Go Back   oOple.com Forums > General > The PlayGround > REAL 1:1 Cars

Old 21-01-2013

For my little shit heap runner, i bought some 2nd hand Scirocco Mk1 Alloys (won all 5 on ebay for £18!) threw some (decent) winter tyres on it and now i can drive everywhere! and that was 3 years ago!
Old 21-01-2013
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

I never touch the budget tyres. The extra distance its takes them to stop could mean the £20-40 a corner you saved buying them could cost you paying out on your excess and more expensive insurance for the next 5 years if you go up the back end of the car in front on decent tyres. Worse you could mow down a kid.
Old 21-01-2013
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

In RC racing, tyres is everything. Why would it be any different on 1:1 cars?

Cheaping out on tyres is just false economy and frankly dangerous.
10electric | Batley Buggy Club | YORCC | RHR | MB Models
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Old 21-01-2013
BANNED

The 'you need to be on the right tires' analogy is very good. I've put some Michelin Alpin's on the front of the dig milk van for this winter, it's miles better in snow than past years when I have been on normal tires.
Come spring Ill get a couple more rims off ebay and put some normals on them for summer, get the winter wheels out next winter.
SP12/RC10/XLS/JRX-2/XX/XXCR/XXCR-KE/XXX/XXXBK2/CR2/Xpro/B4/XX4/XXX4/X5/X11/DEX410/DEX210/DNX408/8ight/VW Golf GTI MK2/VW Golf TDI Wagon/Ovlov V70 D5/VW Beetle II (registered to Carrie)/Bailey Ranger/(does anyone read this bullshit?)/Creda Tumble2/HotPoint FE800/BOSCH SGS45C02GB/Dyson DC04/new patio doors & windows/freshly painted bannister rail & skirting boards, baby.
Old 21-01-2013

i used to be very against winter tyres 3 years ago , due to my wife being very unconfident driving in snow/ice i invested in some avon super ice touring these are more extreme snow tyres with the pattern of tread being serrated rather than just blocks i fit them in november or when temp drops 7 degc this is the temp that winter tyres start to work(mine anyway) and take them back of rims when temp again rises.
i would recomend anyone to invest in these the differance they make is unbelievable
if you get chance in cold weather feel how hard a normal tyre tread is and then feel a winter tyre the winter will still be soft
another thing winter tyres should be fitted to all four wheels as differance in grip can affect handling .
those still not convinced invest in some and give them a try !
Old 21-01-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by daz View Post
Tyres are tyres to me mate, they get me to work and the wife to Tescos to do the big shop (even bagged some horse meat). You must be on drugs to spend £400 on rubber.
What's does that make me then when my alloys and tyres have just cost £1400
--->Seller Feedback<---
Old 22-01-2013
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hpi_guy View Post
What's does that make me then when my alloys and tyres have just cost £1400
You'll be pimping out on 25" spinners in your landy ;-)
10electric | Batley Buggy Club | YORCC | RHR | MB Models
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Old 22-01-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by neallewis View Post
You'll be pimping out on 25" spinners in your landy ;-)
25" rims???? This is a proper landy not a range rover, 16" blindos in black with a fresh new set of 265/75/16 bf Goodrich all terrains, or for a extra £700 you could have some insa turbo special tracks on modulars, now they are winter tyres, just not sure if they would fit your standard car
--->Seller Feedback<---
Old 22-01-2013

I have Dunlop winter sport 4d on my seat leon cupra. Being able to put 180bhp on the road does have its benefits in the snow. They were £137 a corner fitted and that's for 17s. My usual continentals are £100 so not much difference for extra winter safety. I've had winter tyres for 4 years now and wouldn't change back. The car would go nowhere at the moment.
I can go anywhere a 4wd can go, on road I don't have the ground clearance for off road.
If you ever look at tyre tests you'll see that paying a few quid extra for a branded tyre really does reap benefits in terms of all round tyre performance. They will out brake the cheap Chinese tyres by more than double and these cheap tyres are not even made to European standards. Is that worth snyones safety??
Having a good independent dealer like I have also keeps costs down as the same tyres from the high street would be £50-80 more.
Old 22-01-2013
Mad Member

Personally, i wouldnt put my life or my family's lifes at risk by buying cheap non brand tyres, there are dangerous! There should be some sort of law against it..now there are new tyre lables out there's no excuse for people buying shite tyres.

Yokomo - Nemoracing
Sb Designs
http://www.fairfueluk.com/
Old 22-01-2013

Weridly, on my company car they are obsessed with budget tyres. So much so I had to pay the extra to get some better tyres on it.

