Go Back   oOple.com Forums > General > Electrics

Old 11-02-2018
Mad Member

Default LiHV Vs Graphene Vs LiPo

Im after some new batteries as mine are showing their age.

Ive been away from racing for around a year, i come back and all these different types of batteries show up lol

So whats the difference. Im looking at Turnigy Ultimate 4600's, Intellect 5000 or 6000 LIHV or Turnigy Graphene 4600.

As a very average club racer returning to racing will i notice a big difference between them. The LiHV's will obviously only be charged to 8.4v's, am i correct in saying that taking them to 8.4v will be less stress on the cells and therefore may last a bit long and be less prone to swelling ? Are graphene's the way to go ?

In my year away from 1/10 ive been playing with playing with racing quads, we use graphene's with those and they seem fine, ive not tried LiHV yet though.

Thanks for any input.

Schumacher F1..The original KF.
TLR 5.0 AC .. FORSALE
Old 12-02-2018

LiHV are pointless if you are going to use at 8.4v
Also the capacities on these are based on charging to the higher voltage so you will get less than advertised.

I read somewhere about graphene being a very good marketing ploy but no difference when tested in controlled conditions.
Old 12-02-2018
Mad Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparkyboy22 View Post
LiHV are pointless if you are going to use at 8.4v
Also the capacities on these are based on charging to the higher voltage so you will get less than advertised.

I read somewhere about graphene being a very good marketing ploy but no difference when tested in controlled conditions.
I didn't think anywhere allowed them to be charged to their full potential, hence only charing to 8.4v. I was looking at the 6000 Intellects, so capacity would be too much of an issue.

I use graphene's in my racing quad, they seem a little better than a standard LiPo for power, I'm not sure what they are like i cars though.

Schumacher F1..The original KF.
TLR 5.0 AC .. FORSALE
Old 14-02-2018

I've been running the LiHV Intellect batteries for over a year in my 2WD mod buggy. Despite regular use under relatively high stress on high grip tracks they have shown no sign of swelling. Previous batteries over the last few years have always shown some swell after a year or so.

So I would say they have improved, I don't know whether this is down to LiHV, graphene or something else.

http://www.racing-cars.com/pp/Manufa...2S3600HV2.html
Old 24-02-2018

I've been running HV-LiPo/LiHV in my touring car for about 6 months and haven't noticed any difference.

Yes, you aren't allowed to charge them above 4.2v per cell at any brca event and the capacity is based on being full charged to 4.35v per cell,

But they are lighter than standard LiPos and because you don't full charge them they are far less prone to swelling. Most swelling occurs when the battery is fully charged, this is why LiPos should be stored about 3.7v per cell (3.8v for LiHV)

One thing to remember is to change you low voltage cut out to 3.3v per cell or you can over discharge them!