Go Back   oOple.com Forums > Events & Venues > BRCA Nationals & Regionals > Scotland

Old 20-10-2010

Default looking for buggy club in Glasgow area from the '80s

hi, anyone know what happened to the rc club that used to be located in Anniesland/Knightswood area. Used to be a member in the '80s and wonder if it's still there. Love to see if I can get in touch with a couple of people I used to race with then. I cannot for the life of me remember the name of the club though. Thanks.
Old 20-10-2010

We have a buggy club at pollok in glasgow, you might remember stevie mcaruthur, he raced in the 80s and is doing doing it. Check out www.ekmodelcarclub.co.uk. We meet on wednesday nights, the hall is very small, but we still manage 2 and 4wd buggies.
Old 20-10-2010

I remember racing Scottish Championships back in late 80s on what I remember as a very very bumpy semi-permanent track in Glasgow. All I can remember for some reason is that it was next to a Peugeot/Talbot garage and iirc there was a bowling green next to it too.

Not very helpful, but would be hugely surprised if still there, but curiously I have wondered many years on where that actually was. (was only 13 at the time)
Old 20-10-2010

I'm struggling to remember myself, problem with being so young

Anyway, not heard anything about the club for a while (like 15 years anyway), they did race on the ex bowling green for the Scottish National that year. I think it was David Frew that organised/ran the club.

David, have a word with George H, I'm sure he would have raced there as well, see if he can fill in any details.
Old 20-10-2010

It was a chap called David Frew that ran the club then, ably assisted by Eric Brawley, I believe. It was either part of the Barr & Stroud social club or used part of their facilities.

Eric is still somewhere - in 10th Nitro I think. His name pops up from time to time on VRC, so he's still playing with "toys cars". I haven't heard of David being involved anywhere in the past 10 years.

Always a great meeting - friendly and well run, despite the larger number back then. We went through (Dundee) on mass back then and half of us came home with pots! I'll dig up some photos if I've still got them (beware the haircuts and clothes - that's all I'll say..)

And less of the "young", Careful - you're old enough to have forgotten a fair bit... LOL!!!

Last edited by Donutt; 20-10-2010 at 03:04 PM. Reason: slagging Derek...
Old 22-10-2010

raymondkerr: thanks for the link, unfortunately the name Stevie McAruthur does not ring a bell. The name Stuart Lekie(?) popped up though looking at Stevie's name.

Dave77: I may have been in the same race if it was the track behind the club house. For some reason they set up a new one just for the big race. I remembered the front wheel of my Topcat coming off just as the 5min went up.

Mr Eccleston & Donutt: Thanks for confirming the name that's been swimming around my head. Somehow Frewer's bodies and Frew got mixed up and thought "nah" can't be that name. Anyway you were right, it was always friendly and very packed every meeting. Brings back good memories. Thanks.
Old 22-10-2010

Ahh Mr Stuart Leckie, another name from the past.

As far as I know he's in Canada, he does come "home" every now and again, used to try and race at the iGP in February when he could.
Old 22-10-2010

Zoomzoombang:

Yes I remember racing one of the years behind the clubhouse, track was smooth. I had a disasterous meeting when my Nosram Exterminator Pro kept cutting out (turned out the relay sticking out the top was causing problems).

Its a amazing what you remember from the past, I can remember all the disasters of meetings but fewer of the ones that went well including the wins...... I also cant remember what I did last week, never mind 20 yrs ago.

I remember the Frews as well now, did he not have 2 sons who raced too.?

George sent me a list of the Scottish Champs results from 1986 or 87, its scary some of the names on there from the past.
Old 25-10-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave77 View Post
Zoomzoombang:
[snip] [snip]
I remember the Frews as well now, did he not have 2 sons who raced too.?

George sent me a list of the Scottish Champs results from 1986 or 87, its scary some of the names on there from the past.
I thought they had a boy and girl, but that's a very leaky memory recalling. I do remember a pair of brothers who raced. They got better really quickly during winter when the club moved indoors to a school somewhere in St Leonards (I think), East Kilbride. They then changed ride to a Lazer and there was no stopping them. Oh, I also remember David Frew's mod for indoors for his optima. He changed to the original swb one and made new f/g shock mount with NO shocks. He used tie rods instead. His car was quite low to the ground and sharp handling I recall.

Would love to have a look at that list and see if I recognize any of the racers. Any chance of a soft copy?
Old 05-02-2011

the brothers who raced at st leonards... was theat the Marletta's?

