Go Back   oOple.com Forums > General > The PlayGround > REAL 1:1 Cars

Old 14-09-2011
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

Send a message via MSN to Southwell
Default What car?

Hi All,

Im looking to get a better car for racing, going to change the Mrs' car.

My wants:

330D Manual or Auto, but not very good on fuel.
320D Auto or Manual

Looking at 2003/4 with around 100k on the clock.

I want it fairly punchy with good MPG (45+)

Any other suggestions? We really want a smaller Golf sized car but i find them uncomfortable on 1 hour+ drives.

Looking at spending around 4k, but can raise if the right car comes along. I don't drive enough to spend more than that really.

Thanks

Ian
Old 20-09-2011
Mad Member

I can certainly vouch for the Mazda6 Diesel - not quite as powerful as the 320d (although can eaily be remapped to 155bhp +) but has superb handling and reliability. Plenty of low-down torque and huge boot. There is one in the "for sale" section that is £1k under budget, newer with a lower milage, the seller I can most certainly vouch for!!!!!!
Old 20-09-2011
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

I had an 06 Mazda 6 143. Was a really nice car, I only sold it as i wasn't doing long journeys. Should shift that one in no time, i sold mine in 18 hours from putting it on Autotrader!
Old 20-09-2011
Mad Member

Look up the 320d on forums, i was looking at these a while back, but lots of horror stories. Can't remember the exact details, but the engines have some sort of flap which can get eaten by the engine and totals it. I found a thread with hundreds of people reporting the same thing. Have a look here http://www.bmwswirlflaps.co.uk/

Not sure if 330 is affected
Old 20-09-2011
Mad Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Southwell View Post
I had an 06 Mazda 6 143. Was a really nice car, I only sold it as i wasn't doing long journeys. Should shift that one in no time, i sold mine in 18 hours from putting it on Autotrader!
Thats the reason im selling mine - Im fancying a Saab 9-5 Aero/Volvo T5/Subaru Legacy instead, not as cheap to run, but more capable of frightening the wife! Still, the Mazda has been by far the best car i've owned

With regards a car for you, I sense an affinity towards a German Diesel, in which case the 320d is a great car, and certainly your price/milage requirements should get you something decent. There is also the Audi A4 1.9tdi.

If practicality is on your list, how about a Volvo V70 D5 - suberb diesel engine, acres of space and they will just eat the miles
Old 20-09-2011
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

Quote:
Originally Posted by dibble34 View Post
Look up the 320d on forums, i was looking at these a while back, but lots of horror stories. Can't remember the exact details, but the engines have some sort of flap which can get eaten by the engine and totals it. I found a thread with hundreds of people reporting the same thing. Have a look here http://www.bmwswirlflaps.co.uk/

Not sure if 330 is affected
Ooh, that doesn't sound good! Thanks for the info.
The Mrs wants a focus diesel, they are under well under 4k for a 2007 with 80k on the clock! I like the running costs of a cheaper car, but need it to be more spacious really.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris56 View Post
Thats the reason im selling mine - Im fancying a Saab 9-5 Aero/Volvo T5/Subaru Legacy instead, not as cheap to run, but more capable of frightening the wife! Still, the Mazda has been by far the best car i've owned

With regards a car for you, I sense an affinity towards a German Diesel, in which case the 320d is a great car, and certainly your price/milage requirements should get you something decent. There is also the Audi A4 1.9tdi.

If practicality is on your list, how about a Volvo V70 D5 - suberb diesel engine, acres of space and they will just eat the miles
I love my Golf, it is very well made and running nicely, it just isn't confortable for too long with big Recaro leather seats!
V70 is way too big.
Saab 9-5 are nice, my boss loves Saab's. Jaguar X types are ridiculously cheap now, im not quite old enough though i think.
Old 20-09-2011
Mad Member

Had an 06 focus zetec for a year and loved it. Boot is one of the biggest in class. Could get the estate?
Old 20-09-2011
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

Quote:
Originally Posted by dibble34 View Post
Had an 06 focus zetec for a year and loved it. Boot is one of the biggest in class. Could get the estate?
Noooooo.
Im thinking of buying the Focus, keeping it a while and then chopping in my Golf for a powerful diesel car. Keeps the mrs happy, and i still end up with what i want.

Looking at this one: http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classifi...26ey?logcode=p
Old 20-09-2011
Mad Member

That is a bargain. Couple of things to think about with the diesel. (Had an old mondeo TD and got burnt)

1 - Does this model have a dual mass flywheel. (Google it, but basically when is starts to go it is pricey to fix.

2 - Generally more expensive if they go wrong, £1500 for a fuel pump, injectors are something like £100 a pop as well.

On the motorway if driven sensibly my 1.6 petrol did over 40mpg and always over 35 round town. I decided i didn't do enough miles to risk the big bills!
Old 20-09-2011
RHR RACING

Send a message via MSN to James

Thought the 330d was supposed to be awesome with a power remap? What about one with a better fuel consumption remap?
Old 21-09-2011
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

I don't think you'll find a 3-series any bigger then a new Focus to be honest.... they're huge!!

5-Series is good size wise but really found the 3 a bit too small to be honest....

What about an A4 Avant? Or a 3-Series Touring at least?

