Go Back   oOple.com Forums > Car Talk > Tamiya

Old 04-05-2006

Send a message via MSN to craigosh
Default Anyone tried Losi shocks on the DI?

I read on another forum, somthing about losi shocks not fitting, somthing about the body being to long, but the fronts off a bk2 are 0.6" stroke wereas b4 front shocks, which i've seen on a few DI's, are 0.8" stroke.

Has anyone got both, that they can measure the body length of?

I've got a load of losi springs and some bk2 shocks on the dyna storm that i could swap over...

will losi springs fit the associated bodies? if i do have to buy associated shocks then i dont really want to buy a load of new springs just for that car..
Old 04-05-2006

It really depends upon how you plan to mount them ie: which holes in the arms.

For the front, if you are going to run either of the inner two mounting positions on the arm (IMO required for correct geometry), then they will probably be too long.

The df-02 shocks are just about a perfect fit, it terms of droop to travel ratio, and they are quite a bit shorter than the shocks on the front of my old XXX Losi.

My Df02 front shocks measure approx 71mm between the centres of the two mounting points, possibly a few mm longer when using the longest tamiya ball-end. Maybe someone can post the length of B4 aand Bk2 shocks?

The rears I don't think will be a problem, especially if you use the outer arm hole.
Old 04-05-2006
Spends too long on oOple ...

B4 is about 77mm abd the BK2 about 78mm, I have looked into it and think it may be the way to go, but you would need to make a new shock bracket on the front.

Keep watching, once I clear a backlog of shells for spraying, I am going to set work on the DI and make a new tower and some other mods, like flipping the front wishbones, longer front shocks and general improvements.
Old 04-05-2006

DCM- What is the idea behind reversing the front arms?

Regarding the shocks, I'm of the opinion that it is better to wait until we see what the df-03 optional shocks are available.

I'm certainly not keen on having bigger shocks on the front, because a taller tower will increase the likelyhood of stress on the gearbox top.

If the df-02 shocks prove to be good enough long term (or the new shocks are similar length) then I'd like to swap to a short ball-end and run an even lower tower than the kit item, as at the very least it will reduce the possibility of any breakage in the front end.

My prototype rear tower is already approx 5mm shorter than std, in an attempt to get the right amount of droop when running the outer arm hole, and will probably become even lower depending upon what shocks and ball-end combination I choose.

Incidently, a search of the net reveals a large number of guys in Japan working on this car, doing all sorts of interesting mods to it. I for one am quite enjoying the ability to have a car and be able to personally customize it, rather than simply dropping a very boring 2wd on the track just like everyone else
Old 04-05-2006
Spends too long on oOple ...

Right, I want to run longer shocks on the front, it will help with car balance as there just isn't enough movement on the front, suspension wise, and having to run the absorbers close inboard, you have to up the oil weight and pack to get a reasonable movement. By switching to either Losi or AE shocks, flipping the wishbone will effectively raise the front wheel a little for a given shock position, this will allow a slightly longer shock, so by going to intermediate front lengths rather than short, it will give a better and more composed suspension movement. It also lengthens the wheelbase a little.

Got some links for mods happening?
Old 04-05-2006
Supah doOpah

Send a message via MSN to PaulRotheram

craig, ive got a spare set of bk2 losi shocks that i use as experimentation shocks, if you want when you get the car bring it to southport and you can see if they fit? then you can decide what your going to do.
Old 28-05-2006

i mounted up a set of duratrax evader bx threaded shocks to mine, not to crazy bout them being duratrax, but they are workin great untill my trf's arive. they are the perfect length, and no mods or cutting were required.