Go Back   oOple.com Forums > Car Talk > Team Losi Racing

Old 08-08-2013

Default TLR 22 2.0

Nice News from TLR (seen on Facebook)

Making it's debut this week at the 2013 ROAR Electric Off-Road Nationals is the new Team Losi Racing™ 22™ 2.0 buggy.

Go to TLRacing.com for all the info, specs, images and video.

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Team-...ocation=stream
Old 08-08-2013
Mad Member

"Go to TLRacing.com for all the info, specs, images and video."

theres no mention of it on the site :P

found stuff here

http://www.redrc.net/2013/08/tlr-22-v2-0-2wd-buggy-kit/
Old 08-08-2013

The 2.0 sounds like a std 22 but with most hop up parts from tlr. I wonder what the revised front geometry is? Maybe 5deg caster blocks. Or is there something I'm missing on this? Have they changed something major to get us back on the pace with the good old tank 22
Old 08-08-2013

Finally I can speak about this :-)

There are a lot of small detail changes that have gone into the 22 2.0 It's easy, at first glance, to miss them but they all add up in different ways to making the 2.0 easier to drive and easier to push with.

First up, the most obvious is perhaps the inclusion of several hop up items as standard (threaded hinge pins, alloy front bulkhead, alloy washers etc). The shocks now feature 2 hole 1.6mm machined pistons as standard along with machined shock spacers and X-ring seals and all hinge pins and shock shafts now have that uber sexy dark TiCN coating that the 8ight 3.0 series also has.

The Steering Rack has been tweaked to enable the Ackermann angle to be changed (the inner ball stud is now horizontal and can be shimmed forward / backward) and mid motor owners can now choose to retain their batteries with a new hinge plate that can double up as a Rx or ESC plate.

One of my personal favourites (thanks Frank) is the inclusion of a small retaining screw that now holds the forward rear wishbone pivot block and anti squat shim in place so you can remove the mid car gearbox without the rear suspension falling apart.

The new 6.5inch rear wing is made from ultra thick lexan and there have been subtle revisions to the 22 bodyshape to accommodate the revised battery mounting system (rear motor users can now use a battery brace and thumbscrews as opposed to velcro). Interestingly, there is also mention of a new Cab Forward bodyshell on the options list and my understanding is that the US team have some pre-production versions of these to run at this weekend's US ROAR nationals.

The revised front geometry does indeed feature 5 degree caster blocks along with 4mm trailing axles but it must be noted that these are NEW items and the geometry is significantly different from the older original car.
We've tested this new front geometry for quite some time and the difference is quite startling. Its best summed up as saying that it accommodates a more aggressive driving style and allows the driver to push harder without fear of the car snatching or hooking with the resultant loss of rear traction. This makes the car feel much easier to drive without making it numb or non-reactive. It also affects the way that the car loads up during the corner so again, you benefit from a more consistent feel through longer turns without robbing yourself of any initial sharpness or feel.

I could go on but I think the pictures probably speak more than I can. You can check out more details and look at the pictures here.

Enjoy :-)
Old 08-08-2013

the thing that i am most interested in is that mid motor esc mounting brace

im persuming that this part could be bought to fit on the standard tlr 22?

thanks

TLR 22 2.0
Speed Passion
Sanwa
SMC
Old 08-08-2013

I should imagine so. I think you'd need to look at part number TLR232014 primarily although you'd then need some fasteners (it uses the front king pins as the hinge pivot fasteners) and possibly you might have to drill a couple of holes in the old v1 chassis to accommodate the front battery stop moulding. I'm unclear on the last point though - that would be worst case. It could be that the new moulding will use the same holes as the front battery stop on the v1 kits do.

Last edited by Gnarly Old Dog; 08-08-2013 at 09:06 AM. Reason: typos
Old 08-08-2013
Mad Member

Shame the gearbox hasn't been altered so it's a bit closer to the rear driveshafts! Some nice changes though

Mendip R/C Raceway - Offroad Racing in South-West
WORM-Racing - GT12 Racing in the South-West
Old 08-08-2013

thanks for that

if thats the case that would be ideal...as im not a low pro servo fan, my esc is mounted on the slant just above the motor and has a bad habit of coming loose once in a while

so is the new v2 chassis drilled out different from the v1 chassis?

and...is there a price annouced yet for the 2.0?

cheers

TLR 22 2.0
Speed Passion
Sanwa
SMC
Old 08-08-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cremegg View Post
thanks for that

if thats the case that would be ideal...as im not a low pro servo fan, my esc is mounted on the slant just above the motor and has a bad habit of coming loose once in a while

so is the new v2 chassis drilled out different from the v1 chassis?

and...is there a price annouced yet for the 2.0?

cheers
The RRP is 278.99.

