Go Back   oOple.com Forums > Car Talk > Tamiya

Old 19-03-2007

I've got Yokomo shafts in the shocks on my TRF, the part numbers are YS-5S-2T for the front and YS-5L-2T rear. I've had some pretty big knocks and not bent or broken any but they're a bit pricey.
-Steve
Present: Tamiya DF-03
Future: Tamiya TRF501X
Old 19-03-2007
Stu-Perstar

I am really stuck. On sunday I had a problem in round 3 when the car would not brake in a straight line. I did change a few things to go into round three but I have checked these and all is fine. I have checked all my hinge pins, wishbones, difs etc. all is fine. The car was ok in practice, round 1 and 2. The only thing I can find is that the wheel base is out about 3mm from 1 side to the other. I have used the correct washers and they are the same size but even messuring hubs to a screw in the chassic. Any ideas or has anyone else had this problem.
Old 19-03-2007
Administrator

Your dad had a look Stu?
Is this what you'd describe as tweak? maybe take it all apart and put it back together and problem solved?
If you want I'll come over sat and we'll rebuild it whilst the girls chat haha..
Old 19-03-2007
Stu-Perstar

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmy View Post
Your dad had a look Stu?
Is this what you'd describe as tweak? maybe take it all apart and put it back together and problem solved?
If you want I'll come over sat and we'll rebuild it whilst the girls chat haha..
The reason I have my Dad on the case is because he has a micrometer in his eye. If anyone can find the problem he will. He is also retiered so he has all day and all week.
Old 19-03-2007
Administrator

he's ace, he used to scare me - in fact he still does. but he's the man when it comes to stuff like that.
Old 19-03-2007
Supah doOpah

Send a message via MSN to PaulRotheram

I'll be surprised if it's tweek, although it could have an influence. Tweek mostly effects the car when accelerating, it'l make the car twitchy, or loosen the rear end up.

I some times experience the problem under heavy breaking when the traction is high as any touch of the steering will make the car break loose of traction (from my experience).

How much did you have the breaks on your ip6 woody? and what minimum breaks do you have?
I remember when i had minimum breaks on standard, the car would do as you have said. I have turned it down to 0 (off) and i'm yet to have a problem.

Try resetting the esc completely and see if the problem is still there. I've had the esc reset it self one on its own, with out realising.. it took me a week to realise !
Old 19-03-2007

Wo0dy suck eggs time but all the washers are the same from side to side on the inner hinge pins???
Come to the blue side and feel the love!!
Old 19-03-2007
Mad Member

You probably already have checked but have you looked at the drive pins Stu just a thought happened to my touring car once.
Old 19-03-2007
Administrator

Talking to woody just now, there's a chance it could be an electric problem somewhere.
Old 19-03-2007
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRF_Tastic View Post
Wo0dy suck eggs time but all the washers are the same from side to side on the inner hinge pins???
yeah we checked all that pretty thoroughly - I don't beleive woodys measurements haha, I want his dad to look at it before we go down that route.
Old 19-03-2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRF_Tastic View Post
OK then guys question time here.

Raced the 501 today with a number of different drive options on it.

Oneway Standard shocks 35f AE blue spring med hole piston. 30r Ae Silver spring large hole piston. Car seemed to "dig in" on entry to corner, fine on exit jumped well. Any thoughts???

Same setup with Diff no problems with the front of the car at all.

Setup with the shock bladders used and diff awesome difference to stock shocks car was much more responsive!!

Didnt get to try the car with the shock bladders and the one-way.

Any thoughts on the issues with the front of the car.
I run 40wt oil, small holed pistons and blue springs at the front, with the one-way installed. My shock locations are the same as you mentioned in a later post, i.e. middle on wishbone and 3rd hole from the outside on the tower.

I'm sure you realise that a front one-way should generate more steering off power relative to a diff., which would imply increased weight transfer to the loaded outside wheel. This could well be the 'digging in' you're experiencing compared to running a differential. Therefore, I would suggest you're running a little soft. Perhaps try the small holed pistons first (I found the damping wasn't sufficient with anything but these) and then possibly a thicker oil.
Old 20-03-2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dunc View Post
I'm sure you realise that a front one-way should generate more steering off power relative to a diff., which would imply increased weight transfer to the loaded outside wheel. This could well be the 'digging in' you're experiencing compared to running a differential. Therefore, I would suggest you're running a little soft. Perhaps try the small holed pistons first (I found the damping wasn't sufficient with anything but these) and then possibly a thicker oil.
Cheers Dunc, this was the first time that I have run a one-way, never got on with them in touring cars and I'm still not decided about them in the buggy, it felt like I was sacrificing a lot just to be consistant with it, however I will probably go back towards the diff for the first regional and then have another play after that with the oneway.
Old 20-03-2007
Administrator

You have to drive smoother with the one-way, but the car is quicker. Just depends on your driving style and what you like though.
Old 20-03-2007
Spends too long on oOple ...

one-way, drive it like you stole it, and don't let it drift into the corner too much off-throttle as it will bight you in the butt. Drive it on the throttle and use the extra on-power steering it gives to pull you around the corner.
Old 20-03-2007
Administrator

lol
I really find I have to drive it like I stole it with a fixed 4WD car. with the 501X I was really having to throw it into corners to get round.. It was fast, but it was another level of fast with the one-way. I would like to get the centre one-way though, I think that would be easier on some of the rougher tracks.
Old 22-03-2007
Stu-Perstar

Well, Dad has built it back up now after not finding anything, it now breaks in a straight line so I dont know what it was. I did have a blow shocky so I have replaced that so this is the only thing we can think of. It must of sent a signal astray.
Old 25-03-2007

Had my first race meeting with the 501 last night and was well impressed with the car.

Despite the driver being very rusty (haven't driven an off-roader competitively since 2001) I didn't make too many mistakes and wasn't too far off the pace of the regulars.

The only trouble I had was getting used to the astroturf sections of the track - as it was the first time I'd driven on such a surface. The car was dialled on the dirt section but a little too twitchy on the astroturf.

I was running the front one-way so I might try a diff next time out.

Otherwise the car was excellent, handled and steered well and was completely reliable.
Old 25-03-2007

Talking

It was good seeng a couple of Tamiya 501x buggies in action here in Australia last night.Jason I thought you and Alan both did well with your cars and Im looking forward to running my 501 with you guys next weekend.That will be three TRF 501X buggies!
Old 28-03-2007

Send a message via MSN to grindog

Hi all, Anyone got a decent grass setup yet (Oswestry BCL). Going to be its first run in the dirt so very curious

John
Old 29-03-2007

Hey John, I have been running the same setup that Jimmy's review for grass, it seems to work very well indeed, however could do with a little more front end grip, could be a tyre issue as I havent found one that quite bites right on all sections of the track.