopefully Westy will be there to run Race Control as I have a board meeting in the Alps that week and Hindson is off somewhere mincing about on skis as well - otherwise over to you Nev - no pressure.

Just a heads up that we’ll probably be having the AGM 20th Jan all being well - so a free night racing as usual for those that turn up J
Old 14-01-2014

Well firstly our best turn out for a long time last night seen very busy racing in both buggies and TC’s for round 5 of the winter series.
Also a first time racer with Jasmin joining in the buggy class with a 2WD!
A couple of potential “returning” racers visiting last night to check out what we do, Paul and a couple of former Longbenton drivers, looking to get back into racing - hope to see you all back with cars on the track soon guys.

Anyway, we will be holding the AGM next Monday and despite what I may have mentioned, I’ve been corrected that the AGM night is not a free nights racing and hasn’t been for at least 3 years. Just shows how much I know about what goes on at the club with my head in the laptop every week. I suppose the meeting used to take up half of the night but generally we don’t even loose a round of racing now so no need to give the free night J

So if any of you want to have a say in how the clubs run, or stand for chairman in place of Nev or any other committee position, then get along Monday 20th as early as you can. The meeting will be between setup and racing starting.
Old 28-01-2014

Another cracking nights racing last night at TyneMet with 2 TC and 1 Buggy heat and some of the closest racing for a long time - 3 seconds separating 3 cars at the fast end of the TC grids after 4 rounds of quali. Nice fast flowing track too with plenty overtaking opportunity courtesy of the recently promoted vice chairman ;-)

And just to demo HOW close things were - the fastest lap of the night was posted by the oldest car with a 13.5 turn motor rather than the 10.5’s everyone seems to run - although both my finals were compromised by “racing incidents” L

Winners of the series will be announced next week after the last round tho we know who they are anyway irrelevant of what happens next week - or should we have a double points last round which F1 insanely seem to think is a good idea!!!

Another hopeful new racer - Dave Wright popping along for a look again last night tho he’s actually bought a car nopw so hope to see you on the track in a couple weeks Dave J
Would be good to see some of the other prospective members we’ve had look in on track soon too - come on lads - you’re missing some cracking nights racing ;-)

Thanks to those who brought their £1 coin for Gary last night - makes his life easier - see you all next Monday
Old 04-02-2014

Well last night was the last round in the winter series, the buggy class being won by Trev Anderson and the TC’s by Paul Hindson - well done lads.
We’ll take your thoughts on race series next week maybe, as to whether we have a summer series, or even a spring series.
Three heats last night, 2 TC and 1 Buggy running 5 rounds of Quali and a 2 leg final for each class.

Another visit by Dave Wright this time bringing along Peter Craigen as well as his dad, hopefully we’ll see dave on track in the next week or two and maybe Ken and Peter?? With any luck we could have four new returnees by the end of the month with Paul along as well.

Anyway, more of the same next Monday so get yourseleves along.
Old 11-02-2014

Well thinking maybe start a Spring series next week as we were surprisingly a little light on numbers last night given the good turn out’s we’ve been getting.
Not sure if its down to the winter series finishing or that you all stayed home to watch the Olympics - tho I don’t see why you would have as the snowboarding half pipe doesn’t start till today unless you like watching men in tights figure skating!

Anyway, 2 heats running 4 quali and 2 leg finals last night, Screamer running away with the full night on new tyres, tho he wasn’t the only on e with new rubber.

Hopefully see you all and more back next week and I keep saying but maybe a few of the new drivers??
Old 18-02-2014

2 heats running this week, TC and jumps for the Buggies and those of you that have been complaining about the cold recently, well my email seems to have worked. The hall was like a sauna when we arrived last night with the heaters coming on a further twice during the meeting!!!

Good to see Paul and Josh there again tho still not racing - finger out Paul!

Hope to see you both on track next week and Dave Wright???

A diff rebuild in order for me next week having gone from the fastest lap a few weeks back to undriveable last night despite being on new rubber L
Old 05-11-2014

Ok before you switch off reading there’s been a suggestion of a xmas drink or curry night, well I’m saying curry as there are no girls racing at the moment I can’t see many votes for pizza or tapas….or salad, so guessing curry will be the default.
We’ve done this in past years but with poor number of racers last year ended up with three of us. This year however with numbers good and lots of new guys, I’d expect a few more takers - so interested, let me know and then we’ll come up with a time and place - or Hindson will as that’s his thing if he ever comes back racing.

Anyway - race report so you can stop reading and delete it now…….yet another good turnout with 3 full heats all getting in 4 quali and 2 leg finals, Jamie Taylor and Junior Johnson battling out for honours on the dark side and trading fastest laps and some inch perfect racing and overtaking in the TC’s with the vintage Losi cleaning up in every round - which usually means the tyres are on the edge of being done so probably be awful next week!