The chassis is pretty much the same all baring one small detail which is the inclusion of a small hole to hold the suspension carrier (the front one where the anti-squat is adjusted) to make maintenance easier and obviously holes to mount the new battery brace systems for Rear and Mid Motor configurations. Everything else is pretty much the same on the chassis dimension wise.
Old 08-08-2013

The revised means that we dont have to dremel the steering parts to get the right hub position now right?
I guess the ackermann plate is great, I tried to make this mod on my own with the old rack but it has very little space for the screws, very nice to get a better solution now .
Cant wait to get my hands on the machined shock parts. The old shock shaft were the worst I ever had (One run and deep scratches in the shafts) and I hope they are comparable with associated shafts now.
But a few questions:
I saw the differences between the SCT diff outdrives the old 22 ones. Can you explain why they changed the diff outdrives?
Stock springs? Not the new linear ones?
New ball cups? The sct had the ones with HD on them are those stock here too?
Old 08-08-2013

ah ok thanks

regarding the new mid motor battery/ esc mount TLR232014

thats what im most interested in (so i can actually mount the esc in a decent place)

would this fit straight onto the V1 chassis?

TLR 22 2.0
Speed Passion
Sanwa
SMC
Old 08-08-2013

@Moose.

Not sure what you've been dremelling so can't answer definitively (sorry).
This is not the same as the long camber link that some of the team used if that's what you are referring to?

As for the Ackermann - agreed - there's little room on the existing slider to achieve much in the way of inner ball stud movement. I understand from Frank Root's post that the new rack sees the ball stud mounted higher up than the old one as well as being able to be shimmed. I expect it will be a good tuning aid.

As I understand it, the outdrives were changed to accommodate a final machining op to ensure that the plates were a flat as possible when mounted. For sure, the revised outdrives make for a smooth diff but with care, I've not had a problem with the older, non-machined outdrives.

Springs - yes they are the new LF springs included in the kit as standard (one set for front and one set for rear)

Ball Cups - According to the instructions, ball cups are TLR6018 - so the originals as far as I know.
Old 08-08-2013

Quote:
ah ok thanks

regarding the new mid motor battery/ esc mount TLR232014

thats what im most interested in (so i can actually mount the esc in a decent place)

would this fit straight onto the V1 chassis?
Can't say for certain until we actually see the v2.0 chassis plate. There is a possibility that the forward battery moulding / battery stop mounting holes are in a different position with the new hinge plate. If this is the case then you would need to re-drill the original chassis to accommodate the new forward stop moulding. Geometry-wise, the chassis is the same though
Old 08-08-2013

So is there anything to stop us buying the new 2.0 changed geometry bits (steering/ trailing spindles) and adding them to the standard car?
Old 08-08-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by diago999 View Post
So is there anything to stop us buying the new 2.0 changed geometry bits (steering/ trailing spindles) and adding them to the standard car?
The new front spindle/caster blocks will fit straight onto the V1 platform if you don't want to buy the new kit, as will the wishbones.

HTH
Old 08-08-2013

chassis should be different:

They took a stock chassis and drilled the holes I think. So all shiny holes should be new
BTW what is: Adjustable CVA Offset, and thx I looked at the hubs and understand it now. thought the hole hub would be more located downwards.
Old 08-08-2013

yer looks to be a extra set of holes drilled with the additional hole holding the pivot block in too

so.....touch wood..... that mid motor battery/esc strap should fit on

but only time will tell i guess

Have all the part numbers for the v2.0 be uploaded yet?

i cant seem to find out when this kit is out?

thanks again guys

TLR 22 2.0
Speed Passion
Sanwa
SMC
Old 08-08-2013

Quote:
yer looks to be a extra set of holes drilled with the additional hole holding the pivot block in too

so.....touch wood..... that mid motor battery/esc strap should fit on

but only time will tell i guess

Have all the part numbers for the v2.0 be uploaded yet?

i cant seem to find out when this kit is out?

thanks again guys
Kit should be in the country around September, probably more towards the end of the month.

Here is a link to the manual that will have a spares list in it;

http://www.tlracing.com/ProdInfo/Fil...002_manual.pdf
Old 08-08-2013

Front Pivot, HRC, Aluminum: 22/2.0/T/SCT

http://www.tlracing.com/Products/Default.aspx?ProdID=TLR334015

22 2.0 Cab Forward Body and Wing Set, w/Stickers

http://www.tlracing.com/Products/Default.aspx?ProdID=TLR330000

Rear Arm Set: 22/2.0

http://www.tlracing.com/Products/Default.aspx?ProdID=TLR234005

Front Arm Set: 22/2.0

http://www.tlracing.com/Products/Default.aspx?ProdID=TLR234004

Battery Strap, Rear Mtr Carbon Fiber: 22/2.0/T/SCT

http://www.tlracing.com/Products/Default.aspx?ProdID=TLR331010
Old 08-08-2013

Delves, what does the tiny little grub screw (TLR6289) that goes into the aluminum front pivot block on page 17 do?

also congratulations on the new layout, (rear motor and then mid motor) much easier to read through

Question, can anyone see any issues with using saddles side by side with this new motor brace/battery compartment/flap bit and just using some foam to pad out the end, or modifying it so the post is moved closer?