Strange really, they just see me as being fussy
Old 22-01-2013
Mad Member

Default Quote

Quote:
Weridly, on my company car they are obsessed with budget tyres. So much so I had to pay the extra to get some better tyres on it.

Yeh but the way you drive they last along time

Last edited by Col; 22-01-2013 at 10:45 AM.
Old 22-01-2013
Mad Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MatJohnson View Post

Ours are the other way round, mentioned that the fronts were a bit, um, sketchy, and might need swapping while they were doing the service, rears were pretty much immaculate. Came back to find 4 new tyres fitted, £1000 bill. (It wasn't the dealers ripping us off either, as its our own dealership )

I guess one of the mechanics probably needed a couple of tyres........
Old 23-01-2013
Mad Member

Send a message via AIM to daz

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmgreen View Post
Personally, i wouldnt put my life or my family's lifes at risk by buying cheap non brand tyres, there are dangerous! There should be some sort of law against it..now there are new tyre lables out there's no excuse for people buying shite tyres.
I love my chinese ling longs, can do ace burnouts and they just dont wear out. Think they must be made from plastic, maybe recycled wheelie bins lol. Stopping distance is probably worse than a freight train tho, but with my poorly fitted aftermarket hids, old folk and kids willsee me coming from a couple of counties away
Old 23-01-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by jameswilkinson7 View Post
I just spent £500 on an old non turbo Impreza, that gets me around just fine in the winter, It dosent matter if it gets the odd bump and its great fun in the snow! Its on its 2nd year now, BMW for the summer, Impreza for the winter. Problem solved!

The wifes snow tyred corsa would out drag your 4x4 turbo on sheet ice/snow still. try it to believe it. ive blitzed around albeit not very fast on ice in my cousins impreza sti, it wont get stuck unless your daft and only steady progress at best. so youve paid for a car, tax and insurance not to mention the cost of an extra set of tyres for your extra car lol that compared to the £0 cost of winters as once again you can only use one set at a time so your summers are sitting in the garage waiting their turn....
Old 23-01-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by richie. View Post
The wifes snow tyred corsa would out drag your 4x4 turbo on sheet ice/snow still. try it to believe it. ive blitzed around albeit not very fast on ice in my cousins impreza sti, it wont get stuck unless your daft and only steady progress at best. so youve paid for a car, tax and insurance not to mention the cost of an extra set of tyres for your extra car lol that compared to the £0 cost of winters as once again you can only use one set at a time so your summers are sitting in the garage waiting their turn....
Hmm, have you been on the wine or something. It's not a race? It's a non turbo, I've paid for 6 months tax on that then 6 months on my Beemer for summer, swap the insurance over and that's it! I don't need to worry about wreaking my nice car, or someone else wreaking it for me.

I think it's a good idea!
Old 23-01-2013
oOple Advertiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattr View Post
funny that, I've been driving 20 years too (and as a test driver for several), and managed without until about 5 years ago.
I now don't have to worry about black ice, sheet ice, compacted snow, snow or low temperatures.
And summer tyres wear faster in the winter, cos they get brittle. (wrong compound for the conditions you see). So I get about 150000 miles out of 2 sets, instead of 60 thousand out of one.
the only down side is the initial purchase.

60,000 miles on one set of tyres

I get about 11,000, must learn not to press so heavy on the pedals.

Never had winter tyres, but keep on contemplating getting some for my scooby.
Old 23-01-2013
oOple Advertiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by daz View Post
Tyres are tyres to me mate, they get me to work and the wife to Tescos to do the big shop (even bagged some horse meat). You must be on drugs to spend £400 on rubber.
Makes me sad when people think about tyres like that.
They are the only bit in contact with the road yet you don't give a stuff what you put on your car?

I'd have thought someone who races r.c. cars would understand how much difference a decent set of boots can make to a car.

Mine are around £500 for a full set. Goodyear Eagle F1 Asymmetric.
Old 23-01-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by jameswilkinson7 View Post
Hmm, have you been on the wine or something. It's not a race? It's a non turbo, I've paid for 6 months tax on that then 6 months on my Beemer for summer, swap the insurance over and that's it! I don't need to worry about wreaking my nice car, or someone else wreaking it for me.

I think it's a good idea!
So you being the guy who goes for the breaks in a situation that is totally out of your hands and discovers you can't stop during human error will find you are actually the guy wrecking motors. Didn't mean race, ultimately meant grip.
Old 23-01-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by richie. View Post
So you being the guy who goes for the breaks in a situation that is totally out of your hands and discovers you can't stop during human error will find you are actually the guy wrecking motors. Didn't mean race, ultimately meant grip.
What's wrong with you man? I'll do it my way, you do it yours. I'm sure I know my situation better than you do!

Go and pick an argument with someone else!