Go Back   oOple.com Forums > Events & Venues > CLUB TALK > Bury Metro

Old 18-12-2013

Default new racer

Hi people

Names Rik. I'm new to racing but not to rc, so I'm going to start racing at bury in march on the astro track. Have bought myself a schumacher cougar kf to race with and am going to buy electronics in the coming weeks. My list so far includes:-

Hobbywing xerun v3.1
2 x sensored brushless motor 7.5t & 8.5t (not sure which brand just yet)
Savox 1258tg servo
Mylaps harry pt
Futaba 4pl/4pk tx rx
And a go
So i've already built the kit and i have to say the schumacher manual and kit is by far the best and easiest i've ever followed, had it built in 4ish hours and can't wait to get it on track.

The only questions i have are, what are the best tyres for astro, i was looking at mini pins for rear and cut staggers for the fronts. Which would be best for wet racing. Also are there any club specific rules/requirements regards motors, lipo etc

Thanks for reading and I look forward to losing to you all sometime

Rik
Old 18-12-2013

Hi rik,
Bury outdoor we use schuy minispike yellow rears and yellow cut staggers front on 2wd,
Track is good for drying out but i use BB green on the rear when wet/very damp with the cut staggers up front.
Works for me and some others too.
No rules regarding motor/lipo set-up but you will need BRCA license after i think 3 meetings.
Sworkz
Bury metro
Old 18-12-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maddy View Post
Hi rik,
Bury outdoor we use schuy minispike yellow rears and yellow cut staggers front on 2wd,
Track is good for drying out but i use BB green on the rear when wet/very damp with the cut staggers up front.
Works for me and some others too.
No rules regarding motor/lipo set-up but you will need BRCA license after i think 3 meetings.
Thanks maddy, can i purchase brca membership at club and does it run annualy from d.o.p or from 1st jan thru 31st dec?

Cheers

Last edited by cyberdog-styles; 18-12-2013 at 10:10 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 19-12-2013

Hi, BRCA runs Jan to Dec as you suggested.. p.s. sorry for jacking your thread..
Old 19-12-2013

hobbywing speedo's are quite good... and a 8.5t or 7.5t will be plenty if your just starting out too

you can purchase the BRCA licence through their website, its £17

cant wait for march myself either.....give the 22 2.0 a good run at bury this year

Chris

TLR 22 2.0
Speed Passion
Sanwa
SMC
Old 19-12-2013

Hi mate welcome to the club,

As Cremegg (Chris) suggests by far the easiest way to attain your BRCA licence these days is to do it yourself online, a far quicker process than going through the club but can still be arranged through the club if required.

The gear you have listed is of a good spec and will be more than capable of competing. As Chris says both the 8.5 and 7.5 will provide ample power, for me though I would go for the 8.5 version as slightly slower wind motors feel smoother to drive and can still be made just as quick on top end as a 7.5 by adjusting speed controller settings and gear ratios if required.

Tyres at Bury is a very simple choice as our AstroTurf is one of the grippiest you will race on. Schumacher yellow minispikes on the rear and Schumacher Yellow low profile cut staggers on the front (There is a strange way of gluing up these front tyres however that involves cutting your front wheels narrower but just check in with somebody here nearer the time for the details) In the Damp/wet use Ballistic Buggy Minispikes in green compound on the rear axle and either the same yellow cut staggers on the front as in the dry or maybe staggers in silver compound if your suffering from understeer.

The club does have an indoor winter series running between now and March, dates are in the calendar section, so if you wanna nip up one Sunday myself and others will be happy to help you out.

Chris
Old 19-12-2013

Hi rik

Regarding tyres, you could also try Ballistic buggy (BB) whites on the rear too

some people prefer them to yellow minispikes

TLR 22 2.0
Speed Passion
Sanwa
SMC
Old 19-12-2013
Mad Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cremegg View Post
Hi rik

Regarding tyres, you could also try Ballistic buggy (BB) whites on the rear too

some people prefer them to yellow minispikes

Not many at bury though..... Far too grippy for whites
G Paint
Answer RC
Old 22-12-2013

Thanks for the advice folks, much appreciated.

@ chris elworthy. Cheers mate, i'm going to pop down to oldham in jan when i get a sunday off, problem is i work nights, 4on, 4off plus overtime so probably will be closer til the end of jan. For the asrto season im going to be using my holiday pay on sundays i should be working, but i do have to do saturday's, so practice sessions are out, am i allowed to practice mon to fri? Cheers

Rik
Old 22-12-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by emtee View Post
Hi, BRCA runs Jan to Dec as you suggested.. p.s. sorry for jacking your thread..
No jacking done mate, all info is good info
Old 22-12-2013
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

We don't race every week anyway so you'll need to check out our calendar.

Summer is every other week. Actually we might run every week next summer - we couldn't last year because I was race controller and just couldn't do every Sunday but we've got a few people who can run meetings now so it might be more frequent.

Winter meetings in Oldham are once a month.

There is no official practice. The outdoor track is in a public park and there is nothing to stop you climbing the fence. The track markers won't be set out but fixed obstacles like jumps are there for you to get basic idea. Lots of members go and test their cars this way. You can't practice for the indoor races as we only build the track just before racing.

Yz4 - Yz2
DEX210 - Cobra 4210- DEX410
RC10 Team - Manta Ray -
RC10T
Mini Trophy - Blizzard - Wheely King
Tz4 - GT24B

BMRCC
Emergency back-up race controller
(but only if nobody better is available)
Old 18-01-2014

Have bought the leccies for the buggy now and went with a Speed Passion Reventon Pro esc with an HPI Flux pro comp 7.5t motor and the Savox 1258tg for steering duties. I also went with the reccomended tyres, shcu minispike yellows rear with medium inserts and cut stagger yellow on front, no inserts. im going to trim the front wheels down and trim the lower lip off the staggers before glueing, so ignore the way they look in these pics

cheers for reading

Rik

Last edited by cyberdog-styles; 18-01-2014 at 04:04 AM. Reason: pictures
Old 18-01-2014

Looks sweet mate! Get yourself down tomorrow why not give it it's first meeting?

Chris
Old 18-01-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Elworthy View Post
Looks sweet mate! Get yourself down tomorrow why not give it it's first meeting?

Chris
Id love to but i haven't bought radio gear yet and there is too much latency on my bashing gear for the track. If im going to crash i want it to be because of my bad driving and not because there's a delay in my car responding to my inputs. Think other drivers would also appreciate this. I may come down and watch tho.