VW Passat TDi's are great cars for that sort of money, ultra reliable, good on fuel and nice and comfy too!

Other then that I'd probably look at an Octavia TDi, why do you think so many Taxi firms run them :-)
Old 21-09-2011
Mad Member

Other good, reliable ones if you want more poke:
Mondeo 2.2 Tdci
Honda Accord diesel
Old 21-09-2011
Mad Member

Send a message via AIM to daz

Quote:
Other good, reliable ones if you want more poke:
Mondeo 2.2 Tdci
Honda Accord diesel
Mondeo Tdci reliable? Are you having a laugh.
Old 21-09-2011
Mad Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by daz View Post
Mondeo Tdci reliable? Are you having a laugh.
Absolutely not, i've known plenty of people with high-milage Mondeos and have owned them without problems.

As Nick said, plenty of diesel Mondeo taxis about - says something

The worst horror stories I've heard have related to German cars.
Old 21-09-2011
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

I was thinking a Focus to be cheap, but it sounds like it could potentially be very expensive, like any car though i guess. There are some horror stories on forum about the dual mass flywheel!

I wanted a 330 over a 320 for the upgraded components really. I need to do some more research but i would except uprated engine internals and gearbox, brakes, suspension, etc.
My mates had my Mondeo 2.0 TD for years and it's been perfect. Not sure about the TDCI engines though.

I was looking at this 330: http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classifi...26ey?logcode=p
Old 21-09-2011
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

Or This in an auto: http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classifi...s/40?logcode=p

Anyone heard any horror stories on Auto 330's? I don't like the drop in mpg over a manual one though.
Old 21-09-2011

Quote:
Absolutely not, i've known plenty of people with high-milage Mondeos and have owned them without problems.

As Nick said, plenty of diesel Mondeo taxis about - says something

The worst horror stories I've heard have related to German cars.
I'm in the middle of a horror story right now with my wifes 2.2 HDI peugeot 807.
Snapped timming belt - less than 3 years / 30,000 miles since new one fitted, along with water pump idler etc... Wasn't due for another 2 years.

We couldn't get the head off because of seized injectors. It cost me £240 for a guy to hydraulically pull them out (18 tones of force he reckoned)... He snapped 3 in the process, then the remains had to be spark eroded out.. £370

the head is finally back, 1 valve replaced, skimmed and new rockers, ready to fitted to the engine. I'm £1500 down so far including all the new bits required

Stay away from the peugeot HDI engines The car is ace but i was shocked by the poor design of the engine / injectors. Apparently premature failure of the timing belt is common on these too.
Old 21-09-2011

I've owned a 53-plate Audi A4 1.9 Tdi sport 6-speed for the last 10 months and it's superb, it's done over 130,000 miles and is still as tight as a drum. The 1.9 engine is very tough and will last lots and lots of miles; as far as I've heard it's one of the most reliable diesel engines in modern times.

All of the controls including the gearbox, drivetrain, clutch etc. are very sweet feeling and the car doesn't give off any creaks or rattles despite doing a lot of miles.

As for economy, obviously with any car if driven hard the mpg does drop; but on average I'm getting between 500-600 miles to a tank and I don't do a lot of motorway driving and frequently drop the right foot.

As for power it's superb; 130bhp doesn't sound like much these days but my god does it go if you drive it properly. I was considering chipping it even before I bought it but after driving it for 10 months I have changed my mind because it really is quick enough and I like nippy cars.

Even the maintenance costs are good if you shop around and know the right people.

My friend is a mechanic and he recently got me:
Engine oil,
Oil filter,
Fuel filter,
Pollen filter,
Air filter,
Timing belt kit inc. pulleys/tensioners,
Water pump.

All brand new Audi parts, admittedly using a trade discount all of the above cost £166. Incredible.

Team Losi Mini 8ight - Gen's Ace 1800mah Lipo // EZRun 35A ESC
Old 21-09-2011
Mad Member

Send a message via AIM to daz

The 330d auto have swirl flaps which can lead to problems. The auto boxes are alot weaker on the diesels for some strange reason and can cost a fortune to recondition. Oh and they also sound like tractors, like all diesels. (I hate diesel cars btw).
Get a petrol one, apparantly do 7mpg less than the tractor version, go better, sound better and alot more reliable.

Last edited by daz; 21-09-2011 at 12:51 PM. Reason: eta.
Old 21-09-2011
Mad Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by daz View Post
The 330d auto have swirl flaps which can lead to problems. The auto boxes are alot weaker on the diesels for some strange reason and can cost a fortune to recondition. Oh and they also sound like tractors, like all diesels. (I hate diesel cars btw).
Get a petrol one, apparantly do 7mpg less than the tractor version, go better, sound better and alot more reliable.
I use to have a 330dse manual x reg it was 2 years old at the time it had 18 mv and all the sports trimmings 13,000 on the clock what a car it was I loved it side ways everywhere I want so refined you couldn't here or feel the engine I'm after a 58 plate estate at the moment but finding a low mileage one at the right price isn't easy but I would really recommend one stay away from 320ds
To many issues the 330d is bomb proof

Or you could buy my Volvo c70 t5 sport lux on a o6 for £8k 35 mpg on the motorway ??

Buds

http://budsballs.co.uk