Ayrshire radio control car club
Carlisle radio model car club
Old 14-02-2011

Yeah, I raced at most of the Glasgow and area clubs from about 1983
Still race, but indeed in Canada these days
Also still in touch with Eric and a couple of others from the original club.

Feel free to send me a PM

Stu

1995 Scottish On-Road champion
2004/05 WesternCanadian Touring Modified and Touring 19 turn Champ
2004, 2005, 2006 and 2007 World of Wheels Champ
Old 16-02-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigchris View Post
the brothers who raced at st leonards... was theat the Marletta's?
hey Chris,
that was Giacomo and Paulo.
great guys to race with.
and their uncle, Aldo, owned the shop near the art gallery in Glasgow.
Kenmore models I think?? On Radnor street maybe??

Old 31-10-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by stulec52 View Post
hey Chris,
that was Giacomo and Paulo.
great guys to race with.
and their uncle, Aldo, owned the shop near the art gallery in Glasgow.
Kenmore models I think?? On Radnor street maybe??
wasn't Aldo's used to be located here? http://goo.gl/maps/65dZZ
Old 31-10-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave77 View Post
I remember racing Scottish Championships back in late 80s on what I remember as a very very bumpy semi-permanent track in Glasgow. All I can remember for some reason is that it was next to a Peugeot/Talbot garage and iirc there was a bowling green next to it too.

Not very helpful, but would be hugely surprised if still there, but curiously I have wondered many years on where that actually was. (was only 13 at the time)
David, The track was near Anniesland cross and there was a big car dealership there. Remember the parking was an issue unless you got there very early and I do remember someones car getting broken into At first the track was built on an old bowling green below the club house and laterly behind the club house on flat grass which was a bit like the Ever Ready GP at Falkirk. Funny I remember using the first Mtoniks speedo there and it gave me interferance

George
Old 21-12-2012

I seem to remember another club that ran in the school at the top of the hill past Anniesland Cross? (heading west from the cross)
Old 21-12-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Eccleston View Post
I'm struggling to remember myself, problem with being so young
Christ Derek you were actually a junior once upon a time
Old 14-08-2016

Default Glasgow buggy club

I used to race at Anniesland way back in the olden days. Looks like I'm even too late for this thread! I remember David Frew well, and I did "bump into" Eric Brawley on vrc pro a few years back. Has anyone got any photos from back then? I had a pretty good mullet on the go in those days

I can't seem to find any Glasgow-based clubs now that do (outdoors) offroad 1/10. Does anyone know of one?
Old 20-10-2016

We race 1:10 buggies indoors on a Wednesday night. Check us out on http://glasgowrc.com/. It's a bit more friendly with the Glasgow weather!

Duncan Pole
www.glasgowrc.com

ae B6.2 & B6.2D
ae RC10 Team Car (original black tub version)
Sanwa - Reedy - Savox - Hobbywing - Centro - THR

If I have any stuff for sale you will find it here:-
http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/duncanglas...1&_ipg=&_from=
Old 01-02-2017

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon Stockwood View Post
I used to race at Anniesland way back in the olden days. Looks like I'm even too late for this thread! I remember David Frew well, and I did "bump into" Eric Brawley on vrc pro a few years back. Has anyone got any photos from back then? I had a pretty good mullet on the go in those days

I can't seem to find any Glasgow-based clubs now that do (outdoors) offroad 1/10. Does anyone know of one?
Just wondering if you found any old pictures??

I know Jimmy Hamilton used to take some great pictures at the national events back then, but I haven't seen many pictures from when we raced at Anniesland, or Millarston before that, or even further back at the old Co-Op hypermarket loading bay (I'd bet only a very small handful of guys remember that one )

Old 16-03-2018

Hey Stuart - I remember you too! I used to come along with Frank Gallacher - not sure what happened to him. He had a way better mullet than me, and he drove a Ford XR2 like a total nutter - it was always touch and go whether I'd get to the club alive

I didn't get any photos, but I've bumped into Jimmy Hamilton at the Dumfries club. I'll need to see if he has any to show me.

It's funny because I've just been reviving my old Cat XLS that I used to run back in the late 80s (using too many re-issue Schumacher parts!). I've kept the original bodyshell which still has "Kenmure Model Co" stickers on it. I had forgotten about Aldo - another name from the past!

I'll need to check out the Glasgow club too. I've been racing at Dunfirmline for a season and a half now, and really enjoying it, but it's a hell of a hike from Helensburgh....