Go Back   oOple.com Forums > General > International fOrums > Ireland

Old 08-03-2012
Mad Member

Question Clubman Class ESC List

Perhaps this could be adopted by the RCCAOI?

http://www.brca.org/sites/default/fi...9;s%202011.pdf
Old 09-03-2012

Send a message via Skype™ to dmcracing

Don't see why not.
Old 09-03-2012

It would certainly make things clearer
Old 09-03-2012

It makes life a lot easier knowing there is no timing on an ESC just by looking at the LEDs.

www.dublinmodelracing.com
Old 09-03-2012

Just spent the last hour trying to change settings on my Hobbeywing esc with the program box to set it in "blinky" mode with no luck....finally the penny has dropped that I need to download the HW/speed passion 508 software....is this easy to do?
Old 09-03-2012

Yes,Where are you located?
Old 09-03-2012

Send a message via MSN to colmo Send a message via Skype™ to colmo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rayzerp View Post
Just spent the last hour trying to change settings on my Hobbeywing esc with the program box to set it in "blinky" mode with no luck....finally the penny has dropped that I need to download the HW/speed passion 508 software....is this easy to do?
Get on the Hobbywing site, download the app, plug the program box into the computer with the car attached and follow the instructions, iirc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by h0m3sy View Post
It's a good starting point, but I see some missing ESCs - I for example have v1 (or v1.1) Xerun and Speedpassion 120A escs (basically twin units, the same program box works on both), which have no dynamic timing capability.

There are also no Nosram speedos (it would be handy if there was a table somewhere showing what their LRP twins are). No Fusion Exceed sets (they'd be clubman legal) either.

I'd see no harm in allowing any ESC as long as there's no sensor wire, which would cover folks with RTR kits.

Photos:
Oople Invernational 2010 - Sodden Sunday
Muchmore N. Irish GP 2010 (Touring cars)
BADMCC 1/8th Nitro buggies

Current cars:
X6^2 | JC BJ4WE | TM E4 & E4JS | HPI E-Firestorm | Losi Crawler | + many F1s, super crawlers, scalers, drifters in the works...
Old 09-03-2012

Hi Lads,

Totally agree, I think it's a good idea.

The likes of a Cirtix Stock Club makes things very simple, no timing settings & not programable.

Once you have an ESC that has the ability to make changes things start getting complicated!!

Is it going too far to specify a certain model of 10.5 motor?

This would focus the clubman championship on driving ability only, which is the way it should be.
Old 09-03-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmcracing View Post
Yes,Where are you located?
Ray Power.....guy with the Vega 4.1

I have the hobbeywing USB link on pc....and it finds the software update that includes the 508 but when I click download it says "update failed"
Old 09-03-2012

Bring it over to me on Sunday in the Naul and I will sort it for ya.Unless you are racing tomorrow in fivemiletown as I will be there also.
Old 09-03-2012

Quote:
Bring it over to me on Sunday in the Naul and I will sort it for ya.Unless you are racing tomorrow in fivemiletown as I will be there also.
Not racing tomorrow but will be in the Naul on Sunday.......thanks a lot
Old 09-03-2012

Quote:
Success!
I downloaded the speedpassion USB link and had no problems uploading the 508 software......thanks for offer of help though
Old 09-03-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Click View Post
Is it going too far to specify a certain model of 10.5 motor?

This would focus the clubman championship on driving ability only, which is the way it should be.

There is!

http://www.brca.org/sites/default/fi...012A%20pdf.pdf

Old 09-03-2012

Quote:

I was wonder guys as I have some experience with the lrp sxx v2 and its setup. If what I am looking at is right and according to the brca setup list blinky mode is done by setting mode 3 set to 0. But what this does is turns of timing boost, what is not covered is timing advancement which is mode 4 on a sxx. Currently in clubman there should be no boost and no advance timing, only motor advancing is allowed. Am I to assume that what people want is to change to brca and allow timing advancement on the speedo and motor now? Or am I reading this wrong.
Old 09-03-2012

Quote:

I was wonder guys as I have some experience with the lrp sxx v2 and its setup. If what I am looking at is right and according to the brca setup list blinky mode is done by setting mode 3 set to 0. But what this does is turns off the timing boost but what is not covered is timing advancement which is mode 4 on a sxx. Currently in clubman there should be no boost and no advance timing, only motor advancing is allowed. Am I to assume that what people want is to change to brca and allow timing advancement on the speedo and motor now? Or am I reading this wrong.
Old 10-03-2012

Send a message via MSN to colmo Send a message via Skype™ to colmo

I see no distinction between adjusting static timing in the esc or motor. The end result is the same - the absolute kv of the motor increases, and efficiency goes down. I presume some torque is lost, but the differences would be no more than gearing up or down a bit - as in gearing, the effect is constant throughout the rpm range. It's only really a problem in classes with restricted gearing options, like Minis. Dynamic timing is a whole other matter, giving mod performance with a stock motor, and puts a premium on escs and their firmware - an arms race, as there is in touring cars.

Photos:
Oople Invernational 2010 - Sodden Sunday
Muchmore N. Irish GP 2010 (Touring cars)
BADMCC 1/8th Nitro buggies

Current cars:
X6^2 | JC BJ4WE | TM E4 & E4JS | HPI E-Firestorm | Losi Crawler | + many F1s, super crawlers, scalers, drifters in the works...
Old 10-03-2012

That rules Alan and me out so as the esc we use are too old and not on the list ?????
EZRUN-60-A-SL
Sphere comp 80700
No blinky modes on either.
Old 10-03-2012

Ivan your speedo is not listed because of the fact it is so old. There is no boost feature so no reason to list it. The list is approved esc whos boost setup can be turned off and set to run to the stock brca rules. I dont believe it rules out older speedos as they dont have boost availible and hence cant run a blinky mode as it not there to turn off.
Old 10-03-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mugenextreme View Post
Currently in clubman there should be no boost and no advance timing, only motor advancing is allowed. Am I to assume that what people want is to change to brca and allow timing advancement on the speedo and motor now? Or am I reading this wrong.
I took it that what was being suggested is that we are only allowed to use the speedos on that list. Keeping the whole no timing on the ESC as currently is. Though I could be wrong! (blinky on a tekin means no timing or boost whatsoever)

I was thinking about this, and i reckon, yes its nice to be able to tell if a speedo has no timing advance or boosts, but as long as a driver has some method of showing this thats all thats important (using laptops, showing the user manual, showing the blinky LEDs, what ever)

Already the DMCC rules and the RCCAOI rules show that for a competition the Battery and Motor should be EFRA/BRCA approved. I think we should keep it that way.
Going down the road of forcing people to use particular ESCs could be forcing people with old or HK type escs to go out and buy new ones with money they havent got. This may particulary effect new racers, and with the small following we have here in ireland, we dont want to be scaring anyone off.
Lets keep the current clubman class as is.. 10.5 and no ESC timing or boost

Old 11-03-2012

I agree. Leave it as it is. Clubman 10.5 and now further advancement on the esc whatever
If you want to go faster. GO MODIFIED