Go Back   oOple.com Forums > Car Talk > General Car Talk

Old 24-10-2011
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

Quote:
Originally Posted by kayce View Post
If that were the case, then it seems you would all be running UK-designed cars as well.
Not at all true, the racing surface (usually grass or astro turf in the UK) has a huge impact on tire choice. After all the tire is 90% of the setup, no matter how nicely balanced your roll centres etc are if you have no grip your not going anywhere quickly.

A well designed car should have geometry adjustable enough to cope with most situations (although some are harder to get to work than others).
Old 24-10-2011
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by RogerM View Post
Not at all true, the racing surface (usually grass or astro turf in the UK) has a huge impact on tire choice. After all the tire is 90% of the setup, no matter how nicely balanced your roll centres etc are if you have no grip your not going anywhere quickly.

A well designed car should have geometry adjustable enough to cope with most situations (although some are harder to get to work than others).
I just luv how the myths keep piling up.

So now you're also going to say Schumaker's rubber formula, and pin designs, was designed specifically for astro/grass?
Old 24-10-2011
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

Not so much, but they are better suited to it than the compounds and pin designs from companies like Proline who mostly work on dirt surfaces. And the reverse is also true.

Schumachers current range is a result of evolution - they have made other compounds in the past that have not survived, and other tyre patterns. When I started the range was 'hard' or 'soft' and you could have spikes, cut spikes or blocks. No minispikes or pins, 2wd fronts were either studs (2 row) or ribspikes. Models come and go, the ones that last are basically the ones that sell - and the ones that sell are those that work best.
With a large share of the UK market, Schumachers tyres have simply evolved to meet our needs better and better. At the same time, US companies have evolved their ranges to suit the needs of their key market - the US. This means that their tyres are less and less suitable for our tracks.

Not magic, just marketing.

Yz4 - Yz2
DEX210 - Cobra 4210- DEX410
RC10 Team - Manta Ray -
RC10T
Mini Trophy - Blizzard - Wheely King
Tz4 - GT24B

BMRCC
Emergency back-up race controller
(but only if nobody better is available)
Old 01-11-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Si Coe View Post
Not so much, but they are better suited to it than the compounds and pin designs from companies like Proline who mostly work on dirt surfaces. And the reverse is also true.

Schumachers current range is a result of evolution - they have made other compounds in the past that have not survived, and other tyre patterns. When I started the range was 'hard' or 'soft' and you could have spikes, cut spikes or blocks. No minispikes or pins, 2wd fronts were either studs (2 row) or ribspikes. Models come and go, the ones that last are basically the ones that sell - and the ones that sell are those that work best.
With a large share of the UK market, Schumachers tyres have simply evolved to meet our needs better and better. At the same time, US companies have evolved their ranges to suit the needs of their key market - the US. This means that their tyres are less and less suitable for our tracks.

Well said and totaly agree.

Could i just ask how much better wearing are dboots than schumachers?

And is the grip that much worse?
Old 01-11-2011
Banned

Quote:
Schumachers current range is a result of evolution - they have made other compounds in the past that have not survived, and other tyre patterns. When I started the range was 'hard' or 'soft' and you could have spikes, cut spikes or blocks. No minispikes or pins, 2wd fronts were either studs (2 row) or ribspikes.
I thought Schumacher all but invented the mini-pin, with their original release way back in the late 1980s/early 90s ????

Quote:

That might be true - but all I'm suggesting is that it's likely also a matter of availability, so while a U.S. shop might be lucky to have any Schumacher tyres on the wall, I would guess there the complete line on the wall of every U.K. shop (and vice versa in the U.S. where brands like Proline and JConcepts are more readily available and accessible).
Old 01-11-2011
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

I remember running Kyosho H patterns long before I'd ever seen a set of mini-pins so I'm not so sure.

Yz4 - Yz2
DEX210 - Cobra 4210- DEX410
RC10 Team - Manta Ray -
RC10T
Mini Trophy - Blizzard - Wheely King
Tz4 - GT24B

BMRCC
Emergency back-up race controller
(but only if nobody better is available)