Go Back   oOple.com Forums > Car Talk > Yokomo

Old 24-05-2006

Default Yokomo MR4 BC 2 Special

My first post here, I love the site! Great reviews and information.
I do need an opinion from you experienced 4WD racers. Is it worth racing my BC Special or getting a new buggy? The 4WD scene with 19t motor is picking up at my local track here in America and this is what I have to go up against the Losi's. My main problem is I have no spares for the car and it is box stock. I would assume for the typical US supercross style tracks I would need the slipper, correct? So factoring in the usual spares and slipper, I am up around the cost of the Kyosho Lazer ZX-5. So I am wrestling with the choice of new car or buy spares.

What is the more intelligent choice? I have never raced the BC Special so I have no clue how durable it is under race conditions. I have only run on tracks by myself at a leisurely pace. I'd hate to race it and be fixing it after every race. I have been down that road before...lol!

Thanks for any insight that you guys can provide.
Old 24-05-2006
Spends too long on oOple ...

buy a new car, get something up-to-date or go and pick up a XX-4 on eBay.
Old 24-05-2006
Administrator

The BC special is fun to drive, I really liked mine, but its also a handful, and bit manic!. spares are expensive.

The ZX5 does need a couple of things, the front tower mount isnt strong enough, not sure if there is a new updated version or not yet, but you can get alloy ones, needs an alloy front brace also really.. so, adds up the cost a bit.

The XX4 is pretty good, spares are a bit expensive also.. I broke 2 belts in mine before I set the slipper up properly, its been ok for a couple of races now.. but working on it to replace a belt, or indeed do anything is chore.
Old 24-05-2006

If I look for a new buggy, which is the most durable? I know in this segment, durable is relative, lol! I may be able to trade my 1/8 scale buggy for a BJ4x4 WE. I notice their is no review of it on the main page. Is it good, bad or currently being reviewed and I should be patient?
Old 24-05-2006
Spends too long on oOple ...

the reveiw is on its way, Mr oOple works for a living and does this in his own time.
Old 24-05-2006

I totally understand. I really like his reviews and wanted to make sure I wait so I am as informed as possible. My wife bought the BC special as a Christmas gift a few years back so I had no choice. This time I want to get the best I can afford.
Old 24-05-2006
Administrator

The BJ4we is the next one Im working on, just finished one tonight, tho not applicable to your hunt for a car im afraid.
Old 24-05-2006
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

See what you can get for the BC, buy a BJ4, race

There's no need to add anything to make it competitive/durable enough, just screw it togeather and drive it. Also being shaft drive you've got almost zero maintinence on the drivetrain once it's built
Old 24-05-2006
Administrator

apart from your chewed gears the other week rich I had the original BJ4 and apart from the weak B4 front arms which are relatively cheap- the thing was like a tank.. i never broke anything from jconcepts and never took the drivetrain apart to check anything.. definately solid cars.
Old 25-05-2006
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

Hehe, that was my fault though for putting them fancy Acer bearings in the car. They have a tiny bit of movement in them which let the mesh change slightly under load which is what messed the gears up. They're fine in the B4 as there's no side loading on them in the gearbox but in the BJ they're a no-no
If you use the origonal Avid's that come with the car you never strip gears :smile:
Old 25-05-2006
Administrator

ahhhh

schoolboy error there rich. gonna say, those drivetrains are super strong..
Old 25-05-2006

Thanks for the follow up guys. Looks like I have found a deal trading my Jammin Buggy for an unopened BJ4 WE. Looking forward to racing it!