Good to hear Kris’s old losi is getting better after a few tweaks and tips, Jamie back for a second week racing with us and another potential born again racer in Michael Snowdon from a long time ago at Benton - who remembered a few names and recognised Westy on one of his rare visits last night - tho not racing L

Lots of missing regulars again last night, some with good reasons, some just missing and some that I’m not sure are even classed as regulars anymore …… Screamer ;-)

Hopefully the way things are picking up we may even have to run 4 separate heats again sometime soon J

See you all again next week - hopefully Michael Snowdon back with a car and running
Old 18-11-2014

Well what looked like being a quiet night last night ended up being a quiet night though it was quite busy in between - a few late arrivals drifting in and a few finishing early for various reasons - fried electrics, broken cars and just running out of rubber!

A good nights racing though with a very busy TC heat due to the late arrivals and only being sorted for one TC heat at the start.
Meant we got 5 rounds of quali and 2 leg final at a quite relaxed pace though J

A little slippy on a couple of corners early on again but the grip came up nicely as the night went on - fastest laps improving by around half a second per round.

And a special mention for Sean as I promised who by the end of the night had avoided me twice while being lapped - his excuse for the others being that he is colour blind couldn’t see blue - unfortunate with I think 5 blue cars in the heat!

Note to self - don’t paint my next shell blue!!!

A couple of potential new racers and a message from Mike Snowdon that all his parts are ordered so he should be on track in the next wek or two J

See you all again next week - we must sort out the xmas curry!
Old 10-12-2014

Decent turn out last night with 16 racing on a rather slippery floor again - partly due to the floor seeming dusty and partly due to the floor being cold thanks to the basketball lads having the door open before us. (and in my case partly due to a notchy diff!)
Joined by occasional visitor Danny Harrison from Leeds last night and with Josh having his first proper night racing in a heat.
Old 06-01-2015

1. Well guys a great start to 2015 with loads of grip, some very intense racing in all heats, 4 quali and 2 leg finals for 2TC & 1 Buggy heat and our biggest turn out in over 2 years – hopefully a sign of things to come J

A visit from Santa Westy, Jamie Taylor and most of the regulars there giving the good numbers, Fitzy being first at the door keen to run his new toy which seemed to go much better.

AGM will be in 2 weeks on 19th between setup and racing so anything you want to raise, make sure you get there.

Racing is on as usual next week with hopefully even more drivers and grip so don’t miss out.

AND>>>>>>>>>> another potential member bored with driving nitro cars round car parks on his own looking for a TC so is anyone has any to sell – Nev, get that new one and teres a buyer lined up for your old one – please let either me or Andy Scowen know
Old 27-01-2015

Decent numbers again last night, 2 TC & 1 Buggy heats getting 4 rounds quali and a 2 leg final although the TC’s were combined to make a busy race. 2nd final was run reverse grid which made for an interesting first lap.

Some good racing with good grip levels again pretty much all night.

Nice to see Scott Richardson back racing after a long break and even longer since I last seen him – you haven’t forgotten how to drive then Scott???

Congratulations to Happy Mondays who became a dad again yesterday J - see you back racing next week then?

And good luck to our former chairman Nev who is having his leg amputated or something this coming week. J

Just one last point – an incident between myself and Nev on the first lap of 2nd leg final is to be referred to the race stewards ;-) – the outcome will be revealed next week (when Nev is not there ;-)

A reminder membership is due and anyone not having paid before the end of Feb will be classed as a non member and incur the additional £1 race fee until they do.

See you all again next Monday – at which point I think Ian might be starting a “spring series”? – best 5 from 8 results counting or something to give sick note Nev a realistic chance following his decapitation.
Old 14-04-2015

Well a little quiet last night despite having 3 racers join us who haven’t raced with us since Longbenton days. Welcome back Stewy, James & Ethan.

Quiet enough to only run 2 heats for the first time in a long time albeit 2 busy heats!

Usual 6 Quali and 2 leg finals – the finals being made rather interesting due to Mad Dog popping a shock and leaving oil all over the track in the last quali!

Hopefully see you all again next week.
Old 29-04-2015

A little quiet AGAIN last night, where has everyone been since Easter. Still enough for a busy TC and buggy heat with everyone getting the usual 6 races. Good levels of grip tho a few too many hairpins for my liking – doesn’t suit my driving or car setup L

Good to Have James and Ethan back again – where’s Stewy gone??

Also Adam joining us on the track for his first night’s racing and another 3 potential Racers with John and his son coming along for a look having just ordered a car each and Rob bringing his along. Couldn’t tempt him to join us for the final but managing very well in the breaks on track on his own for the first time ever on a slippy surface.

Don’t forget no racing on Bank Holiday but see you all again in 2 weeks time J